• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FoodTV Canada Insider Program

Pam R

Pheh. I also noticed the spots on HGTV about the insider program.

I haven't really been a fan of Alton, but I saw a couple of episodes of Feasting on Asphalt when I was in the States and I really enjoyed it. I'd also like to see Ace of Cakes on the air.

New shows on FoodTV's page:

Feasting On Asphalt

Nigella Feasts

Paula's Home Cooking

Good Deal With Dave Lieberman

Chefography With Ina Garten

Ham On The Street

Ricardo And Friends

The Heat

This Food, That Wine

Top Chef

And new seasons from a bunch of old favourites... these all can't be starting for the fall season.. (?)

I made a demo tape for them a while back, I had this bright idea that they might think it was a good idea to have a chocolate show.  The young lady who politely told me to forget it said that their 'demographics' were such that their prime audience wasn't interested in actually making things, just watching other people cook and being entertained by food.  Seems consistant with the crap they are showing these days.  I haven't found anything interesting but reruns to watch on their network yet this season.

I think we can safely assume that the only ones who will hear from them again are the young males.

FTV isn't about learning anymore; it's purely about selling advertising by keeping the current viewers returning regularly, and all they want to see is cleavage.

I think you should send your tape to WNED.

I made a demo tape for them a while back, I had this bright idea that they might think it was a good idea to have a chocolate show.  The young lady who politely told me to forget it said that their 'demographics' were such that their prime audience wasn't interested in actually making things, just watching other people cook and being entertained by food.  Seems consistant with the crap they are showing these days.  I haven't found anything interesting but reruns to watch on their network yet this season.

I think we can safely assume that the only ones who will hear from them again are the young males.

FTV isn't about learning anymore; it's purely about selling advertising by keeping the current viewers returning regularly, and all they want to see is cleavage.

I think you should send your tape to WNED.

Good thought, but I ended up making chocolate educational DVD's instead, and it satisfied the need.

• 4 months later...

I forgot to post this a couple of months ago. I received an email asking me to fill out an online survey. I don't remember the specifics (sorry!) - but they asked some questions on a specific group of shows. (Do you watch show XXX? Do you like host XXX?) I haven't heard anything since.

Anybody else get any surveys?

• 2 months later...

Another one today.

Questions were on:

Glutten for Punishment

Eat, Shrink & BE Merry

Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares

Questions:

Have I heard of them? Have I watched?

Then a brief description of the shows and it asks how likely I am to tune into them. When I select not too likely, it asks why.

The only one of the 3 I said I've watched is Ramsay. So it asked me how I like the new season. Then whether I'm familiar with the hosts of the other shows, and more specific questions about them (do I find them entertaining, do I like them, do I think they're credible).

The email from FoodTV also tells me that I'll be receiving newsletters soon. Apparently, it'll keep me in the loop on things before the rest of the public, including letting me know about casting calls and free giveaways.

The email from FoodTV also tells me that I'll be receiving newsletters soon.  Apparently, it'll keep me in the loop on things before the rest of the public, including letting me know about casting calls and free giveaways.

I got one today too, though I haven't looked at it yet, just the e-mail. It says we can win $100. Be still my heart. Now I can buy that guitar cutter I've always wanted.

I got it too...first time they've ever sent me one.

Finally, I get to express my loathing of Bob Blumer. Not that they will pay attention.

I was disappointed that there was no comments section so I could ask why they keep airing the same crap over and over and over again. Third retread of Jamie's School Dinners is NOT making me watch Food Network. Fourth round of Hell's Kitchen...and so on...Food Network is really sucking.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

hear hear to of the above respondents!!

finally they sent me a survey as above-no room for comments.

i tell you what i really miss: a brit show, half hour long, 3 contestants, several different challenges. they make their entree desert salad etc., and slide into the pass through window and judges decide which they think is the tastiest Top Chef? loved it.

Another good brit show was about interesting food traditions: example, at a christening the mother made a pate out of her placenta which the vegans were fine with eating! creepy maybe but definitely interesting.

god i even miss some guy named dean fearing? making butterscotch and southern style banana pudding.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

So I got another one today. This one asking my opinion on weddings. Wanted me to rate which was more important - the food, open bar, the brides dress etc.

One question that they asked, was after the bride, who's opinion is most important - the groom, the brides parents, the grooms parents, the maid of honour, the best man etc.

This is foodTV canada - and this is 2007 - you think they might have acknowledged that not every wedding in Canada involves a bride and a groom.

hear hear to of the above respondents!!

finally they sent me a survey as above-no room for comments.

i tell you what i really miss: a brit show, half hour long, 3 contestants, several different challenges. they make their entree desert salad etc., and slide into the pass through window and judges decide which they think is the tastiest Top Chef? loved it.

I think it was called "The Best" (maybe). I loved it. Miss it.

So I got another one today.  This one asking my opinion on weddings.  Wanted me to rate which was more important - the food, open bar, the brides dress etc. 

I just saw the email today asking me to fill out this survey. I'll do it soon. I want to keep answering them - see where it goes (hopes are not high, but I can be optimistic, non?)