• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting licensed

Desiderio

Ok I am thinking and retinking about licenses and permits and taxes and all that boring stuff that I hate.If I could only do chocolates I would be happy but I need to get my self to learn all the boring thing if I want this to go further.

I am looking into the SBDC sites of my area ,and I am wondering is that the good way to go?I was thinking to go there ask a bunch of question attempt the class for the small business etc .Will they be able to direct me in the right direction for what concernes all the licenses , permits and taxes?

If any of you guys have experience ( I am sure lots of you does), please feel free to illuminate me :shock: .

Thank you

Sincerly

Vanessa

Ok I am thinking and retinking about licenses and permits and taxes and all that boring stuff that I hate.If I could only do chocolates I would be happy but I need to get my self to learn all the boring thing  if I want this to go further.

I am looking into the SBDC sites of my area ,and I am wondering is that the good way to go?I was thinking to go there ask a bunch of question attempt the class for the small business etc .Will they be able to direct me in the right direction for what concernes all the licenses , permits and taxes?

If any of you guys have experience ( I am sure lots of you does), please feel free to illuminate me  :shock: .

Thank you

Sincerly

Hey there,

the Small Biz Administration in Cali can help you get started, usually a biz permit, some type of documentation tied into a responsibility of paying personal property tax on equipment and Capital improvements along with a license to do business,check your local codes, you may want to get your food handlers certifications in order if you don't already have them, aside from that an accounting proggy such as Peach Tree Standard edition ( I picked up an edition for my wife's biz for free w/the 169.00) full rebate from Office Depot, and don't forget to cost everything out (www.Costguard.com)-about 500.00 for a non Enterprise single workstation edition with no extra frills module add ons. from there get incorporated maybe do an LLC set up a biz account with your favorite bank and get your Ledger go to go.

from there on out it's all on you, expect to pay, pay and pay on top of that for ridic. stuff like taxes, and Insurance, factor it all in, remember those B2 bombers aren't cheap-Uncle Sammy has to get his cut...

if you need more, or have more questions ask away!

Michael :wink:

I never attended classes, but I received excellent technical assistance from the SBDC in my area. They helped me write a business plan. I did not need their assistance regarding licenses and codes, but I am sure they could have assisted. There is also an organization called SCORE, click here for the web site, sponsored by the SBA, made up of retired business executives in different fields. They give free advice. I've never used them, but they have a good reputation. Good luck.

Ilene

First stop should be the health dept. because they will know what licenses you will need for food in your state. For instance I dont need a food handlers cert. for cakes because I dont handle meat, but I did need one as a restaurant owner.

The SBDC is a starting point but from personal experience it is not always correct, remember small to them is 300 employees not 1. There are programs that target women enterprises as well I beleive there is an organisation called women in enterprise.

In Rhode Island there are programs geared for micro business, have a look for them. Also in RI the Secretary of States office has a program that provides you with one stop shopping for forms etc, you tell them what type of business and they put together a package (not always complete when it comes to food see above!).

Regarding SCORE I have heard of people having sucess with them, my experience was horrid, they knew nothing about the food bus. and where shocked that I (a mere woman) could crunch an excell spreadsheet! I was trying to get a loan through a womens enterprise program, they um and ahd, so long that the deal almost fell through mean while I got the loan directly from a bank with no fuss.

First stop should be the health dept. because they will know what licenses you will need for food in your state. For instance I dont need a food handlers cert. for cakes because I dont handle meat, but I did need one as a restaurant owner.

The SBDC is a starting point but from personal experience it is not always correct, remember small to them is 300 employees not 1. There are programs that target women enterprises as well I beleive there is an organisation called women in enterprise.

In Rhode Island there are programs geared for micro business, have a look for them. Also in RI the Secretary of States office has a program that provides you with one stop shopping for forms etc, you tell them what type of business and they put together a package (not always complete when it comes to food see above!).

Regarding SCORE I have heard of people having sucess with them, my experience was horrid, they knew nothing about the food bus. and where shocked that I (a mere woman) could crunch an excell spreadsheet! I was trying to get a loan through a womens enterprise program, they um and ahd, so long that the deal almost fell through mean while I got the loan directly from a bank with no fuss.

