• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamers in Northern NJ

The soft shell crab topic reminded me of a favorite, but I can't remember ever seeing these on a menu in Northern NJ. Anyone aware of where one can find steamers in Northern NJ?

I'm sure there are dozens of places down on the shore, but I am interested in Northern NJ, since I am in Bergen and would like to know of something fairly local. Thanks in advance.

The soft shell crab topic reminded me of a favorite, but I can't remember ever seeing these on a menu in Northern NJ.  Anyone aware of where one can find steamers in Northern NJ? 

I'm sure there are dozens of places down on the shore, but I am interested in Northern NJ, since I am in Bergen and would like to know of something fairly local.  Thanks in advance.

Not sure where to get them in NJ, but we are ordering them from http://www.seaviewlobster.com/ for the Fourth of July.

Legal Sea Foods. my thoughts, of course, here.

Say all you want about chain restaurants, but you can have a pretty damned good meal at Legal Sea Foods (aka, Legal Seafood, LS)....I’m told the little neck clams are quite good as well.  I don’t go for that stuff.  You should, though.

edited to correct typo in URL.

Edited by tommy (log)

Fulton Crab House in Cliffside Park has got a ton of shellfish and great steamers. Not cheap and pretty casual...but great seafood.

http://www.fultoncrabhouse.com/main.html

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Fulton Crab House in Cliffside Park has got a ton of shellfish and great steamers.  Not cheap and pretty casual...but great seafood. 

Looks like they use littlenecks, and not true "steamers" (ipswich).

menton1, are you looking for real steamers? (the softshells)

Photo here

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Wait a minute...am I wrong here...I could be...but when I do steamers, I use pissers...long necks...soaked first in a little cornmeal...delicious...Pissers, I thought were steamers.

Steamers in NJ mean littlenecks to the majority. The steamers in NE refer to pissers or long necks(soft shells). I am assuming that menton is refering to Littlenecks, but who knows.

I personally don't like longnecks. They have a muddier taste. Littlenecks are sweet and succulent and can be quaffed in dozens with cold beer.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Wait a minute...am I wrong here...I could be...but when I do steamers, I use pissers...long necks...soaked first in a little cornmeal...delicious...Pissers, I thought were steamers.

Ipswich clams are also known as steamers, softshell, piss clams and long necks. So yes, you've got it right!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Steamers in NJ mean littlenecks to the majority.  The steamers in NE refer to pissers or long necks(soft shells).  I am assuming that menton is refering to Littlenecks, but who knows. 

I personally don't like longnecks.  They have a muddier taste.  Littlenecks are sweet and succulent and can be quaffed in dozens with cold beer.

In my experience steamed little necks are usually called "steamed clams" in NJ, not "steamers". I usually ask the type (just in case) since what I love are the ipswich variety.

In Morris County, I would try the Black Horse Pub.

I agree with Tommy, Legal Seafood always has a nice selection, and I'd also recommend South City Grill, they have locations in Jersey City, Mountain Lakes and Roselle Park. I've only been to the first two, and can't vouch for their steamers, but their oyster selections are outstanding, and I'd assume their steamers are as well.

I agree with Tommy, Legal Seafood always has a nice selection, and I'd also recommend South City Grill, they have locations in Jersey City, Mountain Lakes and Roselle Park. I've only been to the first two, and can't vouch for their steamers, but their oyster selections are outstanding, and I'd assume their steamers are as well.

I don't know about South City Grill in "Roselle Park" (which is near Elizabeth) but I do know there is one on Route 17 in Rochelle Park. But I have been wrong b4.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

You're right, my bad!

There's a seafood place in Edgewater called Joe & Tess's, it's just up the street from La Vecchia Napoli, I've had good steamers there. (I can't find either on yp.yahoo, I know La Vecchia Napoli is still there, please correct me if I'm wrong about Joe & Tess's still being there.)

Fulton Crab House in Cliffside Park has got a ton of shellfish and great steamers.  Not cheap and pretty casual...but great seafood. 

A/ I've heard from several folks that this place is absolutely AWFUL. It's just really a Greek Diner with a little more seafood on the menu. And much too big a menu to be a good restaurant. Of course, that's their humble opinion.

