• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I wanna grow stuff!

thanks memesuze! I've actually found a nursery near my job that caters specifically to City Gardeners so I'm excited to visit them at lunch today.

If they need a full 6-8 sun, then I'll set them up on the breezeway and hope the leasing agency doesn't pitch a fit. Nobody comes down this spot but us or people coming to see us, and it's not like it's garbage, so I'm sure they will be cool. I'm sure my upstairs neighbor will get a kick out of it too, since he's pretty much the only other person that lays eyes on the area.

And if he's like most folks, he'll also get a kick out of it in anticipation of receiving a few homegrown tomatoes!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

he deserves them - he's the leaf-sweeping fairy.

Who knows - if all goes well, maybe i could take over his porch too. He has full unobstructed sun.

This is the biggest reason why I don't grow squash anymore.

Squash bugs suck sap from plants, and cause leaves to wilt. They begin showing up in May and June, and almost immediately, start laying eggs. The eggs are bronze-colored, and are laid in clusters on the leaves. If you find the eggs, squish ‘em, and control the remaining adults with natural repellants or insecticides.

Squash bugs can be persistent, but even they aren’t as difficult to control as the squash vine borer. The larva of the squash vine borer drills into the vine, interrupting the flow of nutrients and causing the plant to wilt. At this point, there are only two options: carefully slit the stem open and kill the worm [pressing the stem back together and hoping it survives], or inject the stem above where the worm is with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki). Watch for the looks at the pharmacy or other store when you go looking for a syringe....The best control is to monitor your plants closely, since early signs of feeding indicate that other eggs will be hatching soon.

baha - we'll see. for reasons that shall remain unsaid, he sorta scares me. But he's a nice enough guy.

anyways - i went by the local urban gardening nursery. The gentleman there was very helpful and knowledgeable. He told me what i needed, showed me the plants they had - suggested good starter plants for an amateur, and even gave me some containers for seedlings.

I wound up buying some seed - San Marzano tomatoes, basil, and tom thumb lettuce. I'll wait on the lettuce, but i'll play with the tomato and basil and see what happens. If planting the tomato from seed directly doesn't work, then i'll just focus on cultvating herbs until the time is right for some of the other veggies.

baha - we'll see.  for reasons that shall remain unsaid, he sorta scares me.  But he's a nice enough guy.

If planting the tomato from seed directly doesn't work, then i'll just focus on cultvating herbs until the time is right for some of the other veggies.

Hee. Sorry; I have an instinctive matchmaking bent. Ask all my single friends. :)

Glad you found a helpful nursery! About growing tomatoes from seed: it's trickier than buying seedlngs, but it's not as hard as some people seem to make it sound. When I started gardening in earnest, it was because I was a young, single mother and <i>needed</i> to grow my own vegetables (cheaply!) if I wanted my five little children to have fresh foods... the produce department is a budget-buster when money is tight. Even the seedlings were too pricey for me then, so I started out with seeds for everything, and it wasn't until much later I learned that it was supposed to be "hard" to do that with tomatoes. Of course, there was no internet back then to discourage me!

Glad you found a helpful nursery!  About growing tomatoes from seed:  it's trickier than buying seedlngs, but it's not as hard as some people seem to make it sound.  When I started gardening in earnest, it was because I was a young, single mother and <i>needed</i> to grow my own vegetables (cheaply!) if I wanted my five little children to have fresh foods... the produce department is a budget-buster when money is tight.  Even the seedlings were too pricey for me then, so I started out with seeds for everything, and it wasn't until much later I learned that it was supposed to be "hard" to do that with tomatoes.  Of course, there was no internet back then to discourage me!

*lol* funny how the internet dispels "ignorance" isn't it? Kudos to you for deciding to grow your own veggies, as opposed to just settle for going without veggies, as many people on tight budgets do. That alway bothers me.

and to be honest - to me growing from seed seems easier - primarily because it's a sort of set it and forget it thing (other than watering and sunshine). I guess i'm sort of daunted by transplanting - as that's never worked out well for me. the plants i've tried that with in the past just got too much of a shock, i guess. (not that i even remotely knew what i was doing - so that prolly had a lot to do with it.)

as for the match-making - it's perfectly alright. Lord know i could use it!

Most of those single friends I mentioned *are* male... hehe. Sorry.

About the only thing I can think of to recommend about transplanting tomatoes is this: if the plants start looking spindly, you may have to repot before you transplant. I start my seeds in tiny containers (I've been collecting those rectangular plastic baby food things from friends for a couple of years, now,) then move them to standard veggie-sized cans, then (if necessary -- and it has been, up here in the Great White North of Virginia) to medium-sized flower pots. Yes, that's a lot of transplanting, but I've had far fewer losses than when I tried going from seed-starting cubes to the out-of-doors. Of course, since you're doing containers anyway... maybe you could just start your seeds in the coolers themselves?

