• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cape May, NJ

Deldino

No doubt Louisa's is not hurting for business. :laugh:

http://ae.philly.com/entertainment/ui/phil...&reviewId=10926

Couldn't LeBan have stuck the write up of Louisa's in the middle of the damn page. Now it will be all but impossible to get in.

Also, someone should tell him Waters Edge has been closed for a good while, although he is dead on about Neil.

"Such globe-hopping flavors aren't uncommon down the Shore. And many credit Waters Edge chef/owner Neil Elsohn as one of the style's principal innovators in Cape May since he arrived 16 years ago. The restaurant still has one of the Shore's finest kitchens, whether you choose the blackened scallops slicked with ginger glaze, the sublimely tender veal with spaetzle bathed in brown butter, the Asian-scented black bass, or the dessert tortilla with bananas.

The sleek, peach-colored dining room has a contemporary polish that fits the Sting soundtrack looping through the room. But it is the wide-windowed view that I covet most, a vision of Cape May's tranquil northern beach at sunset, the dune grass and lapping waves fading in summer's long golden light. "•

The restaurant where the Water's Edge used to be is called the Pier House. Not bad. A little expensive (so what else is new about Cape May?). Don't think any more pr could make Louisa's any more difficult to get into. Just start speed-dialing at 4 on Tuesday for that week, or just show up and take your chances as to when (or if) to come back later that night.

Mark A. Bauman

The restaurant where the Water's Edge used to be is called the Pier House. Not bad. A little expensive (so what else is new about Cape May?). Don't think any more pr could make Louisa's any more difficult to get into. Just start speed-dialing at 4 on Tuesday for that week, or just show up and take your chances as to when (or if) to come back later that night.

I really do love Louisa's. I think a weekend trip to CM is in order soon. All I gotta do is hit the redial button on my cell!

• 11 months later...
no signs of life at Copper Fish yet...most other restaurants are already open or opening this weekend. 

does anyone know if they've closed?  :sad:

Just got back from Cape May tonight. Copperfish looked closed when I passed it today. My friend that is proprietor of Martini Beach said she heard it's supposed to open but has seen no signs of that as of yet, nor heard anything about a definitive opening date.

Methinks it's bitten the dust.

I had a nice lunch at Lobster House. Cape May Salts and Littlenecks on the half shell, Snapper soup and lobster salad. Basic stuff that was exactly as I wished it to be.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

thanks Katie. i think you're right. i'm bummed...i liked it. well, the good news is that Sea Salt up in stone harbor, which looked like it had shut down, is still around and will be opening this weekend.

btw, anything new and exciting going on at martini beach? is the menu still oriented toward tapas/small plates?

btw, anything new and exciting going on at martini beach? is the menu still oriented toward tapas/small plates?

The menu I saw this weekend looked like it had a few smaller items on it, but was for all intents a regular menu. I had the charred asparagus and beet salad and the mussels on Saturday evening and they were both delicious. The mussels were a bowl full with a tomatoey broth and a bit of feta cheese crumbled over the top. I wished I'd had more bread to dunk in the sauce. Sunday night we started with the Asian Crab soup that had a lot of lump crab meat in it and a big tangle of cellophane noodles. I had the pork chop and a taste of my friend's lamb chops. Both also very tasty.

The menu will be growing larger when the real season starts. Certainly worth you checking it out one night. Martini Beach has been remodelled inside to be less "clubby" and more oriented to fine dining. The menu is a reflection of that, I think.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Friday we will surely be at Cabana's for happy hour and snacks (our ritual start to the weekend) They have a really good panko crusted chicken tenders with 3 sauces. Perfect light meal with some crappy fries.

Head upstairs to Martini Beach for better drinks and food. Much as I like Cabana's, there's no contest which menu is better.

Unless the crappy fries are the thing that keeps you going back... :rolleyes:

Hey I just noticed that I wrote CRAPPY fries and what I meant was CRABBY fries.

Anyhow we are heading back down to Cape May the weekend of June 1st, any updates on the restaurant scene. Have you tried Moonfish Grill?

Oh and is Martini Beach casual or dressy?

Thanks for any updates.

It goes either way. I've seen folks in flip flops and tank tops as well as some other folks pretty decked out. Casual but neat would probably get you in the door almost anywhere. It is the beach, after all.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It goes either way. I've seen folks in flip flops and tank tops as well as some other folks pretty decked out. Casual but neat would probably get you in the door almost anywhere. It is the beach, after all.

Thanks Katie!

dang, katie - missed you this year!!

we were down the shore from 6-15 may. ate mostly at our condo which is an oceanfront . had thought to go into cape may but have been monitoring martini beach on the ardore website and noticed the emphasis has shifted quite away from small plates to larger ones. maybe next year we'll hit up the bar and just order small stuff which seems to suit both john and i better.

we did stumble into a place in the crest that is more of a year round/local hangout this year after our owners meeting. it's called the Bayview Inn. one of the guys mentioned to johnnybird that this place had $2 drafts of things like Farmhouse Fish, Newcastle, Guiness and a few others I can't remember since i tend not to be a beer girl. we went sunday after the meeting and had the sunday special - 14.99 for a salad, appetizer and main. john got steamed shrimp(about 15) and a pound of snow crab legs; i got the bruscetta(5 pieces) and the steak(8 oz ny strip cooked a bit over medium) and cake(crab that is). draft newcastle for john. total was 33.99 plus some of the best service we have had from carol. i took home both baked potatoes and my crab cake. the potatoes became eggypotatoes for john's breakfasts and the crab cake became his lunch the two days later. next time we go back on a sunday we may just order off the appetizer/raw bar menus since until 6 pm it is half price.

next day after major birding - and getting going at the crack of 1400 - i didn't feel like cooking so.... back to Bayview. we sat at the bar this time and freaked the bartender out by ordering 1 Newcastle, 1 Farmhouse Fish and 1 empty glass. tasted each seperately then did the black and tan treatment on them in the empty glass. john had the crabcake sandwich as well as another order of the bruschetta and i had the buffalo chicken sandwich. ended taking half of this home and had it for breakfast. really would be cool if they offered this as a wrap...and suggested it to the bartender.