B/ Yes, "Steamers" to most folks, I believe, means the ones with the tails hanging out and the shells slightly open. "Steamed Clams" is a totally different animal, that is NOT what I was looking for.

C/ Since Legal got some kudos here, speaking of chains, what is the word on McCormick and Schmicks? Do they have any steamers?

Crab House in Cliffside, on Anderson is very good - not a fancy place but very fresh fish & I have had good steamers there - w/ tail.

One of our favorites there is the crabcake & they also make a crababella - carbcake on portabella which is great.

Some people confuse it with Crab House in Edgewater which is a chain & is horrible - basically all just frozen & fried stuff.

Mcormick & Schmicks is pretty good also - been a few times, always happy

Crab House in Cliffside, on Anderson is very good - not a fancy place but very fresh fish & I have had good steamers there - w/ tail.

One of our favorites there is the crabcake & they also make a crababella - carbcake on portabella which is great.

Some people confuse it with Crab House in Edgewater which is a chain & is horrible - basically all just frozen & fried stuff.

Mcormick & Schmicks is pretty good also - been a few times, always happy

That's the place I mentioned. I guess ONE other person likes it. Hey dknyc1, did you try the lobster Moussaka when you were there? LMAO! I did, and I even got to throw my plate and glass in the fireplace while dancing on the table after the meal! :wink:

There's a seafood place in Edgewater called Joe & Tess's, it's just up the street from La Vecchia Napoli, I've had good steamers there. (I can't find either on yp.yahoo, I know La Vecchia Napoli is still there, please correct me if I'm wrong about Joe & Tess's still being there.)

sorry, joe and tess's has been closed for some time now. their key lime pie was great! iirc tess used to bring the limes back with her from florida.

Maybe the Sea Shack in Hackensack (right behind Route 17 Northbound) may have steamers? http://seashack.com/dinner.html#seafood

You may want to check there.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

sorry, joe and tess's has been closed for some time now. their key lime pie was great! iirc tess used to bring the limes back with her from florida.

Sad. :sad:

Maybe the Sea Shack in Hackensack (right behind Route 17 Northbound) may have steamers?  http://seashack.com/dinner.html#seafood

You may want to check there.

Sea Shack is a place embedded in the 70s, don't know how they stick around.

Does McCormick & Schmicks have steamers?

I have to agree with you there, however they have steamers I think! I personally don't like McCormick & Schmicks they were too stand-offish and preoccupied the time we went and their menu wasn't to my liking but they had only been open a month.

I can't resist. Here is a picture of steamers I had over Memorial Day weekend in Gloucester, MA. Yes, I know that's not in Jersey, but I was a Jersey girl eating them!

The reason they are sitting on the rim of the bowl is that they neglected to bring me clam broth, and while I waited for it, I continued to open them and line them up, waiting for their hot bath.

gallery_3179_3031_56752.jpg

I just thought I would share this picture for anyone who is craving steamers. Yes, I am a brat (but suffering right along with you!)

I want more!

I miss Joe and Tess' also. But Biggie's Clam Bar, in Hoboken, has steamers seasonally (fried the rest of the year).

How is Biggie's? It's one of those places I've been meaning to go to for years, and for whatever reason have never gotten to?

I can't resist.  Here is a picture of steamers I had over Memorial Day weekend in Gloucester, MA.  Yes, I know that's not in Jersey, but I was a Jersey girl eating them!

The reason they are sitting on the rim of the bowl is that they neglected to bring me clam broth, and while I waited for it, I continued to open them and line them up, waiting for their hot bath.

gallery_3179_3031_56752.jpg

I just thought I would share this picture for anyone who is craving steamers. Yes, I am a brat (but suffering right along with you!)

I want more!

You are a tease! I can smell them and taste them just by looking at them!

Being from Massachusetts and marrying into NJ, I had to go cold turkey on steamers and fried clams (and the Howard Johnson stuff is NOT fried clams) This was 40 years ago. One night we were our for dinner and I mentioned fried clams to the waitress (they were called waitresses, back then) She said she could have the chef fry some up with no problem. I was delighted! Until the dish came. They were simply shucked little necks that were breaded and fried. NOT THE SAME! Not my New England fried clams. At that time you couldn't even get them at the shore, but now you can --- so I can finally get my fix.