• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

foam help

Sethro

I am foam retarded. I have versa whip (500 and 600). I have a recipe (5g versa whip o 500ml fruit juice). I have a good bottle (an iSi).

The foam just isn't stable at all though. Does it sound like I've missed the mark somewhere? I think I need some very specific instructions on handling the versa whip. Right now I'm stick blending it into the juice and resting it overnight.

I thought the pictures of Sam working with it (wd50 thread?) showed him using an handheld electric mixer, like an handheld KA unit.

I get the impression it's an ala minute thing.

Never got the idea that the foamer was the method of delivery.Page #9 Post 259 Docsconz

The pics of the desserts like the Manchago shows the difference in the texture of the foam , as well as a few others and the KA handheld too.

Hope this helps.

I just sent away for my samples today :biggrin: Versa Whip 600.

PS: Should I have asked for the 500 too?

I didn't want to seem too greedy :wink:

2317/5000

I haven't even broken into the 600 yet, and honestly have no idea if the higher number indicates a difference in strength or what.

So are you saying that at WD~50 they keep the foam base in a bain marie or something and hand whip it to order? The versa whip isn't the easient thing to get homegenous, so I can't imagine them doing the whole process ala minute. Maybe it's re-whipped to order?

That could be Re: Rewhipping to order.

Maybe it was a quote from doc that the pineapple foam on the Manchego deflated a bit on sitting?

Or maybe it was one of yours.

Re: 500/600 strength Versawhip: The person I spoke to said a number of chefs had been asking about it and were getting samples of the 600.

So maybe try your luck and whip out (up?) the 600 there, chap!!! :biggrin:

Best of luck

PS: The question about the bain marie, etc., you're basing that on the pix?

Do you have to keep it warm?

I haven't even broken into the 600 yet, and honestly have no idea if the higher number indicates a difference in strength or what.

So are you saying that at WD~50 they keep the foam base in a bain marie or something and hand whip it to order? The versa whip isn't the easient thing to get homegenous, so I can't imagine them doing the whole process ala minute. Maybe it's re-whipped to order?

2317/5000

I was suggesting a bain marie because of its shape. I saw Sam Mason using a quart container in that pic after I posted though. I don't remember any green foams at WD~50 though...I feel like that might be the basil meringue which to me would make more sense with a KA handheld.

Anyways I had a bit more sucess yesterday, bringing the juice base to 80c and incorporating the vw with a bit of sugar to avoid clumping. I really have to use the iSi whip because my service area is cluttered enough without a KA sitting out, and service is usually one person and that would turn into a great white whale having to wip the foam ala minute for every order (its part of the tasting menu).

Got my foam perfect!

Satsuma Foam

400 ml satsuma tangerine juice

25 ml lemon juice

25 ml sherry vinegar

50 ml sake

30 g sugar

6 g versa-whip 600

2 g xantham gum

1 pinch salt

Combine the liquids and bring to a steam (160 f ish) Whisk together the dry and slowly whisk into the liquid. Strain and chill. Load into whip canister and charge with two N2Os.

Edited by Sethro (log)

The xantham gum is a pre requisite?

I just got the VW 500 samples yesterday, which is labeled for confectionary use.

How did you finesse the recipe?

Do tell!!!

Thanks.

2317/5000

Someone here mentioned to me I should use .25% guar gum as well. I didn't have any so I just used Xantham, and I used closer to .5% so I could see the diference. Basically you wind up with more viscosity in the base that way.

Slowly whisking it in with sugar also eliminated the need for any bermixing. The bermixing basically foams it, so then you have to let it rest overnight or more until you can use it. I am basically making it, straining and chilling it, loading it into a chilled canister and its ready imediately.

Also noteworthy is that higher acidity provides for a thicker base as well. I'm wondering if I could use a pinch of tartaric acid for a not-so-sour foam like straight-up vanilla or basil or something.

Keep in mind a thicker vw base like this is going to result in a whipped-cream look. If you want to more sea-foam look, then lecithin is your guy.

• 2 months later...

I have no idea how I miss these threads, its like they disapear before I see them.

When Sam did his demo, he used 1.25% versa whip with .25% Xanthan.

It weeped a little bit but held pretty stable for a few hours. Ended up discarding the small bit that was left of it, so I dont know exactly how long it could go.

Me and F.Migoya were discussing a foam one time, and he came across the idea of preparing protions that you need and freezing them. The once you need it, pull it out and the foam should thaw relatively quick. Of course that was with lecithin, I am not sure how similar versa/xanthan would be.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I have no idea how I miss these threads, its like they disapear before I see them.

When Sam did his demo, he used 1.25% versa whip with .25% Xanthan.

It weeped a little bit but held pretty stable for a few hours.  Ended up discarding the small bit that was left of it, so I dont know exactly how long it could go.

Me and F.Migoya were discussing a foam one time, and he came across the idea of preparing protions that you need and freezing them.  The once you need it, pull it out and the foam should thaw relatively quick.  Of course that was with lecithin, I am not sure how similar versa/xanthan would be.

I've tried freezing foams before. Basically because the foam is mostly empty space, it develops a tremendous network of ice crystals (worse than the worst sorbet ever), that makes it unusable frozen or thawed.

Its really unecessary anyhow since VW is able to be re-whipped repeatedly.

On a related topic:

Anyone have any experience with high-fat foams? Are any of these stabilizers fat soluable? If not I thought maybe I could saturate the vw and stabilizers into isomalt and then burr that into the fat base. I know isomalt and fats will hold, but if I make an isomalt water mixture and blend that into the fat, will the water weep out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've tried freezing foams before. Basically because the foam is mostly empty space, it develops a tremendous network of ice crystals (worse than the worst sorbet ever), that makes it unusable frozen or thawed.

Its really unecessary anyhow since  VW is able to be re-whipped repeatedly.

On a related topic:

Anyone have any experience with high-fat foams?

Sort of touching on both these issues, Adria's frozen parmesan air is pretty damn good. The mouthfeel from the cheese fat balances out the ice crystals pretty well. (It is quick to collapse as it warms, so needs to be served in its chilled container/glass or on a pre-frozen plate, though.)

The recipe is here at Texturas - it's basically just cheese, water and lecithin. Whether you'd need a stronger emulsifer for higher fat mixes, or how the fat would affect an additional foaming products like Versa Whip I don't know.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

Its really unecessary anyhow since  VW is able to be re-whipped repeatedly.

On a related topic:

Anyone have any experience with high-fat foams?

Sort of touching on both these issues, Adria's frozen parmesan air is pretty damn good. The mouthfeel from the cheese fat balances out the ice crystals pretty well. (It is quick to collapse as it warms, so needs to be served in its chilled container/glass or on a pre-frozen plate, though.)

The recipe is here at Texturas - it's basically just cheese, water and lecithin. Whether you'd need a stronger emulsifer for higher fat mixes, or how the fat would affect an additional foaming products like Versa Whip I don't know.

The parmesan air - frozen in styrofoam containers in a blast chiller - produces excellent results.

The parmesan air - frozen in styrofoam containers in a blast chiller - produces excellent results.

Great theatre, too. Of all the crazy cutlery and crockery at El Bulli, it was those foam fast-food containers that got me smiling the most.

Digijam - good to know - that might save on service pieces in the future. :wink: And thanks for posting the link to the recipe - it is the same as used in the restaurant.