Too bad you're not nearby. I have about 15 styro coolers sitting in the basement, rarely used. I'm tempted to try growing in coolers on the deck, myself just because I've never heard of doing it before. I've been known to try far, far stranger things...

That's sort of what I was thinking - that I'd just start the seed in the cooler - i'm gonna put the basil and the tomato in the same container anyway, since they are good companions for each other.

I've only got two styro coolers at the moment, and one sits in the car to hold meats on the way from the store. But it's easy to find them here. You should totally experiment with the coolers you have - it couldn't hurt!

Now here's a quetion i have - to stop the dirt from going down the drainholes - is gravel a bad idea for the bottom? I've been poking around the gardenweb forums - seems like a lot of people use screening, but i kinda like the idea of gravel better - seems more earthlike to me.

My opinion on the tomato seed thing....

First, you are container growing and, if I'm correct in my assumption, limited on space. If you buy seeds, you get what -- thousands or something? At least it seems like it.

At most, in your containers, I'd think you'd only want four to six plants. Maybe so many as ten, I guess, but not more, unless you have a great deal more space than I did in my balcony.

Also, it takes longer to grow the plants from seed so really, if you're going to do that, you should probably have started those seeds well before now.

Just saying....

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Now here's a quetion i have - to stop the dirt from going down the drainholes - is gravel a bad idea for the bottom?  I've been poking around the gardenweb forums - seems like a lot of people use screening, but i kinda like the idea of gravel better - seems more earthlike to me.

Of course, I've never tried growing in coolers, but I use rock or broken pottery in the bottom of my flowerpots, so I can't imagine why gravel would be a bad idea, unless there was going to be a lot of moving around that might damage the styrofoam. Screen would be kind of a pain, I'd think, especially if you have something else lying around that would work. And I'm always for earthlike, witchy girl that I am. Of course, styrofoam is not so earthy itself, but since I "rescued" these coolers that I have, I'm all for recycling them into growing containers. They're getting a little battered from campers & festival goers here, anyway...

Hee - if it's going to be on earth for all eternity - might as well put it to good use!

I think i'll try the gravel at the bottom, especially since i don't have broken pottery shards lying around.

Maybe you could recycle your coolers into little garden plots for patio-bound friends?

You can use anything....a little gravel works fine. Just don't use too much. One layer, and don't use pea gravel. Or a piece of pottery. Or a mashed up Coke can. Or wadded up aluminum foil. I've found that with my coolers, and a lot of holes poked with a screwdriver, and good-quality potting soil, I didn't really need a lot of drainage help. It drained pretty well with not much effort.

jaymes - i never saw your post last night about growing from seed. But i agree with you. I didn't think about the six weeks or so it would take. I've kept the San Marzano seeds to try next spring (real early) and I'm gonna give soem to a friend too.

So last night I wound up going to the Home Depot and getting a nice 8-inch tall patio cherry tomato. I also picked up some common thyme seeds and some catnip seed.

The cooler i got is kinda small, prolly a 12X16? I just planted the one tomato, and sowed some Basil and Thyme seeds on either side.

I poked holes in a double row along the bottom of the cooler, and then about an inch from the bottom along the sides. Then i did a single layer of river rock, and filled it half way with Farfa (?) potting mix, a very loose pack, wet it, wet my plant, spread the roots a little bit, put it on the mix, and then covered with some more and watered the whole thing. I think it's draining pretty well, because i did have a lid ful of water this morning. (which i took and rewatered with this morning)

So far the plant's looking pretty perky. If i can find the cable for my ancient cheap-ass digital camera - I will show y'all mah rig.

I plan on sowing the catnip today. Also on today's list of chores - buying a real watering can (as opposed to a plastic arizona ice tea quart bottle) and a decorative bowl like thing for the herbs.

I've had "regular" basil plants that got to be 2x2x2 easily - so the pairing with a tomato plant in that size cooler may not work. Just be aware that you may need to rip it out....and keep the flower buds pruned back religiously, or it will bolt and then be ready only for the compost bin....in all likelihood, one plant or two of the thyme won't be too much

I love this vicarious gardening you're allowing us to do....

Well I appreciate all the help! Yeah - I'm prepared to prune and pull up sickly plants to make room for 1 or 2 healthy plants. I don't really know what to do with basil - it's jsut not part of my South Indian repertoire, but my room-mate likes it.

Anyways - here are the pictures - they are truly crap-tastic because they were taken with a $20 digital camera I found at Target like 4 years ago. It doesn't even have a flash...

gallery_10291_3007_8063.jpg

gallery_10291_3007_33046.jpg

Looks very happy! Makes me quite lonesome for my deck.

thanks Jaymes! So far so good. Altho i'm sorta concerned about overwatering it. And the fact that I've just planted it and now can look forward to an entire week of clouds and rain. *sigh*

in other news - I went to another nursery today - I actually like this one a lot. They had a huge selection of stuff, and there were quite a few knowledgeable people there. They also had really great seeds - i found the White Icicle Radish seeds that I wanted. Now i'm all set for fall - lettuce, radish, onions and I'll prolly get a beet and a garlic.