Thank you Alli, it is somewhat confusing , all the different sales taxes etc.

Its good to hear from someone with the similar experience (it will just be me into the very micro business for now).

I will check the healh dep ,and i found few women organizations around colorado.Thank you for your time and advice .

Sincerly

Vanessa

The Health Department might also have requirements about your workspace (ie, separated from home spaces, all counters raised off the floor, etc.).

Here in New York they're far stricter than most places, but you'll definitely want to check them first as complying with their rules might require some (hopefully minor) expenses that you'll want to have in mind when you plan out spreadsheets, etc.

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

yes I would have to use a separeted kitchen, I have already found one here close to me,that is licenced that is.

are you renting the kitchen?

Not at this moment , I will if I decide to get official and get licenses so I can actuall sell outside .Found couple of places where i can rent ,I will post more details when I decide to do so .

Vanessa

yes I would have to use a separeted kitchen, I have already found one here close to me,that is licenced that is.

are you renting the kitchen?

Not at this moment , I will if I decide to get official and get licenses so I can actuall sell outside .Found couple of places where i can rent ,I will post more details when I decide to do so .

May I be so gauche as to ask how much you are paying to rent the kitchen? Is it a fixed price per use, or based on your sales?

This is something that I am interested in doing also, but am totally unsure of what is a reasonable fee to pay.... I mean, you've got to be selling enough to make it worth while to pay an amount per hour...

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Not sure at this moment , I might have the opportunity to use a licenced kitchen for free ( but I wont count on it ) , and another one I would have to talk with the owner as soon as I decide what to do.I can report what I find out later to let you guys know.

Vanessa

You might try asking the churchs in your area. If you find one that will let you use it, the cost might be more than reasonable. I am using one now that views me as an outreach for approx 20 hrs a week and the fee extremely low.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

• 3 weeks later...

Ok my husband is offering me to ,instead of building his shed outside ( where he already put the concrete slab )to build me a shop, for my chocolates.

Now that would be great , its a little space but its all I need ,it is separate from the house, has its own door/ entrance, and its right in my back yard.

I dont think that requiremnets for chocolate making lab are too complicated, but still I would need to match the state (?) standards etc.

Where would I need to go to find out what exactly I need to have a licenced lab?

Dep. of health?

Thank you againnn :biggrin:

Vanessa

Dept Health, Dept Agriculture, Local Zoning Board--probably any one of those could get your going in the right direction. An architect.

Umm, you could go to your state's web site and dig around there too.

Good Luck!

Thank you K8,goodness I am looking inot the conty helth dep and wee soo confusing :blink: ,haha I see a lot of work coming my way , maybe I should just keep making chocolates for friends and family :laugh: .

Vanessa

Thank you K8,goodness I am looking inot the conty helth dep and wee soo confusing  :blink: ,haha I see a lot of work coming my way , maybe I should just keep making chocolates for  friends and family  :laugh: .

Don't give up! The place you should start is definitely with your local (county) department of health. I understand completely that when you're just beginning the process it can all seem overwhelming and beyond confusing. It's a great idea to have a dedicated space, or a space that is in some way separate from your house. I had decided that was the way to go early on and didn't want to pay rent to somebody or buy a commercial building. At the same time we were looking to buy a house, I was also trying to figure out how to accommodate a bakery. The house we fell in love with on the spot fortuitously had an attached garage that was also separated from the rest of the house by a mud room, laundry room, hall and small bathroom. It was perfect, and it fit my own local public health department regulations for a home bakery. The book of regulations they sent me to start me off only confused the heck out of me. But my husband and I very gamely waded through the thing, as big as a phone book, and then I phoned them and asked if somebody could come out to look at the space and walk us through some of the issues. And so they did. Not a big deal, it turned out, and the visit was tremendously helpful. The only thing we had completed by then was the brick oven, and the rest of the garage was a mess of junk and ancillary debris and unfinished walls, etc. She walked us through the process, helped us put together what ended up being a really short list of tasks to complete, and voila. We finished it, invited her again, hoped we'd done everything we'd been required to do, and relief. We had. I was certified last month. What had seemed from the beginning a really mysterious, insurmountable, scary process ended up being pretty simple.

