• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tatsu's Cafe and Bar - Kansas City

JWest

So, the KC Toaster deal didn't work out but Tatsu isn't finished with the location on Westport Road.

I went in for lunch and they've turned things around by pretty much making it into a second Tatsu's French Restaurant but in a more of relaxed way. No table cloths, no carpeting, and cut the price ... now you have Tatsu's Cafe and Bar.

I ate at the bar and the owner of Habachi happened to be sitting there eating lunch. It was very slow, mainly because I think they had just recently re opened the doors. The bar is set up and if he hasn't already they are trying to get their liqour license. Bar looks much more contemporary than the one at the Original Tatsu's.

The lunch special is a deal! I recieved a drink, bread service, a large entree, dessert, and coffee for # 11.99. I had my favorite dish from Tatsu's, its the same thing I get everytime too. The Chicken Normandy was excellent, although a little more creamier than the ones I've had at the other location. Then I had the Tiramisu which he has in a Martini Glass instead of a plate. So as you can see he's serving the same fine dining cuisine but without the foo foo.

So instead of the sandwich shop you are getting a scaled down version of Tatsu's French Restaurant at Tatsu's Cafe and Bar. I think its great because now people who want to eat Tatsu's food don't have to get dressed up and pay up for what would be a larger tab.

I've got some pictures that I'll have uploaded to the comp later...

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped into today around lunch hour to take a look at their menu (didn't eat there). It's written up on a board - a selection including a coulple of chicken options (Normandie as JWest described it was one), Salmon Meuniere, a Nicoise salad, and some others (maybe a pasta?).... oh and a "Quiche of the Day."

Sadly, there wasn't a single soul inside eating...

I didn't get to see the dessert menu. Is there an option? Does anyone know?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I dropped into today around lunch hour to take a look at their menu (didn't eat there).  It's written up on a board - a selection including a coulple of chicken options (Normandie as JWest described it was one), Salmon Meuniere, a Nicoise salad, and some others (maybe a pasta?).... oh and a "Quiche of the Day."

Sadly, there wasn't a single soul inside eating... 

I didn't get to see the dessert menu.  Is there an option?  Does anyone know?

u.e.

I remember having an option of the Tiramisu, Chocolate Mousse, and couple of other options...

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I wish him the best on this but must admit I am worried about his price point. I'm sure the food is worth the $ and it is a good value, based on past Tatsu experiences. I'm less sure that the market in that area, especially at lunch, will bear it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for him, though, and hope I'm wrong (as I so often am).

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 month later...

I guess with the two reviews (The Pitch and KC Star) and a liquor license has made a rather large impact on business for Tatsu. Just from word of mouth and passing by, it seems that he's been able to keep up with westport in the evenings. Also, if you are trying to eat with him in the kitchen, I believe he's there more often than the other location, although not to worry... His sous chef has shown quite a display, seeing his wine dinner tasting menu the other day and many of his own creations have been raved by a lot of customers... I do need to make an effort to try both locations out for dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my wife out of JoCo on Friday and we headed down to Westport for lunch. Ended up at Tatsu's. They offer entrée and dessert with soft drink for 11.95. Not bad at all.

Katrina had chicken with herbs served with rice, carrots and broccoli. Chicken was perfectly done, tender and juicy. The sauce was tart with lemon and wine, with a healthy amount of thyme in it. Absolutely delicious.

For $1 more I had shrimp in pastry. Also served with carrots and broccoli. A generous portion of large shrimp in a course ground dijon mustard sauce. Another great dish, the man knows how to make a great sauce.

For dessert she had chocolate mousse with fresh berries, I didn't get any of that but there wasn't any left so i assume she liked it. I had the tiramisu. It was light and fluffy and not too sweet. No lady fingers.

We were there about 1:30 or so, and there were only 2 or 3 other tables occupied. Our server was friendly and professional, we never wanted for anything. Katrina really enjoyed it and I'm sure we'll be back.

We stopped by Bluestem on the way out of Westport but it appeared closed. Probably doing something totally unimportant like prepping for Friday night. :raz:

Edited by chileheadmike (log)

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I got my wife out of JoCo on Friday and we headed down to Westport for lunch. Ended up at Tatsu's.  They offer entrée and dessert with soft drink for 11.95. Not bad at all.

Katrina had chicken with herbs served with rice, carrots and broccoli. Chicken was perfectly done, tender and juicy. The sauce was tart with lemon and wine, with a healthy amount of thyme in it. Absolutely delicious.

For $1 more  I had shrimp in pastry. Also served with carrots and broccoli. A generous portion of large shrimp in a course ground dijon mustard sauce. Another great dish, the man knows how to make a great sauce.

For dessert she had chocolate mousse with fresh berries, I didn't get any of that but there wasn't any left so i assume she liked it. I had the tiramisu. It was light and fluffy and not too sweet. No lady fingers.

We were there about 1:30 or so, and there were only 2 or 3 other tables occupied. Our server was friendly and professional, we never wanted for anything. Katrina really enjoyed it and I'm sure we'll be back.

We stopped by Bluestem on the way out of Westport but it appeared closed. Probably doing something totally unimportant like prepping for Friday night.  :raz:

Awww Mike! You should have at least stopped and said hello! Back door! And yes we have been prepping! We have been packed for the few months.

Chef Tatsu has always been known for his sauce execution. I need to get back to his PV location! It’s weird; I used to skateboard in the parking lot of the PV location and never knew it was there when I was a kid :shock: He is a prime example that if you serve good food and treat people well, location doesn’t matter. :wink:

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I've got a few pics of the Tatsu's Cafe and Bar food on the Blog or my Picasa Account.. I plan on going to the pv location as well... I've always had a quick lunch in the bar (PV) but it's been a very long time since I've actually sat down and ate dinner there.

Edited to fix links

Edited by JWest (log)

Awww Mike! You should have at least stopped and said hello! Back door!

Hey, it's one thing asking me to use the back door. . . and maybe even Mike, but I don't think his wife is going to tolerate that kind of treatment. It'll be another year before he gets her north of 119th again. :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Awww Mike! You should have at least stopped and said hello! Back door!

Hey, it's one thing asking me to use the back door. . . and maybe even Mike, but I don't think his wife is going to tolerate that kind of treatment. It'll be another year before he gets her north of 119th again. :wink:

3:47 am and still snarky. Yes, I am working on getting her out of JoCo more often. Tatsu's experience really helped. Applebees just doesn't make sauce that good.

And we'll definately stick our head in the back door at Bluestem next time down.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

3:47 am and still snarky.

Snarky? Moi? I'm hurt.

I'm glad Katrina had a positive experience in the 'hood. Baby steps. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

And we'll definately stick our head in the back door at Bluestem next time down.

And by Bluestem he means Joe's Crab Shack........the greatest seafood value in all the land.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

And by Bluestem he means Joe's Crab Shack........the greatest seafood value in all the land.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

oh you guys, u.e., are you back?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

back where? if you mean in kansas city, yes. but not for long, i'll be heading out next week again for a couple of days. nice to see that things have cooled down here.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 months later...

Just a note, I was at Tatsu's Cafe yesterday for lunch. The prix fixe menu is gone. :shock: It's now a la carte. The choices seem to be the same, but just separated out on the menu. Starters are in the $4-$5 range. Entrees between $8-$12ish and desserts are from $5-$7ish.

There were considerably more diners in than when I was in last - a few months ago.

I posted a short write-up on my blog about the experience.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Just a note, I was at Tatsu's Cafe yesterday for lunch.  The prix fixe menu is gone.  :shock:  It's now a la carte.  The choices seem to be the same, but just separated out on the menu.  Starters are in the $4-$5 range.  Entrees between $8-$12ish and desserts are from $5-$7ish. 

There were considerably more diners in than when I was in last - a few months ago.

I posted a short write-up on my blog about the experience.

:hmmm: no more prix fixe, eh? Well, the prices still seem to be great for what it is. I'll have to check out the new menu style when I get a chance.