• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What will you ONLY eat at home

Re: tuna salad

Take a giant can dophin free tuna dump entire contents into large mixing bowl.

Add celery onion...etc

Add enough breadcrumbs to make stiff paste

then add mayonaisse and pepper it sure dont need salt

how do you make a 15lb meatloaf out of 5 lbs of meat?

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I don't know what else can go IN a tuna salad, but I do have awful memories of coming in to work at a deli in college on Friday mornings and wondering if the tuna I was unwrapping was the same tuna I had wrapped and put away on Monday afternoon. I always threw almost everything away from the fridge when I came in on Friday because the food was stored in saran-wrapped open bowls, and it sat out in open bowls all day and we were actually told not to discard anything but let the bowl empty.

I got yelled at every time I mass-dumped stuff, but it really should have been replaced every day since it was meat and produce, mostly. Not to mention that it sat out all day before being re-wrapped and put in a fridge. Ich!

Just remembering back grosses me out. There was only one kind of sandwich I would eat, which was made fresh everyday (including the bread-foccaccia baked overnight, the meat and cheese freshly sliced, and the pesto sauce fresh made). The rest were fresh made to order, but I was never totally sure about the ingredients. I think the things we went through a lot of, like bread, tomatoes, mayo, mustard, etc. were pretty safe, but other than that I couldn't say. My roommate had similar tales of nastiness from the frozen yogurt place.

I never order anything like tuna salad or chicken salad when I'm out because it's so easy to make at home...I didn't know there were horror stories associated with these items! :unsure:

I almost never order salad (even if it comes with blue cheese or something other little extra), unless it's a Caesar salad they do table-side. But even then, I'd probably skip the Caesar and choose a more interesting appetizer.

I almost never order chicken--in fact, I think I've only ordered chicken once in a restaurant in the past...oh, 7 years? And that's because my boyfriend said the restaurant did really great roast chicken. He was right--I think they spatch-cocked it and weighted it under a brick or another pan. The skin was really crispy, and the potato puree was deliciously smooth, and not gloopy in the least. But unless a restaurant is known for a particular chicken dish, I'll stay away and go for something I don't always do at home as often, like veal, sweetbreads, venison, beef cheeks, lamb, or squab.

Also, I don't order dessert at a restaurant unless I'm pretty sure they do a good job with them.

I don't like to order burgers at most places anymore because I don't like them burnt. If the quality of the meat dictates cooking it to death, then why would I eat it in the first place?

Strangely, I don't order lasagna out anymore. Although its kind of a pain to make at home, I have never had a good lasagna out, even at better italian places. I suppose I'm spoiled from Mom's lasagna. <drool>

Anything Italian. I am a native New Yorker living in Kansas, and learned to cook Italian from my Stepfather, whose parents were from the Marches.

Why go pay to eat "Eye-Talian" food when I can make much better at home.

Now, If I'm in Chicago or St. Louis, that's another story.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I don't order mussels anymore. I'm so afraid that they weren't cleaned or stored properly that I get a little queasy even when there is nothing wrong with them.

I don't go out anywhere near as much as I would like because like most of you, I feel that I can make it better at home. Sometimes I wish that wasn't true so that I could enjoy eating out more.

Anything Italian. I am a native New Yorker living in Kansas, and learned to cook Italian from my Stepfather, whose parents were from the Marches.

Why go pay to eat "Eye-Talian" food when I can make much better at home.

Now, If I'm in Chicago or St. Louis, that's another story.

Italian food, the prices in the restaurants are so ridiculous. I had a friend, who is of Italian descent who taught me years ago to cook italian food and I haven't looked back since.