• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Hampshire Trip

dmgood

We are traveling to New England from south central Pennsylvania. I'm thinking we can make it to the Coffee an' Donut Shop in Westport, CT, for a late morning snack, Johnny Ad's by lunch time, and to Woodman's or the Clam Box for supper. And then head over to New Hampshire for the week.

We will be in the White Mountains. For a day trip, we could drive down to the Lakes region or over to Maine (Portland). I plan to hit the Tamarack Drive-In close to Weir's Beach for lobster roll. Does any one have recommendations for some good eating in New Hampshire?

I've been reading the forums and HollyEats, but the info on New Hampshire seems a little sparse. I hope the highlights of my week are not only from the drive to and from my actual vacation destination...

Thanks!!!

Could you tell us a little more specifically where in the White Mountains you'll be? I don't want to give you recommendations for Lincoln if you're going to be in Conway. Thanks.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Our home base will be in Lincoln (Loon Mt) but will most likely be doing day trips to surrounding areas.

Also, we're not looking for 5-star fine dining, but more the 5-grease stain joint a la HollyEats.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

I could not have picked a worse reply than my first one to this post. I don't know the first thing about Lincoln except that it's on the Kanc. Sorry and good luck!

The Common Man in Lincoln was good the last time was there. There's Gordy's (sp?) Steak House, also in Lincoln. Woodstock Station in neighboring North Woodstock is a fun place -- hearty food and their own brews. The front end of the same building has a more upscale place.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Day trips:

In Conway is a seafood shack called Jonathon's - tasty fried seafood and lobster rolls. They have a hot fried lobster roll that is also good - daily shipments from the coast. Conway is around 45 minutes from Lincoln.

Also in Conway is the Moat - mostly known for their beer selection.

In Osipee is a place called the Yankee Smokehouse - I would probably only rate this as 3 grease stains, but it's whole lotta smoked pig for your money. See my recent post.

Up in Jackson, NH is the Red Fox Pub. Very family, with a hysterical salad bar, decent pub grub and good beers on tap.

In Osipee is a place called the Yankee Smokehouse - I would probably only rate this as 3 grease stains, but it's whole lotta smoked pig for your money.

I was disappointed on our last stop there -- meager portions.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Second to the suggestion of Moat Mountain Brewhouse in Conway. Great beers and much more than the usual gamut of pub food - potstickers, Thai chicken pizza, and the Smoked Brisket Nachos are all definitely called for if visiting.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

We leave June 16th. Any additional suggestions or recommendations are welcome until then.

When I get back, I'll let you know what I found worth raving about.

Elvios pizza in both Lincoln and North Conway is surprisingly good (for Northern NH). Their claim to being the best pizza 'north of the Bronx' overlooks a little pizza town called New Haven, but their pies are good. I always enjoy the Yankee Smokehouse, but for me the experience is always improved due to the nostalgia factor (yearly summer trips to the White Mountains were always capped off with a trip to the happy pig place). Besides, they have a great motto.