• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

formatting

I haven’t had much luck with Aperol cocktails in general. At best I find them ok but not exactly unforgettable, except for a few exceptions (such as the Paper Plane which I would order again gladly). But many times I found them actually unpleasant. It seems that certain combinations tend to bring out the sweetness and candy-like flavor of Aperol. I think that part of the problem is that I am infatuated with Campari so I cannot help but compare them.

But I keep trying*. The other night I was in the mood for Suze and tried the Paper Trail with bourbon, Suze (my substitution – the original calls for Salers), Aperol. On paper it sounded sweet and indeed it was too sweet. I did not have a twist so that was another issue. I added a couple of drops of grapefruit bitters and it became passable. At least it was pretty.

9974511333_999af1e8fe_z.jpg

*Ok, I admit it. This is mainly an attempt to streamline my liquor cabinet! I am not sure I will restock this one when it’s finally gone.

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

I haven’t had much luck with Aperol cocktails in general. At best I find them ok but not exactly unforgettable, except for a few exceptions (such as the Paper Plane which I would order again gladly). But many times I found them actually unpleasant. It seems that certain combinations tend to bring out the sweetness and candy-like flavor of Aperol. I think that part of the problem is that I am infatuated with Campari so I cannot help but compare them.

But I keep trying*. The other night I was in the mood for Suze and tried the Paper Trail with bourbon, Suze (my substitution – the original calls for Salers), Aperol. On paper it sounded sweet and indeed it was too sweet. I did not have a twist so that was another issue. I added a couple of drops of grapefruit bitters and it became passable. At least it was pretty.

9974511333_999af1e8fe_z.jpg

*Ok, I admit it. This is mainly an attempt to streamline my liquor cabinet! I am not sure I will restock this one when it’s finally gone.