• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hummus: Additives, Techniques, Recipes

I had a wonderful hummus at a friend's house recently.. he told me he had used peanutbutter instead of tahini. It was delicious, much more subtle than with the sesame flavor, smooth-textured and and luscious. When I made it, I used peanutbutter, and a mixture of walnutoil and oliveoil.

I also made a version with cashewnutbutter which was lovely!

I like to go easy on the garlic. Too much raw garlic spoils the smooth flavor of the hummus I think.

I like to go easy on the garlic. Too much raw garlic spoils the smooth flavor of the hummus I think.

I agree with the 'easy on the garlic' advice. I find that a few hours after the hummus has been made, the garlic seems to get stronger and can become very strident and overpowering. But the lemon juice... I like plenty of it, it seems to temper the chick peas nicely. I don't use olive oil in the actual hummus mixture, just drizzle it on top at the end and sprinkle over some paprika and chopped parsley.

As mentioned upthread, how you make your hummus is very much a matter of personal taste, so I advise you to taste as you go and adjust accordingly.

I agree with the 'easy on the garlic' advice. I find that a few hours after the hummus has been made, the garlic seems to get stronger and can become very strident and overpowering.

This is why the roasted garlic was so perfect. It added just the right touch. And, I took it extremely easy on the raw.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've also seen non-standard versions of hummus made with other types of beans in addition to or even instead of chick peas. These can also be quite yummy, although I submit that if one goes too far with this it probably leaves the land of "hummus" proper and wanders into a general multi-culti bean dip region. :smile: Indeed, there's much to be said for the general strategy of combining some kind of legume with some kind of fat and some assorted seasonings and add-ins into any number of bean-dip type dishes--the possibilities are endless.

As to which chick peas to use: I've even started with dried chickpeas, pressure-cooked till nice and mashable, and not noticed all that much difference in the finished product. I too think the real differences show up with the choice/amounts of other ingredients. Myself, I like my hummus really pungent, plus I'm a self-admitted garlic nut (the first step is acknowledging it :laugh: ), so I put in a goodly amount of the raw minced stuff and actually like that its flavor gets more intense the next day.

Second on the peanut butter substitution. We were out of tahini, and read somewhere to use peanut butter. This has become our regular recipe now...

I agree with other posters about not overdoing the garlic. I use roasted garlic, and just a touch of raw. I also toast my cumin seeds in a dry frying pan.

A question about sesame paste and sesame oil.  What is the shelf life of these things?  I bought a little bottle of sesame oil and though it was fine for the first couple uses, it was horrible within a couple months, practically gave off fumes.  Will the Tahini keep?  I liked the idea on one of the threads you listed of making a sort of Tahini with toasted sesame seeds and oil so that it was fresh.  Also, I liked the addition of a bit of plain yogurt.  Will experiment with all this.  Thanks again.  lkm

I keep both sesame oil AND tahini in the fridge. The sesame oil gets cloudy at cold temperatures, but will return to its normal appearance when it returns to room temperature. Stir the tahini before using. (I like a Lebanese brand I get at the health food store.)

My method for making hummus is: Throw the drained chick peas into the food processor and process until ground. Add tahini until the consistency is a thick paste. Add lemon juice until you like the flavor balance. Keep tasting as you process. You can thin it with a little water or plain yogurt. Add seasonings & other ingredients to taste. I also go easy on the garlic because it seems to become more powerful as it stands. Leftover hummus keeps well in the fridge (I've never stord it more than a few days, though... it always seems to get eaten up!).

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

It is true that sesame seeds and toasted sesame oil quickly become rancid. They should be kept refrigerated.

On the other hand, tahini and non-toasted seame oil can be kept for years on the cupboard shelf without turning rancid. +

For those of you who find humus indigestible and reduce the garlic until you finallly end up with a tasteless dip. You might consider leaving in the designated amount of garlic and pushing the mixture through a food mill then discard the skins. The resutling flavor is vivid and the dip is well tolerated.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

As to which chick peas to use: I've even started with dried chickpeas, pressure-cooked till nice and mashable, and not noticed all that much difference in the finished product.

I've taken a few classes at a local DC Lebanese restaurant and their recipe calls for soaked and cooked dried beans and I thought it made all the difference in the world in terms of texture.

Whenever I've tried with canned chickpeas the texture has been a little grainy. The dried beans make a smooth, more creamy version that I really like.

Bill Russell

Spanish smoked paprika is a nice addition as well.

Roasted peppers make a nice addition - they make the resulting mix lighter and fresher.

One thing to consider as you experiment, some flavors interfere with each other, so you may want to try some simple things first, e.g. more lemon, less tahini etc. Have fun - I was thinking of posting my old base recipe, but then decided it was too far off the mark of what I make these days - have fun!

Adding a little less oil to the mix and replacing it with some plain old water will help make it a little lighter. And puree the heck out of it if you want smooth. For me, the smoother the better - but whatever floats your boat. I don't add any paprika or cumin or anything to the mix... just sprinkle some on top when serving.

For home I use fresh garlic - in my family it's rare to have too much garlic. If I'm making it for a catering function, I may replace it with roasted - also good, but I like the punch of the fresh stuff.

Serve with warm pita. grilled is better. (in the restaurant used to send it out with sliced cucumber, tomato, peppers, pickled peppers and olives).

For those of you who find humus indigestible and reduce the garlic  until you finallly end up with a tasteless dip. You  might consider leaving in the designated amount of garlic and  pushing  the mixture through a food mill then discard the skins. The resutling flavor is vivid and the dip is well tolerated.

There is a happy medium on this one. There is the matter of too much raw garlic being indigestible, but to me it is more a matter of balance. Heads of garlic vary in flavour and pungency and for that reason it makes sense to taste as you go and not become completely constricted by a recipe. I'm not sure what you mean about the food mill. I have not seen a hummus recipe that suggests leaving the 'skins' on. But I do agree that it is certainly not an option to leave the garlic out. Definitely not!

I always serve it with triangles of toasted pitta bread.

For those of you who find humus indigestible and reduce the garlic  until you finallly end up with a tasteless dip. You  might consider leaving in the designated amount of garlic and  pushing  the mixture through a food mill then discard the skins. The resutling flavor is vivid and the dip is well tolerated.

There is a happy medium on this one. There is the matter of too much raw garlic being indigestible, but to me it is more a matter of balance. Heads of garlic vary in flavour and pungency and for that reason it makes sense to taste as you go and not become completely constricted by a recipe. I'm not sure what you mean about the food mill. I have not seen a hummus recipe that suggests leaving the 'skins' on. But I do agree that it is certainly not an option to leave the garlic out. Definitely not!

I always serve it with triangles of toasted pitta bread.

I don't recall seeing too many hummus recipes that specify whether or not to leave the skins on. Of course none suggest leaving the skins on, but neither do most say to take them off.

A food mill makes it so it very easy to make hummus as Ms Wolfert suggests. I don't have the patience like my maman and aunts to peel each chick pea.

As for too much raw garlic being indigestible ask Behemoth about her little brother. Tastes vary and to each her/his own with the garlic in hummus, but if you can't taste the garlic it ain't hummus.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

A small point, but as one can notice in Ann_T's photo, a nice way to serve hummus is with some additional good olive oil pooled on top. (I usually make a depression in the middle). I also like to garnish with freshly chopped parsley, both for taste and presentation.

Thanks for the smoked paprika idea; that sounds like a great idea.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

yeah jason is right beans all the same but one thing i found about using the liquid to thin it out is that some times itll leave a bitter metalic flavor . the peanut butter is awsome and all butterz for that matter :biggrin:toasted cashew butter iz da bomb . but i always come back to this recipie as much garlic (take out those nasty green garlic buds in the middle ) as you like s/p rinsed beans limon juise to taste toasted tahini good greak olive oil chopped cilantro chili empolvo real chili powder and a little cumin then i thin it out with a little olive brine and warm water . i like it :biggrin: have fun hummus is like third on my all time favorite foods cause you can do anything with it like pizza and tacos :wub: mmmmmmtacos drool drool :smile:

This is what I mean when I refer to a food mill. It mashes the chick peas and removes the skins at the same time.

Ahaaaaa, I get you now. I thought you were referring to 'skins' on the garlic which had me completely confused! I always use a food processor to make hummus as I like it smooth and creamy, so never worry about the skins on the chick peas.

Many years ago, I did a story on the 'search for the best hummus' in Israel and discovered the expression 'let's go wipe.' It referred to using a piece of pita bread to wipe up the delectable chickpea and tahini dip that Israelis have adopted as their absolute favorite snack. Israeli food writers argued endlessly about such matters as whether in a proper hummus the chickpeas must be peeled or the tahini refrigerated. So, when I returned home in side by side tests the peeled chickpeas produced a better flavor and color. Try it and let me know, but please use home cooked chickpeas and press them through a food mill.

Otherwise, here are two ways that eastern Mediterranean women peel chickpeas:

Place soaked chickpeas in a deep bowl. Gently rub chickpeas against one another under water, then remove the peels as they float to the top; or place a handful of chickpeas between 2 rough towels and rub and roll them around until the skins roll off.

On another note, tahini has excellent antioxidant qualities, it has a long shelf life. Turn the jar upside down from time to time to keep the oil from separating. Once you make up a batch of hummus , it loses these keeping qualities and needs to be refrigerated.

Another tip I learned back then, instead of just scooping some tahini from a jar and using it straight, try mixing the tahini with a little lemon juice and garlic until it is white and 'tight,' then loosen with cold water before adding some of the chickpea cooking liquid, the chickpeas, and the seasoning. The final hummus will be lighter and creamier. If you let it rest and mellow for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature it will only be better.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Thaks for this. Really interesting. As it happens, I plan to make hummus this weekend, so will follow your tips. One question though, do the chickpeas retain more texture when you use a foodmill as opposed to a food processor?

Thaks for this.  Really interesting.  As it happens, I plan to make hummus this weekend, so will follow your tips.  One question though, do the chickpeas retain more texture when you use a foodmill as opposed to a food processor?

You can press the chickpeas through the fine blade of the food mill then make it in the food processor. It's an extra step but I think worth it.

I forgot to mention this upthread: You can also take cooked chickpeas and place them in a deep bucket with plenty of water and use your hands to swirl them around until all the peels float to the top. This is the way it is done in the finest Moroccan kitchens. Peeled chickpeas are used in a couscous or a tagine.

Moroccans make a type of hummus dip without tahini called serruda. IN this case, they don't peel the chickpeas.

Moroccans make a type of hummus dip without tahini called serruda. IN this case, they don't peel the chickpeas.

There is a word for the texture of the skin of chickpeas and fava beans that escapes me at the moment. Sometimes the texture that the skins provide is considered desirable.

EDIT: poor spelling, which I don't usually check for.

Edited by chefzadi (log)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Another tip I learned back then, instead of just scooping some tahini from a jar and using it straight, try mixing the tahini with a little lemon juice and garlic until it is white and 'tight,' then loosen with cold water  [...]

And this mixture is also good as a sauce for falafel...mmm.

Your comment on Israeli hummus reminded me of the platters of tehini and hummus that they always brought to the table in Israel to begin a meal. I was there with my high-school graduating class and many of us filled up on the appetizer before the meal. :wub: