• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Marsala vs. Dry - Can I use either?

Anna N

I would like to make this recipe but I have dry Marsala not sweet. Will it matter much? Can I compensate with some honey? A google search shows many savory recipes using Marsala and some use sweet and some dry. Thanks for any help.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I always use dry marsala for cooking anything other than a dessert. The exception was a Cook's Illustrated recipe where they INSISTED that the sweet variety worked better than the dry in a "Chicken Marsala" recipe. THEY WERE WRONG!

That recipe looks very good and wouldn't hesitate to use what you have.

I always use dry marsala for cooking anything other than a dessert.  The exception was a Cook's Illustrated recipe where they INSISTED that the sweet variety worked better than the dry in a "Chicken Marsala" recipe.  THEY WERE WRONG!

That recipe looks very good and wouldn't hesitate to use what you have.

Many thanks. My instinct told me to go ahead but with a resource like eGullet at my fingertips I knew I would soon have a response from a more experienced cook!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, thanks for bringing that recipe to our attention.  I copied and will be making that one!

The recipe was OK. I changed it a bit though. :raz: I don't like goat cheese so used cream cheese and I am not big on thickening with cornstarch so I reduced the sauce to a few tablespoons and added a glub-glub of heavy cream. The sauce was heavenly. I doubt that sweet Marsala is really appropriate in this recipe which already calls for really sweet black Mission figs. It will go into my repertoire of very repeatable recipes. On a muggy, thundery day with the temperature really up there, this was great with a side salad and a fresh dinner roll.

My 2004 eG Blog