Also picked up some more plants (i bought a big bag of potting soil yesterday - can't let it go to waste). I decided to do a perennial herb bowl - which i housed in a plastic terra cotta looking thing. It has:

Lemon Balm - the nursery guy turned me on to it - told me it tastes really great with pineapple and melon and as a tea. It smells lovely - like citronella but fruity instead of mediciney.

Thyme - i'm hedging my bets in case the seeds don't grow.

Cat Thyme - I have no idea if cats actually like it, but it's a nice frosty green.

Cat Nip - I did 2 plants - hoping for a nice bunch of it, once everything comes in. I broke off a leaf, and crushed it, and my one cat sniffed and looked at me like i was crazy (not an unusual reaction for him, but there was also dirt on my hands so maybe that was throwing him off.)

The other cat molested me, so we know the catnip's good.

And I got another cooler and planted some more annuals -

Black Pearl Ornamental Pepper - this one i had to buy because it was just striking. The leaves come in green and then turn purpley black, the peppers start off black and turn birght red, and the flowers are a bright purple. It's gorgeous, and has a bunch of buds on it. The peppers are edible and allegedly very hot.

Coriander - I know it's going to get too hot for them, but this plant hasn't bloomed yet, and it's going to be a relatively cool week, and there's actually just enough for me to season the Dhal and garnish the shrimp i'll be making this weekend. So no harm no foul - plus i have seeds.

Summer Bunching Scallion - this i'm doing from seed - it takes 8 - 10 days to sprout, and can be sown right into midsummer - so we'll see.

Anyways - I'll post pics whenever the sun comes out again, since my camera won't take a picture otherwise.

I really do need to thank y'all for being so supportive and helpful, and full of great ideas. Now my potting mix is all gone - so no more plants - just nurturing.

Oh - I've just discovered that i'm a plant talker. I never thought I would be, but it just happened.

Here's the pepper and cilantro - my camera doesn't do this plant justice:

gallery_10291_3007_23680.jpg

And the Herb Bowl:

gallery_10291_3007_55965.jpg

Clockwise from top: Thyme, Cat Thyme, Catnip, Catnip, Lemon Balm

I'm also thinking that when it's time to plant new annuals, i'm going to paint the coolers.

I'm not sure if external latex will stick, but that's a question for home depot i guess.

I was thinking of painting them Terra Cotta colored - and then highlighting the ridged details in Turquoise and Yellow and Red - kind of like Mexican Pottery. Only the outsides though - i would prefer that the white stay on the inside, since they are planted so deep in the container - the Sun can reflect off the white and back onto the lower reaches of my plants.

I also finally got Bountiful Container from the library - I love this book!

I was thinking of painting them Terra Cotta colored - and then highlighting the ridged details in Turquoise and Yellow and Red - kind of like Mexican Pottery. 

That sounds awesome! Let me give you a suggestion about this. I do it all the time with bottles & such. Go to a craft store (like Michael's or Ben Franklin) and you will find textured spray paint in a terra cotta color that is supposed to look like suede. I suppose it does, but the texture is hard and very much like terra cotta... wine bottles sprayed with it look like they're made of clay. It would very likely stick to the styrofoam just fine, too... and it's easy to apply, being a spray paint. When I thought about planting something in one of my coolers, I have to say the only thing I didn't like was the thought of how the white styrofoam would look, and the first thing I thought of was spraying the cooler with the suede spray. I love the idea of painting colors on top of it, too... very nifty! Hope you'll take pictures when you're done!

absolutely - I'm gonna have to show off my fall plantings anyway!

The Spray paint is an excellent idea - I have a Michael's right around the corner anyway. I'm sure if the paint sticks to glass it will stick to the coolers.

As for the colors on top - yeah I figured that was the only way i could get the red plastic handles to not stick out like sore thumbs.

absolutely - I'm gonna have to show off my fall plantings anyway!

The Spray paint is an excellent idea - I have a Michael's right around the corner anyway.  I'm sure if the paint sticks to glass it will stick to the coolers.

As for the colors on top - yeah I figured that was the only way i could get the red plastic handles to not stick out like sore thumbs.

You can yank those handles out I think. And, although the price is right for the coolers, remember that the reason I started using them was for the tomatoes -- to keep the roots from baking in the hot Texas sun. I was trying to keep the roots cool, so that the blossoms would keep setting tomatoes.

I didn't plant everything in them, just the tomatoes. Although I guess you could. Especially if you made them more attractive..... :rolleyes:

*lol* yeah i know....it's actually just winding up easier to plant annuals - especially the sun loving ones in them.

simply because the price is right, and they are easier to move around. For perennials i'm getting some sturdier ones. Now if i can find some good pots for cheap that i can put on wheels - or some other container on wheels - then i'll use those instead.

I'm regretting my decision to plant catnip seeds next to the tomatoes - those are sprouting already. perhaps when they are adequate - ill just pull them up and dry them.

Edited by tryska (log)