• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rita's Ices

Kobi

A "Rita's Ices" opened in Mahwah this past month, right near the train station. Always a fan while in Philadelphia, it is a very welcome addition to the town. Judging by the lines when I have been there, they are doing very well, too.

- KOBIPR

A couple of years ago Rita's opened up in Teaneck on Teaneck Road, but closed mysteriously about 8 months later. Not sure if it is reopened there with a new Italian Ice incarnation...

A couple of years ago Rita's opened up in Teaneck on Teaneck Road, but closed mysteriously about 8 months later.  Not sure if it is reopened there with a new Italian Ice incarnation...

a Uncle Louie G's took over that location and then subsequently closed 6 months later. Its been sitting closed for at least a year.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I wish that Rita's hadn't bought out Jackie's in Belleville. Jackie's made their lemon ice by hand. Rita's is good, but not that good.

Their "gelati" makes everything better, though. It isn't stracciatella, but it's good for a hot day.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I wish that Rita's hadn't bought out Jackie's in Belleville.  Jackie's made their lemon ice by hand.  Rita's is good, but not that good. 

Their "gelati" makes everything better, though.  It isn't stracciatella, but it's good for a hot day.

I guess it's a Philly thing but Rita's is so not real water ice. There are really many much better places but Rita's is everywhere and inexpensive.

When you're ready for the real gelato go to Capogiro in Philly - 12th and Sanson and the Rittenhouse Park area. The flavor combinations will blow your mind. This is artisinal gelato made from scratch every day with mostly local ingredients by people who really care about quality product. Once you taste it you will be hooked forever.

It's expensive, $4.00 or so for a real small cup of this wonderful stuff. The best deal is to buy online by the pint (6 actually for $60.00)

Check out the site to see where you can buy it locally and check out these incredible flavors:

http://www.capogirogelato.com/main.html

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Good to know. I love Rita's. I go to the Little Falls location every once in a while, but I definitely will check out the Mahwah location too. Now they need to open one around Fair Lawn!

I heard a rumor that there is going to be a Rita's coming in Glen Rock on the corner of Harristown and Maple Avenue. I think there used to be a barber shop there that closed.

Let's cross our fingers!!

I guess it's a Philly thing but Rita's is so not real water ice. There are really many much better places but Rita's is everywhere and inexpensive.

When you're ready for the real gelato go to Capogiro in Philly - 12th and Sanson and the Rittenhouse Park area. The flavor combinations will blow your mind. This is artisinal gelato made from scratch every day with mostly local ingredients by people who really care about quality product. Once you taste it you will be hooked forever.

It's expensive, $4.00 or so for a real small cup of this wonderful stuff. The best deal is to buy online by the pint (6 actually for $60.00)

Check out the site to see where you can buy it locally and check out these incredible flavors:

I don't know about Capogiro, but the supposed originator of the product is Lemon Ice King in Corona, Queens. It's been there almost 100 years, and is listed in the tourist books as a Queens "landmark".

I don't know about Capogiro, but the supposed originator of the product is Lemon Ice King in Corona, Queens. It's been there almost 100 years, and is listed in the tourist books as a Queens "landmark".

This may well be true Menton but all I was saying is that Rita's doesn't come close to really authentic water ice ala Philadelphia or Queens/Manhatten. It's the McDonalds of water ice and I don't mean that as a compliment. The fact that so many of them are going up should give you a hint. If Rita's was the only water ice place for 10 miles or so, I'd go. That said we have 2 in our town, one of which is around the corner and I don't go. That doesn't stop the long lines this time of year however. To me, Rita's is like the restaurant in everyone's town that serves huge portions of inexpensive poorly cooked and executed food. You know the restaurant, it's always jamed on a Saturday night with people leaving with garbage bag sized doggy bags. Most people in this country(tho no one reading this for sure) love inexpensive unimaginative food that is delivered to the table in ridiculous portions.

Back to Capogiro, next time you are anywhere near Philly, you will thank me for visiting. Of this I am sure!

This may well be true Menton but all I was saying is that Rita's doesn't come close to really authentic water ice ala Philadelphia or Queens/Manhatten. It's the McDonalds of water ice and I don't mean that as a compliment. The fact that so many of them are going up should give you a hint. If Rita's was the only water ice place for 10 miles or so, I'd go. That said we have 2 in our town, one of which is around the corner and I don't go. That doesn't stop the long lines this time of year however. To me, Rita's is like the restaurant in everyone's town that serves huge portions of inexpensive poorly cooked and executed food. You know the restaurant, it's always jamed on a Saturday night with people leaving with garbage bag sized doggy bags. Most people in this country(tho no one reading this for sure) love inexpensive unimaginative food that is delivered to the table in ridiculous portions.

Back to Capogiro, next time you are anywhere near Philly, you will thank me for visiting. Of this I am sure!

A "regular" size Rita's Ice is 12 ounces. Do you consider that a ridiculous portion? Just curious.

To me, Rita's popping up all over the place can either be indicative of the "McDonald's" syndrome or... well ... Whole Foods are springing up around where I live.. would the same apply? Funny, my kids love underground music and as soon as a band is signed to a label, they're abandoned as sell-outs, traitors and people who are "only in it for the money." Same band, same music... but now they're crap cause they found a way to get their product to the masses and the masses enjoy it.

As far as gelato goes, the summer I lived in Urbino, Italy was the summer I had the best gelato's of my life. If I could ask the "Rita's" company one question, it would be "Why did you decide to call your Ice/Custard layered mix a gelati?" When I first had one, I thought it was a terrific tasting product (especially the cherries that I bit into in the ice), but calling a product that isn't a gelati, gelati makes about as much sense as calling a Burrito a Calzone. Its just not one.

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

To me Rita's is a place to go only if there is no other alternative. I agree with Jeff L that Rita's is hoping to become the McDonald's of water ice. Being busy is no sign of quality.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

A "regular" size Rita's Ice is 12 ounces. Do you consider that a ridiculous portion?  Just curious.

To me, Rita's popping up all over the place can either be indicative of the "McDonald's" syndrome or... well ... Whole Foods are springing up around where I live.. would the same apply? Funny, my kids love underground music and as soon as a band is signed to a label, they're abandoned as sell-outs, traitors and people who are "only in it for the money."  Same band, same music... but now they're crap cause they found a way to get their product to the masses and the masses enjoy it.

As far as gelato goes, the summer I lived in Urbino, Italy was the summer I had the best gelato's of my life.  If I could ask the "Rita's" company one question, it would be "Why did you decide to call your Ice/Custard layered mix a gelati?"  When I first had one, I thought it was a terrific tasting product (especially the cherries that I bit into in the ice), but calling a product that isn't a gelati, gelati makes about as much sense as calling a Burrito a Calzone.  Its just not one.

I didn't mean to imply that Rita's serving sizes had anythging to do with my poor restaurant example. I really wouldn't care if their regular serving size was 120 ounces, I still wouldn't like the product. That's my point here, inferior product no matter how much of it is still inferior product.

You are dead on about the gelato you had in Umbrio, though I've never been to that particular town in Italy. Italy, as in most of Western Europe, gets that for a product to be truly outstanding, it must be made from only the finest, freshest local ingredients and made daily. I don't know too much about Rita's but can almost guarantee you that this concept is not happening there. It's formulaic at best just like McDonalds.

As to wholefoods, not a great analogy to the topic. They are a fine quality driven food supplier with a truly insightful management team. They get it, Rita's simply has an aggressive franchise model driving sub par product.

I too am a huge fan of unground music but for me, I love it when these bands get signed to a label, it's survival. Might be that I'm 55 and your kids aren't! Tune in to the fact that your kids have a major cool quotient when they discover an underground, unsigned band. Once the band gets signed, no more cachet.

A "regular" size Rita's Ice is 12 ounces. Do you consider that a ridiculous portion?  Just curious.

To me, Rita's popping up all over the place can either be indicative of the "McDonald's" syndrome or... well ... Whole Foods are springing up around where I live.. would the same apply? Funny, my kids love underground music and as soon as a band is signed to a label, they're abandoned as sell-outs, traitors and people who are "only in it for the money."  Same band, same music... but now they're crap cause they found a way to get their product to the masses and the masses enjoy it.

As far as gelato goes, the summer I lived in Urbino, Italy was the summer I had the best gelato's of my life.  If I could ask the "Rita's" company one question, it would be "Why did you decide to call your Ice/Custard layered mix a gelati?"  When I first had one, I thought it was a terrific tasting product (especially the cherries that I bit into in the ice), but calling a product that isn't a gelati, gelati makes about as much sense as calling a Burrito a Calzone.  Its just not one.

I didn't mean to imply that Rita's serving sizes had anythging to do with my poor restaurant example. I really wouldn't care if their regular serving size was 120 ounces, I still wouldn't like the product. That's my point here, inferior product no matter how much of it is still inferior product.

You are dead on about the gelato you had in Umbrio, though I've never been to that particular town in Italy. Italy, as in most of Western Europe, gets that for a product to be truly outstanding, it must be made from only the finest, freshest local ingredients and made daily. I don't know too much about Rita's but can almost guarantee you that this concept is not happening there. It's formulaic at best just like McDonalds.

As to wholefoods, not a great analogy to the topic. They are a fine quality driven food supplier with a truly insightful management team. They get it, Rita's simply has an aggressive franchise model driving sub par product.

I too am a huge fan of unground music but for me, I love it when these bands get signed to a label, it's survival. Might be that I'm 55 and your kids aren't! Tune in to the fact that your kids have a major cool quotient when they discover an underground, unsigned band. Once the band gets signed, no more cachet.

In your Rita's eating experience, what flavor or aspect of the product line offended your tastebuds the most?

The town I mentioned was Urbino.. mountain town not far from the Adriatic. Rita's is NOT gelato so comparing actual gelato to what they've named gelati is pointless.

Saying that "It's the McDonalds of water ice and I don't mean that as a compliment. The fact that so many of them are going up should give you a hint, " and implying that because so many of them are springing up, the quality should be immediately suspect is nose-in-the-air logic. Because the masses like it, I won't.

How about referring to the product in specifics as to what it is you like or dislike in this case rather than deciding that "Rita's simply has an aggressive franchise model driving sub par product." Personally, I thought their custard was sweeter than I like it, mixed with their cherry ice and the real cherries throughout it, I found it refreshing and fun to eat. Sure I can get an Italian ice from that little bakery window in Lyndhurst (the name escapes me at the moment), but can't get it mixed with custard (Rita's 'gelati' style -again, they've GOT to change that name. Its SUCH a misnomer) but when I want that custard/ice blend, there aren't many places around that do both. There actually is one in Bergenfield (Its A Custard Thing) but I think Rita's consistency is better, IMHO.

" Once the band gets signed, no more cachet."... right and the shallowness and this reverse "fair weather fan" attitude makes digging on a band just because they're unsigned or whatever just as flaky as liking a band just because everyone else does. Then again, I'm continually pointing out to them as well that real indie kids/punks/whatevers aren't spending $80 at Hot Topic buying ripped up jeans. ;-)

In your Rita's eating experience, what flavor or aspect of the product line offended your tastebuds the most?

The town I mentioned was Urbino.. mountain town not far from the Adriatic. Rita's is NOT gelato so comparing actual gelato to what they've named gelati is pointless.

Saying that "It's the McDonalds of water ice and I don't mean that as a compliment. The fact that so many of them are going up should give you a hint, " and implying that because so many of them are springing up, the quality should be immediately suspect  is nose-in-the-air logic.  Because the masses like it, I won't.

How about referring to the product in specifics as to what it is you like or dislike in this case rather than deciding that "Rita's simply has an aggressive franchise model driving sub par product." Personally, I thought their custard was sweeter than I like it, mixed with their cherry ice and the real cherries throughout it, I found it refreshing and fun to eat. Sure I can get an Italian ice from that little bakery window in Lyndhurst (the name escapes me at the moment), but can't get it mixed with custard (Rita's 'gelati' style -again, they've GOT to change that name. Its SUCH a misnomer) but when I want that custard/ice blend, there aren't many places around that do both. There actually is one in Bergenfield (Its A Custard Thing) but I think Rita's consistency is better, IMHO.

" Once the band gets signed, no more cachet."... right and the shallowness and this reverse "fair weather fan" attitude makes digging on a band just because they're unsigned or whatever just as flaky as liking a band just because everyone else does. Then again, I'm continually pointing out to them as well that real indie kids/punks/whatevers aren't spending $80 at Hot Topic buying ripped up jeans. ;-)

Truth be told, there is not one specific thing that I find offensive, it's more a quality driven issue that I find not present at the Rita's I have experienced. For example, the lemon ice, which is my favorite, was short on tartness and the flecks and little bits of real lemon found in other south philly places. It was ok, not terrible. Like Aaron posted, if this is the only place serving water ice, go there. In my case thankfully it isn't.

As to the gelato/gelati issue, Rita's does not make authentic gelato. They make custard mixed with water ice and call it gelati for some reason.

For me, quality of ingredients and execution reign over price and portion. This is just my opinion, others will have theirs evidenced by the really long lines at Rita's in Newtown, PA. Really, I would rather drive to Philly (35-40 min South) and get the real deal than stand on line and get what is available.

I must ask, do you like McDonalds? I don't and the masses clearly do... does that make me a food snob, probably. Is that something I'm ok with, you bet.

Now to your music issue. I have 2 daughters who are now 19 and 21 so I come from some parental experience in these matters and music is huge in my life. You may be right with the fair weather fan comment but it is what it is. There's no denying that finding that great restaurant none of your friends know about is kind of cool, same goes with those bands the kids seek out. Doesn't make it right, just is.

"Whole Foods are springing up around where I live"

where are Whole Foods springing up. There is one new one opening up in West Orange and another supposed to come to Paramus that has not even been approved by the Paramus town planning board. So how can one say Whole Foods is springing up.

Saying that "It's the McDonalds of water ice and I don't mean that as a compliment. The fact that so many of them are going up should give you a hint, " and implying that because so many of them are springing up, the quality should be immediately suspect is nose-in-the-air logic. Because the masses like it, I won't.

That's the Lyndhurst Bakery for the best ice in this area. Love the vanilla ice!

First, I agreed with Jeff as to what I read about Rita's being the "McDonalds" of water ice. Then I thought to myself, what the heck is water ice, isn't it Italian ice? :hmmm: Deciding for my own piece of mind that it is in fact Italian ice, I checked out Jeff's link, only to realize that Capogiro is in fact not Italian ice at all, but in fact gelato and Sorbet. :blink:

Upon further investigation, I confirmed my suspicions that Rita's form of gelati is not really gelato at all, but rather a mix of their Italian Ice and frozen custard. Trying to compare these two establishments would be like trying to compare your favorite pizza parlor to Dominos. :raz:

That being said, I agree with what Jeff is trying to convey. There is no particular flavor ingredient or aspect of Rita's that you can put your finger on to elaborate on why it isn't as good. Just as you can get a better cup of coffee outside of a Starbucks, you can get better Italian ice at a multitude of locations other than Rita's--far better. The lemon tastes like eating a frozen lemon, complete with zest. The watermelon tastes like watermelon, the mango tastes like mango, and the snozzberry tastes exactly like snozzberry! :smile: I find Rita's to be to artificially sugary and chemically, and not like an authentic flavored frozen iced fruit.

I guess when it comes down to I just think that high end Italian ice has more of an authentic flavor to it, and Rita comes up short. Like many successful franchises, Rita's uses successful marketing to drive a familiar tasting mass produced goods to a population that feels comfortable with name brand recognition and is satisfactoraly refreshed by a more or less average product.

Does Rita's make a tasty product? Sure! It's just not as good as some of the finer local places that you'll find.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I've seen Rita's Ices a bit south of the Dover air force base a few years back and I've seen it in a few other places over the last 5+ years... so it is a chain like McD's growing in popularity. I know Pompilio's in Westwood serves pretty good italian ices but I am not one to go by on the taste of ices. My hair salon down the street gets their choc chip ices & loves it. I love typical cherry ices. :wub:

A true plus there are SEVERAL Whole Foods Supermarkets where we will be moving to... I saw at least 2 but there could be more. YAY!!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

That's the Lyndhurst Bakery for the best ice in this area. Love the vanilla ice!

I like doing a scoop of the vanilla with a scoop of cherry.

:-)

"Whole Foods are springing up around where I live"

where are Whole Foods springing up.  There is one new one opening up in West Orange and another supposed to come to Paramus that has not even been approved by the Paramus town planning board.  So how can one say Whole Foods is springing up.

From where I live, I have the choice of Whole Foods in Edgewater, Ridgewood, and the three in NYC, and I've heard about the supposed one planned at the Bergen Mall as well. That makes 5 within a 20-25 minute drive.

To address your last post, Jeff:

Truth be told, there is not one specific thing that I find offensive, it's more a quality driven issue that I find not present at the Rita's I have experienced. For example, the lemon ice, which is my favorite, was short on tartness and the flecks and little bits of real lemon found in other south philly places. It was ok, not terrible. Like Aaron posted, if this is the only place serving water ice, go there. In my case thankfully it isn't.

As to the gelato/gelati issue, Rita's does not make authentic gelato. They make custard mixed with water ice and call it gelati for some reason.

Yeah, I scratch my head over that one too. Its like calling a shoe a glove. Its just not.

For me, quality of ingredients and execution reign over price and portion. This is just my opinion, others will have theirs evidenced by the really long lines at Rita's in Newtown, PA. Really, I would rather drive to Philly (35-40 min South) and get the real deal than stand on line and get what is available.

Considering that water ice is fruit, syrup and water, other than the proportions and method of shaving/slushing the ice, what is boosting the quality for you? Are these places you mention boiling down their fruits and making their own syrups? If not, are they using some superior bottled syrup or bottled spring water? I know I've had chunks of fruit in Rita's (peach in the peach, cherry in the cherry, and lemon rind in the lemon). Btw, have you checked out their site? Rita's Italian Ice

I must ask, do you like McDonalds? I don't and the masses clearly do... does that make me a food snob, probably. Is that something I'm ok with, you bet.

Haven't been to McDonald's in years. Love a good hamburger and when McDonald's was first starting out, I bet they had a good hamburger. Now, "billions and billions" into it, they just don't seem to give a snit.

Now to your music issue. I have 2 daughters who are now 19 and 21 so I come from some parental experience in these matters and music is huge in my life. You may be right with the fair weather fan comment but it is what it is. There's no denying that finding that great restaurant none of your friends know about is kind of cool, same goes with those bands the kids seek out. Doesn't make it right, just is.

Mine are 17 & 23. I think the diff is that when I find a great restaurant, I WANT it to succeed and not become a distant pleasant memory (a la venue) and usually the only way a place can do that is by filling seats, growing and flourishing.