Bayview Inn

8100 Bayview Dr

Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260

(609) 522-1287

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzi:

Dang! We've crossed like ships in the night again!

Thanks for the info on the Bayview Inn. Sounds like a winner. I'll definitely check that out later this summer.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

So we are heading off this weekend to Cape May for our anniversary.

We decided to try Moonfish Grill since there is music there on Fridays. Then I am leaving Saturday open and we may try Martini Beach per Katie's suggestion.

Any last minute suggestions? And has anyone been to the C-View Inn - someone just told me they have the best chicken wings, and my husband likes them with a nice beer for a snack!

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone.

And has anyone been to the C-View Inn - someone just told me they have the best chicken wings, and my husband likes them with a nice beer for a snack! 

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone.

(This is my 3rd attempt at posting)

I love this place as it is so un Cape May but pretty decent bar food. And yes, the wings really are quite good even though I am not a big fanof wings in general. I love it for the local scene, as that is mostly who hangs out there along with after hours resto workers. Prices are cheap and there is no "C" view or any other water view other than what spills on the floor :raz: Also family friendly

Edited by Jeff L (log)

I stopped by the C-View several weeks ago when I was down in Cape May because it was the last night before it changed hands. At least that's what I'd been told. Seems there's new ownership. :unsure:

Copper Fish is most definitely CLOSED. It was dark on both Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend when I was there last.

There was a seemingly new place almost directly across from Lobster House that is a restaurant and Pizza place that I'd not noticed before. Lucky Bones Backwater Grille and Pizza. Parking lot was packed whenever I passed it last weekend. It's owned by one of the Craig brothers from the Washington Inn. Apparently it opened in April 2006, but I'd seriously never noticed it before this past weekend. It's right at the foot of the bridge as you come onto the island. If anyone has info I'd be curious what it's about.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I stopped by the C-View several weeks ago when I was down in Cape May because it was the last night before it changed hands.  At least that's what I'd been told. Seems there's new ownership.  :unsure:

That's not good. Usually means everything changes. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner there a few times and he seemed like he knew what he was doing. He had a few old school waitresses and really good barkeeps on staff. I could be wrong but I got the feeling he just came in to collect the $$$

I stopped by the C-View several weeks ago when I was down in Cape May because it was the last night before it changed hands.  At least that's what I'd been told. Seems there's new ownership.   :unsure:

Copper Fish is most definitely CLOSED.  It was dark on both Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend when I was there last.

There was a seemingly new place almost directly across from Lobster House that is a restaurant and Pizza place that I'd not noticed before.  Lucky Bones Backwater Grille and Pizza.  Parking lot was packed whenever I passed it last weekend.  It's owned by one of the Craig brothers from the Washington Inn.  Apparently it opened in April 2006, but I'd seriously never noticed it before this past weekend.  It's right at the foot of the bridge as you come onto the island.  If anyone has info I'd be curious what it's about.

We just got back from Cape May and we did get a chance to check out Lucky Bones - I have to say it was quite good, we both had large salads, I had the house and hubbie had the Ceaser - then he had the ribs and I had a pizza margarita. Everything was really good and very fresh the salads were huge and not a bad leaf in the bunch. The pizza was thin crust and cooked perfect no soggy crust, though the sauce tasty very cheesy (romano I think) but I was ok with that. With a couple of drinks each it was honestly the best price for the food we had all weekend. We also tried the Moonfish Grille which was also very good, we went on Friday so there was a guitar player so that made it even more enjoyable. I had the fire roasted chicken over parm risotta and my husband had some sushi with seaweed salad and then the halibut. He enjoyed it all. The seawood salad was really outstanding and so cold it was refreshing.

We went to Mad Batter for dinner and I have to say although the dinner was ok, not so great for the price they charge. As for lunch we did burgers at Ugly Mug and margarita shrimp and salad at Capanas. Had a great time all and all.

Oh and we hit the Boiler Room for some Blues with Frank Bey - had a rocking time.

Edited by Deldino (log)

Lucky Bones has great pizza and huge martinis.  But it is NOISY and crowded - best to forget about it until autumn.

I think we were slightly ahead of the crowd time-wise, so it worked out well for us.

It was getting more crowded as we were leaving.

at first i was lukewarm about Lucky Bones, but now i really like it -- for what it is, that is, which is basically better-than-average pub grub. and others must feel the same, since the place is always crowded, even in the dead of winter. it definitely fills a niche on the cape island dining scene.

at first i was lukewarm about Lucky Bones, but now i really like it -- for what it is, that is, which is basically better-than-average pub grub.  and others must feel the same, since the place is always crowded, even in the dead of winter.  it definitely  fills a niche on the cape island dining scene.

That is a great way to desribe it - "better than average pub grub" and exactly what we for looking for that day. A few days in Cape May and even the hamburger places add up to over 40$ for lunch (which includes a drink or two) - I ALWAYS forget and underbudget lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to Cape May late next week. We haven't been there since Sept. '05., although we go almost once a year for many years. We are going to the Black Duck one night. Where else would you go?

We don't like 410 Bank. Found the Ebbitt Room a little too precious. Lobster House-no, no, no. We like the Washington Inn, although last time they rushed us through our meal in world record time. Is there anything new there?