Of course I'm speaking from hindsight. But I'm hoping it might help you feel less overwhelmed. Hang in there.

First of all ,Congratulation for the new buisiness , I know you were working on it but didnt know you were done .

Yes actually it really helps , knowing from someone that went thru it , that at the end isnt that impossible, right now I think at all the things I have to do , but my husband is pitching in and he is getting very helpfull and supportive, wich it gives me more courage.

Thank you very much for your support :smile:

Vanessa

Thank you K8,goodness I am looking inot the conty helth dep and wee soo confusing  :blink: ,haha I see a lot of work coming my way , maybe I should just keep making chocolates for  friends and family  :laugh: .

Vanessa,

I know you're joking, or at least I hope you're joking.

It really does sound like the space your hubby is willing to build your shop is ideal. Just heed the advice here and get the Board of Health involved early. The good news about this business is the BoH is going to be a pretty easy process, relatively speaking. You're not dealing with meat or other products that are highly pathogen-friendly (except butter and cream), so the BoH isn't going to be breathing down your neck the way they do other food service establishments.

I don't know if Colorado requires food handler licenses, but even getting that will at least give you a head start on getting some of the basic understanding of what are considered 'good sanitary practices.' And if Colorado does require them, you'll need to get it anyway, so you might as well start there. A quick check of your county's website or a quick phone call should answer that. (I used to work in AZ and they do require them...Maricopa County's website has a study guide you can download...the laws would be different in CO, but they are all based on the same FDA guidelines, so not that different.)

I know since English isn't your first language it can be a little intimidating to try and wade through government documentation that reads like it was written to confuse, but please don't let that stop you.

I would not be scared of the Health Dept. in Rhode Island I have always found them very helpfull. Ask lots of questions, I have always found with all gov. depts if you ask before doing they take the time, as I think they spend alot of time dealing with people who just went ahead. Make sure you talk to someone knowledgable When I went to the dept to inquire about the space I am going to be sub-letting the ladies behind the counter said this and that, and I kept asking questions (which they could not answer) so they gave me a supvisors # and he was great, and cut out half the paper work.

I totally agree with the others about contacting the inspector before doing any work. In my experience, inspectors appreciate being involved from the beginning and making recommendations that are followed. Once they understand your operation they will be able to focus on the critical requirements and filter out those that don't apply. And unlike written regulations, which can be daunting to understand, they usually speak in plain English. Good luck.

Ilene

THank you so much for the support!!!

This indeed will help, I will ( and I have been looking into ther web site) make sure to talk to them and have someone coming on the site and explain to me ( and my hubby , since he is the one that would have to do the job :raz: )everything we need to know and do.

I think you right when saying it might be easyer than what I think in the matter of food handling ,chocolate making is pretty easy .I do need the license,and I do have a class next week with the local SBCD, for start up business ,and an appointent with a counselour to talk about all the other aspect of the business ,so will see hot that goes.

BUt I do want to thank all of you so much for your help, support and everything else :biggrin:

Vanessa

Today I had my business start up class with the SBDC.I t was interesting and I am glad I have been reading some books on taxes and the legal part of business because I was able to recognize many of the things they were talking about.

It did helped me to realize it might be complicated but I think its possible ,I can do it , need to do my homeworks still but it can be done.

Now one thing I was thinking ,among the other millions,if you decide you want to do wholesale and get ofcourse a wholesale license ( wich it is easier),talking about pricing your product.In the case I have calculated how much a chocolate will cost me and packaging and labor etc,How do you price a whole sale product?

Meaning with wich criteria do you price something that have to e repriced and sold again?Artisanal chocolate making its expensive and we all know that,and we are not doing charity of course ,and I am well aware of the fact that my custumers would be a smaller portions of the regular chocolates consumer, because they(the chcolates) will be more expensive and probably better tasting than most of the stuff around here,and not everybody can get that.I am not looking for a huge selling for the first year ,even I wont mind , but I am trying to be realistic and keep my feet on the ground.I would have to keep my full time job and I still have to care for my family , so the slow start doesnt bother me , actually its what I am looking for at the beginning.

Oh another question if is possible :raz: ,does the chocolate making require a food handling licenses also?

Good question? :wacko: Ummm

Thank you

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa