• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aperol

cdh

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:07 AM, blue_dolphin said:

If bourbon is your favorite, the Paper Plane is delicious (though it does call for Amaro Nonino, which is not super common and a little expensive but worth looking for)

If you have a favorite Campari cocktail, maybe a Negroni, you can try substituting Aperol or using a 1:1 mix of Aperol and Campari.

If Amaro Nonino is not readily available then Ramazotti, as noted in the notes on Kindred Cocktail page, can make an interesting substitution. Not that Ramazotti is necessarily a household bottle for most people either, but it may be a bit more available and a bit less expensive than Nonino.

Both are certainly worth having!.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

On September 17, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Craig E said:

Report back with your impressions!

Finally got around to trying the "Intro" (didn't have any oranges!).  Because I love gin, I tried this one first.

it was very good!  Tomorrow I'll try another of the variations.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of the better uses of Aperol in my opinion, the Rope Burn (Allan Katz) with Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, Bonal gentiane-quina, Aperol. I didn't have a grapefruit on hand for the peel garnish, so I used a few drops of BDW grapefruit bitters.

Rope Burn (Allan Katz) with Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, Bonal gentiane-quina, Aperol

But you know what, I also tried it with Amaro CioCiaro, and I think I liked that version a bit better! :)

• Like 2

We had a drink we liked very much last week: equal parts gin, Aperol, cointreau and lemon juice, plus a dash or a few drops of Absinthe. The friend who made it got the recipe from someone and didn't have a name for it. I think it is similar to a Corpse Reviver 2, in which Lillet is used in place of Aperol. Does anyone know the name for this drink?

• 1 year later...

I appreciate that this thread has been dormant for a while but as Aperol has become an essential ingredient for us of late I thought I would mention the Aperol Spritz again, a very easy to make cocktail available easily in France and England in the many recently opened cocktail bars (using that title in a wider sense than might be the norm elsewhere - these are often existing bars looking to attract new customers with special priced cocktails at early evening hours).  I’m all but certain that I first found the recipe on eGullet, if not it would have been via Robert Hess:

Aperol Spritz per person

60ml Champagne (sure it will also be good with other dry white that sparkles)

50ml soda water

40ml Aperol

Served over ice in a long glass.  We often double the wine for a longer drink at home.  

During our last Paris trip we noted that several bars were substituting other drinks in place of Aperol, no doubt to vary menus while keeping drinks relatively familiar.  We saw Suze as a frequent offer, a Suze Spritz being as above but (I know it’s obvious) with Suze instead of Aperol.  A bottle of Suze was acquired to give this a try.  We had already found that we don’t like Suze on its own but then wouldn’t drink Aperol on its own either.  Result? To us, not nice.  I will be reading around for other ideas to use up the rest of the bottle.

Love the Aperol spritz; I don't think any substitutions could make it better! Following guidance I think I saw in the NY Times, I like a garnish of orange wedge and green olive, which initially seemed absurd but works great!

Edited by Craig E
wedge not slice (log)
  • Like 1

I also love an Aperol spritz - such a great warm weather sipper!  I will have to try @Craig E's suggestion and add an olive to my usual garnish, which is an orange wedge that I squeeze into the drink. I can imagine it would add just a bit of salt balance to the mix. 

1 hour ago, DianaB said:

A bottle of Suze was acquired to give this a try.  We had already found that we don’t like Suze on its own but then wouldn’t drink Aperol on its own either.  Result? To us, not nice.  I will be reading around for other ideas to use up the rest of the bottle.

I suspect you've already found the thread on Suze and other gentian liqueurs. I've been using Salers for White Negronis and the like.  Just recently acquired a bottle of Suze.  I'll have to try both of them in a spritz and see what I think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also love an Aperol spritz - such a great warm weather sipper!  I will have to try @Craig E's suggestion and add an olive to my usual garnish, which is an orange wedge that I squeeze into the drink. I can imagine it would add just a bit of salt balance to the mix. 

I suspect you've already found the thread on Suze and other gentian liqueurs. I've been using Salers for White Negronis and the like.  Just recently acquired a bottle of Suze.  I'll have to try both of them in a spritz and see what I think. 

Hope you enjoy the Suze version more than we did!  Off in search of alternatives for the rest of our bottle.  Very inexpensive in Europe so have ended up with a lot to play with... Thanks @blue_dolphin for the direct link.

I've not purchased Suze but I was gifted a bottle of Amer Sauvage which I've used in a couple of Suze recipes. My faves have been the Brown Bomber mentioned in that Suze thread, and The Smartest Man Alive

My impression is that the Amer Sauvage is even more bitter than Suze. At any rate, it is nigh unbearable sipped straight. And even mixed into cocktails like the above, my first sip usually says "oh no, I can't handle this." But it quickly switches to drinkable and then even compelling with further sips. 

• Like 2

That experience (harsh even distasteful first sip, but surprisingly appealing by the end) was borne out by tonight's experiment, the Paper Trail by Colin Shearn. 

• 1 1/2 oz Bourbon
  • 1 oz Aperol
  • 3/4 oz Salers Gentiane (Bittermens Amer Sauvage)
  • Grapefruit twist

Thanks for the inspiration!

papertrail 1.png

Edited by Craig E
typo (log)
  • Like 1