• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks Published in 2006

ludja

Has anyone mentioned Dorie Greenspan's excellent new book, Baking: from my home to yours?

It's set for release in November and it's fantastic. I have an advance copy and have been baking all sorts of fabulous things from it for weeks including some wicked carrot muffins this morning for breakfast (only one recipe so far -- funnily enough, the blueberry muffins -- disappoints).

Baking: from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan

I just bought it today at Costco.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I just found out today on e-cook books site that "baking from my home to yours" is available now and was published on august!!. Also other books like caramel and king arthur flour whole grain baking will be released this month, earlier that AMAZON??

Any one got a clue? Is it true?

Has anyone mentioned Dorie Greenspan's excellent new book, Baking: from my home to yours?

It's set for release in November and it's fantastic. I have an advance copy and have been baking all sorts of fabulous things from it for weeks including some wicked carrot muffins this morning for breakfast (only one recipe so far -- funnily enough, the blueberry muffins -- disappoints).

Baking: from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan

I just bought it today at Costco.

Here is a discussion thread on "Baking From my Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

click

Amazon says it's out October 1.  Has anybody seen it?  The reviews on the site make it sound pretty promising.  I'm residcovering "A New Way to Cook" and loving it, since I found an online class centered around it on 'Barnes and Noble University'.  It was a great opportunity to be led by the hand into Sally's way of cooking and thinking, and if it's offered again, I'll take it again.

But back to the new book.  It sounds like she gives some base recipes and then uses and variations.  It's just where I've been wanting to go!

If you've heard anything about it, I'd love to hear your comments.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Sorry for the not very clear post directly above. The link is for a discussion of Sally Schneider's new book, "The Improvisational Cook".

I've only looked through this book quickly so far but there seemed to be some interesting recipes. I've not been to the eponymous restaurant yet either that has been in Oakland since 1999.

"Dona Tomas: Discovering Authentic Mexican Cooking" by chef-owners Thomas Schnetz and Dona Savitsky Amazon link

Here is an enthuiastic LA Times review that terms the food California-Mexican: click

While the article is available you can also access some sample recipes given in the article for:

Queso de chiva fundido con pipián verde (Broiled goat cheese with pumpkin seed sauce)

Budín de elote (Corn pudding with zucchini)

Atún del diablo (Seared albacore tuna with pumpkin seed-sesame sauce and pickled red onions)

Schnetz says he California-ized his food partly by developing side dishes that would not be served in Mexico, which makes it supremely easy to put a full meal together from his book. Everything seems not just to fit but to almost fall into a menu. That amazing corn pudding goes with the tuna, which goes with the richly flavored achiote rice; the queso fundido can start a dinner party, and a sweet and crusty zucchini cake dusted with canela, Mexican cinnamon, can finish it.

BUT then the book is crammed with enticing ideas: salt cod and potato tamales; pozole with crab, or with duck; a salad of wilted cabbage, toasted pecans, chicharrones and cilantro with baked goat cheese; pumpkin seed brittle; salmon tacos with mango salsa; roasted chiles rellenos filled with potato or zucchini and crab.

Some other recipes from the book:

Pumpkin seeds toasted in a skillet with whole cloves of garlic and chile de árbol.

Cucumber daiquiri and a lime colada

Melon salad seasoned with chile powder and fresh mint and drizzled with crema

Sopa Tortilla

Crab, Chile, and Lime Taquitos with Avocado Salsa

Long-Cooked Green Beans with Chorizo

Halibut Cheeks Veracruzano

Slow-Roasted Lamb in Banana Leaves with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce

Crème Fraîche Cake with Blackberries, Cinnamon, and Pecans

Sweet Tamale with Fresh Corn and Pineapple

Has anyone checked this out in more detail yet?

Edited by ludja (log)

Last year we had a good thread going with peoples comments and notifications of new cookbooks to look out for.  Cookbooks published in 2005

I thought it would be a good idea to start the thread earlier this year to catch more of the new cookbooks published in the first half of the year.

A cookbook coming out in June that I'll check out is Emily Luchetti's new dessert cookbook,  "Passion for Ice Cream".   ($ for egullet if you order through this egullet-Amazon link)

Passion for Ice Cream (Hardcover)

by Emily Luchetti, Sheri Giblin

“There's chocolate, strawberry, and butter pecan; there's orange-cardamom, root beer granita, and pomegranate sorbet. There's popsicles, floats, and parfaits. And then there's Coffee Meringues with Coconut Ice Cream; Blackberry Sorbet Filled Peaches; and Chocolate Crepes with Peppermint Ice Cream. But wait...There's Shortcake and Rum Raisin Ice Cream Sandwiches; Sauternes Ice Cream and Apricot Sherbet Cake; and Chocolate Cupcakes Stuffed with Pistachio Ice Cream.”

Any cookbooks from this year that you've already bought or ones that you are looking forward to checking out?

edited to add: Here's a link with instructions on how to construct an eGullet-Amazon link. . Click

I...er...how may I put this delicately, am not allowed to mention a book that came out in 2006 by a person who is near and dear to me, the person with whom I have been most intimate in my life. Hint - look down. :)

I'll mention it. :biggrin: Chef on Fire: The Five Techniques of Using Heat Like a Pro by Joseph Carey looks interesting! Might be a good one for me too since I have a bad habit of starting everything with my heat too low. Will this help me overcome my fear of cranking the heat up? Heat can be your friend, right? Baking I can do. Things on top of the stove, I'm a little more shy with.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I'll mention it. :biggrin: Chef on Fire: The Five Techniques of Using Heat Like a Pro by Joseph Carey looks interesting! Might be a good one for me too since I have a bad habit of starting everything with my heat too low. Will this help me overcome my fear of cranking the heat up? Heat can be your friend, right? Baking I can do. Things on top of the stove, I'm a little more shy with.

Thanks for the mention. :) Yes, I was asked by a reporter last week what the hardest thing to teach home cooks is (I teach both professional and more casual evening classes) and I told her learning to both love high heat and not be afraid of it.

The flavor of the caramelization obtained with high heat cannot be duplicated. It's one of the main differences between quality restaurant cookery and home cooking.

Two more:

The Sweet Life: Desserts from Chanterelle by Kate Zuckerman

Publisher's Weekly's review has me intrigued:

Starred Review. Zuckerman, pastry chef at New York's famed Chanterelle restaurant, combines aesthetics and science in this appetizing look at the hows and whys of baking. Providing detailed instruction throughout, she guides the cook through the process of creating the dessert while explaining the chemical reactions taking place when ingredients interact. Zuckerman details the intricacies of tart making, offering a variety of standard recipes such as hazelnut, sweet and flaky. Her selections of cakes are enticing, with her Goat Cheesecake Enrobed in Hazelnut Brittle bordering on the sublime. Throughout, she elucidates the basics—e.g., why some cookie recipes require additional baking soda and how an acid aids in the foaming of egg whites. Zuckerman also offers a wealth of cookie recipes and a mouth-watering array of custards, puddings, crèmes and mousses. Soufflé-making techniques are explained so simply that even the baking novice will feel empowered to make an attempt. Zuckerman also devotes sections to ice creams and frozen desserts, roasted fruits and edible garnishes. Highly recommended for all skill levels, this collection is a must-have for anyone who cooks. 70 photos. (Sept.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa by Marcus Samuelsson

From Booklist

Samuelsson established his reputation as one of the foremost exponents of contemporary Swedish cookery through Aquavit, his celebrated New York City restaurant. Now he travels to wholly new territory by returning to the land of his birth and the glorious traditions of African cooking. From his native Ethiopia he prepares injera, the country's staple fermented flatbread. Moroccan cooking, one of Africa's most sophisticated, contributes harissa, a fiery spice paste that warms many North African dishes. Cassava stuffs shrimp for a satisfying West African meal. Samuelsson substitutes beef for lamb in South Africa's renowned bobotie but takes care to preserve the dish's curry-influenced spicing. Jerk chicken, more generally associated with Jamaica, shows how African eating traditions have spread abroad. He does not flinch at using contemporary ingredients such as arugula and Yukon Gold potatoes to make his recipes attractive. The immensity and diversity of Africa make it difficult to comprehend a continent's varied cooking styles in a single book, but Samuelsson's achievement celebrates a little-known cuisine. Mark Knoblauch

Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

• 2 weeks later...

The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa by Marcus Samuelsson

Do you have this book? I'm always wary of cookbooks that cover such large topics, but I have been wanting to learn more about African food, especially Ethiopian cuisine. Has anybody else cooked from this one?

I recently purchased a book I had never seen before on the store shelves or on Amazon, Michel Richard's Happy in the Kitchen. It is awesome! On par with Keller's FL Cookbook, Bouchon Cookbook, any of the Trotter books, all of them. Really nice stuff, playfull, and while some challenging things are mentioned, most of it could be duplicated by an advanced home cook or a professional. Love the photography!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I recently purchased a book I had never seen before on the store shelves or on Amazon, Michel Richard's Happy in the Kitchen.  It is awesome!  On par with Keller's FL Cookbook, Bouchon Cookbook, any of the Trotter books, all of them.  Really nice stuff, playfull, and while some challenging things are mentioned, most of it could be duplicated by an advanced home cook or a professional.  Love the photography!

I saw a brief mention of this book in the October 2006 issue of Food&Wine and was intrigued but I think I need to hold it in my hands and give it a good inspection before I buy. Like I need another cookbook. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I recently purchased a book I had never seen before on the store shelves or on Amazon, Michel Richard's Happy in the Kitchen.  It is awesome!  On par with Keller's FL Cookbook, Bouchon Cookbook, any of the Trotter books, all of them.  Really nice stuff, playfull, and while some challenging things are mentioned, most of it could be duplicated by an advanced home cook or a professional.  Love the photography!

I just heard the same thing about this book

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Not long out over here in the UK is "Essence: Recipes from Le Champignon Sauvage"

It's quite a book and the first from David Everitt-Matthias who currently holds 2 Michelin stars.

Sounds interesting, thanks for mentioning this. Michel Richard's Happy in the Kitchen sounds like another one that I'll check out as well.

Here's a discussion thread on dining at Le Champignon Sauvage if you want to learn more about the type of food served there.

And for something completely different foodwise... :smile:

If you check out the current Daily Gullet, you can read an excerpt from White Trash Gatherings: From scratch Cooking for Down Home Entertaining by Kendra Baily Morris (eGullet's own, kendrabail.)

The book contains recipes and reminiscences of Appalachian Mountain food. Included in the excerpt are two recipes:

K.G.’s Country Grit Bread

Jeb Magruder’s Chow Chow

Edited by ludja (log)

Not long out over here in the UK is "Essence: Recipes from Le Champignon Sauvage"

It's quite a book and the first from David Everitt-Matthias who currently holds 2 Michelin stars.

Have you or any others in the UK had a chance to check out these other new cookbooks from UK chefs?

Tom Aikens Cooking by Tom Aikens

Nobu West by Nobu Matsuhisa, Mark Edwards, Eiichi Takahashi

Made in Italy: Food and Stories by Giorgio Locatelli

I also heard that Heston Blumenthal is coming out with a new book later in the year.

Edited by ludja (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a discussion thread on Locatelii's, Made in Italy book: click

The Kitchen Table: Brennan's of Houston (Oct., $29.95) by Randy Evans, the restaurant's executive chef, is divided into seven chapters reflecting the seven courses served at Brennan's of Houston.

This one's great. The recipe for Tasso ham, although labor-intensive, is worth getting this for alone.

There are excerpts and a discussion on Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen here in The Daily Gullet. Andrea Nguyen is an eGullet member under her own name.

Andrea Nguyen is a food writer and culinary instructor based in Santa Cruz, California and founder of the website www.vietworldkitchen.com devoted to the food and culture of Vietnam. Her writing has appeared in Saveur, the Los Angeles Times, and the San Jose Mercury News. Into the Vietnamese Kitchen is her first book.

She includes some recipes in the excerpt as well:

Caramel Sauce

Nước Màu/Nuoc Mau

Pork Riblets Simmered in Caramel Sauce

Sườn Kho/Suon Kho

Beef Stewed with Tomato, Star Anise, and Lemongrass

Bò Kho/Bo Kho

Salmon with Tomato, Dill, and Garlic Soup

Canh Rieu Cá/Canh Rieu Ca

I excited to check this out as many of my Vietnamse books were written before the easier availability of some ingredients.

• 1 month later...

Here's a thread asking for people's opinion's on the most essential food-related book of 2006: click

Many of the responses include non-cookbook but food-related books like Omnivore's Dilemma.

Any other good 2006 cookbook releases that people want to share?