• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upstate New York Dining ?

GordonCooks

• 4 years later...

My husband, son and I are traveling to Old Forge in a couple of weeks. The main point of the trip is a Boy Scouts alumni event, but I'm hoping to eat well too. Or, at least avoid eating badly. Any recommendations for the area? I'm hoping to find good diner food, and maybe a nicer sit down place. Any feedback would be welcome. If there are shops, farms, or other food destinations that shouldn't be missed, too, I'd appreciate any tips.

My husband, son and I are traveling to Old Forge in a couple of weeks. The main point of the trip is a Boy Scouts alumni event, but I'm hoping to eat well too. Or, at least avoid eating badly. Any recommendations for the area? I'm hoping to find good diner food, and maybe a nicer sit down place. Any feedback would be welcome. If there are shops, farms, or other food destinations that shouldn't be missed, too, I'd appreciate any tips.

No food recommendations, but don't miss the hardware store, which has more than just hardware. I've easily spent hours browsing.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

This is not near Old Forge, but depending on your route to get there, you might pass through Lake George and stop off at one of the last orange-roofed Howard Johnson's around. I'm hoping to make a pilgramage there to revisit my childhood with a clam roll and ice cream when I'm in northern NY later this month.  It closed in 2012 but reopened in Jan 2015.  

Not fabulous food but it will be a trip down memory lane for me!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Last night, I went to Anthony's Restaurant in Plattsburgh, NY for the 3rd time this week.  Excellent food, wine and service each time. 

Both of us started with a seared foie gras appetizer special.  Apologies for the poor photos, they really don't do the food justice.

IMG_0014.thumb.jpg.5cb1affee47023d1054ab866e34f32b2.jpg

The foie gras was served on toast with mango chutney, pea shoots and a roasted plum.  The pea shoots and flower garnish are from their on-site garden.

I followed that with the Sauteed Sea Scallops & Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille

IMG_0015.thumb.jpg.f78d8529adcd9c18ea937ea62a186ea6.jpg

It was served with linguine & roasted garlic aioli.  

My brother had the Sautéed Shrimp & Sea Scallop Risotto

IMG_0016.thumb.jpg.bbfa65ca386b8cbf3188abad182463bd.jpg

With dinner, we shared a bottle of Soter “North Valley” 2014 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

For dessert, we shared a scoop of the house made ice cream

IMG_0017.thumb.jpg.2568fa8be58019701d01151b985bf5b4.jpg

I think it was called roasted coconut crunch or something like that.  Delicious.  

On my previous visits this week, I had the house salad that was packed with fresh and lightly pickled vegetables from the restaurant's garden, a fabulous soft-shelled crab with sauce Provançal,  the Duck Confit Spring Roll appetizer and the Grilled Salmon with Warm Lobster Salsa.  All were excellent.  The wine list is good, head and shoulders above any other restaurant in this area with plenty of food-friendly selections that are fairly priced.

When we were there on Saturday night, there was a party of 50 in one of the dining rooms and the rest of the place was packed as well with lots of tourists due to the Canada Day holiday but there was no negative impact on the food or service. 

I may be biased as long time chef-owner, Scott Murray grew up just a few doors down the street from my family but I've eaten here many times and have never found anything I could complain about.  If anyone happens to be traveling through or near Plattsburgh, NY, I highly recommend Anthony's.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6