• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hummus: Additives, Techniques, Recipes

Interesting. From what I always understood, middle eastern tehina is not from roasted sesame seeds, it's a raw sesame paste. Asian sesame paste is made from roasted sesame seeds. Like day and night, really. The Asian sesame paste is (IMO) a million times more flavorful. I use it in cooking and also in some baking, but I've never mixed it with water-lemon juice-garlic like I do with "regular" tehina.

Yes, traditional meddle eastern hummus is made with raw, not toasted, sesame tahini. Usually the choice is between shelled and unshelled sesame seeds for making the tahini.

That said, hummus, even traditional hummus, lends itself to numerous personal and regional interpretations, so why not try it with toasted sesame seeds? How about an "Asian-style" hummus? Could be interesting.

Over the years I've made various types of hummus. A favorite is "Southwestern" style hummus, made with black garbanzo beans and chipotle peppers, or an Asian style made with black soy beans, roasted sesame seeds, and some plum vinegar. These are far from traditional, but very interesting and make a surprising appetizer or side dish.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

Interesting. From what I always understood, middle eastern tehina is not from roasted sesame seeds, it's a raw sesame paste. Asian sesame paste is made from roasted sesame seeds. Like day and night, really. The Asian sesame paste is (IMO) a million times more flavorful. I use it in cooking and also in some baking, but I've never mixed it with water-lemon juice-garlic like I do with "regular" tehina.

Yes, traditional meddle eastern hummus is made with raw, not toasted, sesame tahini. Usually the choice is between shelled and unshelled sesame seeds for making the tahini.

That said, hummus, even traditional hummus, lends itself to numerous personal and regional interpretations, so why not try it with toasted sesame seeds? How about an "Asian-style" hummus? Could be interesting.

Over the years I've made various types of hummus. A favorite is "Southwestern" style hummus, made with black garbanzo beans and chipotle peppers, or an Asian style made with black soy beans, roasted sesame seeds, and some plum vinegar. These are far from traditional, but very interesting and make a surprising appetizer or side dish.

Definitely go for it. Middle easterners can get a little shirty about this. The word "hummus" means "chick pea" in both Hebrew and Arabic. In the west, we use the word "hummus" to refer to almost anything with that same spread-like consistency, no matter what it's made of. I think the spreads are all good, but I can't bring myself to call them "hummus." :smile:

Definitely go for it. Middle easterners can get a little shirty about this. The word "hummus" means "chick pea" in both Hebrew and Arabic. In the west, we use the word "hummus" to refer to almost anything with that same spread-like consistency, no matter what it's made of. I think the spreads are all good, but I can't bring myself to call them "hummus." :smile:

As the resident Middle Easterner on this thread, shirty is right!

From what I always understood, middle eastern tehina is not from roasted sesame seeds, it's a raw sesame paste. Asian sesame paste is made from roasted sesame seeds.

1) Perhaps, I should have said toasted rather than roasted, although the terms seem to be used without any fixed dividing line.

2) I know Asian roasted is not tahini or a substitute for tahini.

3) Every recipe I've ever seen for home made tahini calls for the seeds to be at least lightly toasted / roasted. I've wasted too much time this morning looking on Google for ANY recipe that fails to toast/roast the seeds. I couldn't find one.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I am all about experimenting in the kitchen, so apologies if it is offending to purist and resident middle easterners but after Shel_B's comment, I'll split my batch in Ottolenghi and Soy-Chilli-Rice vinegar asian version of hummus (or garbanzo beans bread spread). Seeds are toasted because I like the flavour better that way.

Still don't know for how long can you keep it in the fridge, anyone please?

Bojana - on the shelf life my rule of thumb is a week. The variables like your fridge temp, how often you take it out to serve some, cleanliness of utensils and such factors certainly affect the quality.

Bojana - on the shelf life my rule of thumb is a week. The variables like your fridge temp, how often you take it out to serve some, cleanliness of utensils and such factors certainly affect the quality.

Thank you, we should be able to manage it within a week. My fridge is 4C and I always use clean utensils.

And remember it freezes beautifully

This is the tip I am really happy with, did not know. Now I can make a large batch and freeze part that we will not consume directly. Thank you both!

With the amount of lemon juice I find hummus last at least a week in theme fridge. Usually eaten through the week but I've had it go longer with no loss of flavor or texture. Didn't do microbiological cultures but no visible mold.

When I have a fair amount that needs to get used I'll make a spiced ground meat dish with lots of fine chopped onions that are cooked down until they nearly disappear. The meat is spiced with baharat spices and cooked until nearly dry. I'm sure there is a name for this. The meat is surrounded by a generous ring of hummus and is served with salad.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

There are a few times of hummus b'lahmes out there. One uses ground meat, another chunks. Sometimes even shawarma meat is used. The best, however, is with 'awarma, which is basically lamb confit.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made up a big batch tonight, from Paula Wolfert's recipe. She says, to answer your question above, that hummus keeps a week.

How did the gnocchi turn out?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 months later...

My last two batches were untraditional but so good that I am keeping the method. Canned chickpeas with just a bit of their liquid, onions not quite caramelized, roasted garlic oil, lemon juice and ..........crushed well roasted almonds - in the FP til wonderfully creamy. 

Usually I make Bittman's recipe which is a very traditional simple hummus, but last week I came across a recipe for artichoke hummus and was intrigued. This one called for draining and rinsing jarred marinated chokes and just tossing them into the processor along with the other ingredients. It was good! I suppose you could use as much of the marinating oil as you like if that flavor appeals, or you could probably use plain canned or frozen. I considered using fresh artichokes but once I have taken the trouble to peel, dechoke etc. I would rather sauté them or do something to them that doesn't dilute the flavor. Besides, the great thing about hummus, from my perspective, is that it is super easy and by the time you add lots of lemon and olive oil and garlic using garbanzos from a jar results in almost as good a dip as going to the trouble of cooking dried beans. One thing I find that makes a small difference: using the jarred garbanzos rather than canned. They really taste better, at least to me. Same goes for chokes: I am not fond of canned, and prefer them in a jar. I admit to never having tried frozen. 

I find that hummus keeps at least several days, but that doing a couple things before serving it helps improve the final result if it has been refrigerated: taste for lemon and possible add more to brighten, take the chill off in the microwave, add a drizzle of oil.

My last two batches were untraditional but so good that I am keeping the method. Canned chickpeas with just a bit of their liquid, onions not quite caramelized, roasted garlic oil, lemon juice and ..........crushed well roasted almonds - in the FP til wonderfully creamy.

I wouldn't have thought of crushed roasted almonds in hummus, but I will now. That sounds very good.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown