• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Libations for a pregnant guest

Zee

We are having some friends over for dinner this weekend and look forward to doing some interesting food and wine pairings. This group loves their wines. The menu includes a crab and salmon tortellini in a crab bisque and lamb ragout with spring vegetables. The problem is, one of our friends is (possibly) pregnant and abstaining from alcohol for now. We are supportive of her goal but hope to find some more interesting options for her. (In case someone suggests non-alcoholic wines, let me just say that she's poured some down the drain already). Ideas?

She won't pour Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir or Gewurtztraminer juices down the drain. Both much too tasty and a nice wine flavored non-alcoholic alternative for the teetotaling guest.

Le Mousseaux sparkling cider is also delicious and appropriate for toasts.

Either of these will have your guest happy and not feeling left out of the festivities.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

doctors keep on changing their minds as to whether alcohol in pregnancy is good/bad. here in the UK the latest is that about half a bottle a week is good.

my wife is 7 months pregnant and actually drinks very little since getting pregnant. prob averages a glass a week if that. she just doesn't feel like it. quite happy on still/sparkling water

She won't pour Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir or Gewurtztraminer juices down the drain.  Both much too tasty and a nice wine flavored non-alcoholic alternative for the teetotaling guest.

Le Mousseaux sparkling cider is also delicious and appropriate for toasts.

Either of these will have your guest happy and not feeling left out of the festivities.

i would strongly second the navarro juices. these are remarkabley good.

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

In Amuse Bouche (Rick Tramonto) there's a whole section dedicated to the most fantastic non-alcoholic drinks. For example:

Passion fruit juice with lemon balm,

honeydew melons with pink peppercorns,

celery-pear juice,

tangerine and sage,

apple and rosemary

Most are made with a juicer though, and.. pairing them with food might be hard. I hope you fnd them inspiring nonetheless!

Thanks for your post, Patricia Bun; those combinations do sound very interesting.

I've mentioned it in some other threads, but a nice non-alcoholic drink that is interesting and might also pair well with some different foods is elderberry flower syrup with club soda. It has a reallly haunting floral taste that could be somewhat reminiscent of a Gewurtztraminer or Riesling. (It's also great with champagne.) The producer I know of is D'Arbo and it's available at Whole Foods in CA anyway.

If you can find the Navarro non-alcoholic grape juices whereever you are, I also agree that they are very nice.

Another idea might be a nice limey non-alcoholic mojito-inspired drink--lime, some sugar syrup, mint, club soda. Or something similar with cucumber and lemon.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Let me also add to the list really good iced herbal tea. It doesn't have a tremendous amount of flash when presented, but made well it can be a great pleasure to drink.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have a couple of ideas brewing in my mind now. I can see taking our guest from the appetizers to the pasta course with a syrup and soda concoction and then a citrus and lemon balm blend. Perhaps a simple soda water with lime for the main course.

Katie and djsexyb: Unfortunately, Navarro is not available here in BC, Canada. I did find a Loxton Sparkling Brut, however. Could be interesting.

Patricia: Couple months back when many Vancouver restaurants were offering 3 or 4 course deals (Dineout Vancouver), I spotted one menu with a short but thoughtful selection of virgin cocktails, priced a step up from hot water with lemon. I remember them being similar to those described in Rick Tramonto's book. (The book's been sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for a while now).

ludja: I believe elderberry syrup is available at the IKEA here. I'll definitely give it a try.

Fat Guy: A nicely chilled herbal tea is a wonderful thing

I'll be turning my attention to picking the wines for the rest of the guests now.

ludja: I believe elderberry syrup is available at the IKEA here. I'll definitely give it a try.

Good luck planning the rest of your party, Zee!

I think they would both be good, but just to mention that the syrup I was recommending is elderberry flower syrup. It is made from elderberry blossoms rather than the berry and the resultant syrup is a light golden color.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I have it...

I had this drink at my friend Sergio's at Cafe Gourmand in Geneva

An outstanding and very unusual apero made with ginger and fruit juice. The spice from the ginger is surprising and you will almost think you are drinking a high-octane cocktail but in fact there is no alcohol in it at all.

"COCKTAIL DE JUS FRUITS AU GINGEMBRE FRAIS"

200 gr. fresh ginger

6 oranges

1 small pineapple

6 mangos

1 lemon

cane syrup to taste

Pass the fruits through a juicer, add syrup to taste and leave to rest in the fridge for 6 hours.

Serve cold in a champagne flute with a cub of ice.