• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FoodTV Canada Insider Program

Pam R

On one of those now-rare occasions when I found myself watching something on FoodTV, I caught a quick commercial telling me to sign up to be a FoodTV (Canada) Insider. Well, OK. Let's give it a shot.

Going to http://www.foodnetworkinsider.ca/, I filled out a form and apparently will be receiving surveys in the future concerning what's going on at FTV.

Question is - Do you think the powers that be will actually listen to anything I have to say? I hope they do. But here's the dilemma. I used to watch the network and loved it. I learned so much from Sara Moulton - I travelled along with Bourdain to places I doubt I'll get to go and I had fun watching a lot of the programs. Without picking on any specific shows or hosts here, let's just say there isn't much that catches my interest these days. But how many people like me will be signing up? Or will it be the people who watch the shows currently airing - because they're the ones who get to see the commercials.

Anybody else signing up? Do you think this will have any influence on the network? Please please give us some good shows.

You know, I don't know if FTV up here is even affiliated with FTV is the states or not. Somehow I doubt it or we wouldn't be producing our own shows.... I know it's Alliance Atlantis but I always though they were canucks? Regardless, they're producing shows for us that aren't appearing in the states, and US shows are showing up on FTV canada as filler.

I say we take control of the situation as a group as there is greater strength in numbers. I know FTV in the US said their demographic was 15 year old boys, but Christine Cushing is our darling of FTV for a reason and clearly cleavage or bubbleheadedness has nothing to do with it. The woman knows her stuff and that's why people watch. Could it possibly be that FTV Canada viewers are actually watching for the content!? :shock:

We've got a few of our own terrific shows.... everything CC does.... Cook like a chef, Opening Soon, Made to Order, Feenie.... and have any of you been watching Kitchen Equipped? That's good TV. Plus we used to have that terrific Great Canadian Food Show ( LOVED it and I have the book, thank you very much....)

Maybe FTV is just looking for suggestions about the sort of stuff we'd like to watch? I've got tons of ideas....how about you?? Shall we discuss them as a group then request them as a group as well?

Edited by Sugarella (log)

I signed up for it months ago (didn't see an ad on TV, just a link on their regular website). I haven't received any surveys or feedback requests. I _do_ receive a newsletter about once a month, with programming updates and recipes.

I wish I could join - apparently owning a community newspaper and menu directory disqualifies you. ;) I'd have plenty to say!!!

Edited by Csaville (log)

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

I hope the fact that they're airing commercials now means they will be doing more than just sending out newsletters.

Christine Cushing as the darling of FTVC - is she really? She's now limited to one 1/2 hour show. I'd say that Micheal Smith is more of a darling. He's our own RR (with a slightly different personality). Need a host for a new show? Call Michael!

How about a little diversity? If they're willing to produce shows in Canada (which they seem to be), why not tap into some of the different groups we have in the country?

Sugarella- I'd love for us to be able to suggest new ideas - but I'm thinking they don't receive them unsolicited. So now we have to see if they do send us some sort of questionnaires.

Well...I'd be very surprised if I saw another survey.

I think the "entry form" *was* the survey.

We've helped them with their programming decisions by saying "37% of our respondants said they were females between the ages of 40-45, divorced with three kids younger than 19; they have digital TV with PVRs, mobile phones, don't read the newspaper, but spend 7 hours a week on the computer; they live in neighbourhoods with a median income of $48,000/year and take the bus to work"--now they'll find advertisers who want these people as consumers/clients and pitch them.

I found it interesting what professions they won't allow in their fold--pretty much anyone who can see through their questions and know how to manipulate answers and results...

Just me being cynical

j

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

j.

blog: Confessions of a Cardamom Addict

I found it interesting what professions they won't allow in their fold--pretty much anyone who can see through their questions and know how to manipulate answers and results...

Just me being cynical

j

Too true - if they put a survey on here - I think they'd find an interesting difference. Isn't it awful when something starts out great but then ends up pandering to the lowest common denominator instead of striving for something better?

It's like food providers in my neck of the woods who insist that they can't have anything other than pork, chicken or salmon on their menu because people in this area won't eat anything else. Isn't it the responsibility of chefs to raise the bar? To try and achieve something new and wonderful? Thankfully, some do...

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

It's like food providers in my neck of the woods who insist that they can't have anything other than pork, chicken or salmon on their menu because people in this area won't eat anything else.  Isn't it the responsibility of chefs to raise the bar?  To try and achieve something new and wonderful?  Thankfully, some do...

Hmm. Well, I absolutely love lamb. I've put it on my menu repeatedly, at a cost roughly double that of beef or pork. Sales consistently run about 20% of what they do when I run beef, pork, chicken, etc (ie, the usual suspects). Please understand that's not 20% lower...that's 20%. Twenty orders instead of a hundred. I can't cover my costs on that basis, so now I only bring in lamb for catering functions and cooking classes.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I signed up and did the initial survey. But I remember how cowardly they were in removing the forum 3 years ago. Apparently one respondent claimed to be suicidal, so the moderator removed the forum altogether. I'm not expecting much.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update, I've received two surveys in the last 3 days. The first one was about their various advertising campaigns, and I think they want to determine whether their latest print & tv ads are doing what they intended.

The second survey, which I just finished, got more into my tv viewing habits, and asked me about the types of shows I expect from the channel (could even tell them less reality/competitions), and who are my favourite / least favourite hosts (tho I had to pick from a preselected list, with no option for "other").

All in all, I'd say we've got the opportunity to provide them with some good information. Hopefully they'll actually do something with it! :hmmm:

I wonder what Spiro's demographics are compared to others of us.  I also have not received any surveys.

Hmmm. I'm one of the ones who signed up months ago, before they were advertising. Anyone remember what information had to be provided when signing up? I'd be happy to provide some demographic info, if I knew what to provide.

• 2 months later...
Should I assume that I'll never hear from FTVC?  I'm annoyed.  I have so many good ideas that they should listen to.

I think the idea upstream that they just want our demographic data is bang on.

I made a demo tape for them a while back, I had this bright idea that they might think it was a good idea to have a chocolate show. The young lady who politely told me to forget it said that their 'demographics' were such that their prime audience wasn't interested in actually making things, just watching other people cook and being entertained by food. Seems consistant with the crap they are showing these days. I haven't found anything interesting but reruns to watch on their network yet this season.

I think we can safely assume that the only ones who will hear from them again are the young males.

I notice HGTV is running the same 'insider' ads these days.

It's been quite a while since I've heard from them. I guess the insider program got what they needed from me, so they're done!

On a positive note, I read that we're getting a new Nigella show ("Nigella Feasts", I think), and Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" (described in the article I read as "a comedy about eating on the road" :wacko: ). Those seemed to be the gems in the pile of crap. :smile: