• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What will you ONLY eat at home

The what won't you make at home thread inspired this.

What are foods you will only make/eat at home?.

For me it's whole lobster.

I love lobster- IMHO the best way to eat it is simply steamed. No seasoning, no butter. Just pure red shelled happiness. I like the tamale, I know where every piece of ediable goodness is on them and I will dig them all out- it can be messy and I like to take my time so it is best had at home.

Tuna salad, chicken salad, meatballs, meatloaf....getting a theme here?

I have made all these items professionally :hmmm: and thats all I'm saying

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I almost never order chicken or turkey at a restaurant, because like many another frugal/tightwad eater, I go through a ton of the stuff at home, and so it doesn't really feel "special" anymore. Exception: I will order chicken if I'm doing "utility dining" rather than special-occasion dining--especially in places where it looks like the chicken is the only thing on the menu that I don't think they can screw up. :rolleyes:

I have made all these items professionally :hmmm:  and thats all I'm saying

tracey

Yech, I'm totally freaked out by those too...too many unknowns ground up and mixed in. Hate kinda feeling around in my mouth after taking a bite. I have a huge aversion to gristley things, if I bite into something on a piece of chicken I gag. I'll sometimes get tuna salad at Whole Foods, it's pretty safe. I'm pretty sensitive to food bacteria, I think, and if something with mayo hasn't been properly chilled, I'll know it. :wacko:

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

tracey

Yikes, I too have made these things while working at a summer time Sub Shop.. I wouldnt eat tuna salad if you paid me..

Edited by Daniel (log)

My husband often buys tuna sandwiches. I just don't get it. It's so easy to make at home...well, for most people. One day when I wasn't home he went over to the convenience store to buy one when we had all the ingredients at home. The same goes for spaghetti or anything else cheap and easy to make at home. Most restaurant spaghetti tastes odd to me anyway.

I'd rather eat ribs at home than in a restaurant because it's hard to enjoy them when you can't get messy.

I can't imagine going out for a steak, burger, ribs or smoked meat. I can do better at home. Tuna salad? Geez. Peter (age 10) has that one nailed. And, why go out for breakfast when I can make better sausage or bacon than anyone else can serve me?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I can't imagine going out for a steak, burger, ribs or smoked meat.  I can do better at home.

that may be, but the question is do you always have the time to make ribs or pulled pork sandwiches? i'm guessing not. the same holds true for most people - the time (and money) element of making pulled pork makes it too bothersome for most people. plus, what about spur of the moment hankerings? i don't think that far in advance to say "i want to have bbq on thursday, so i better spend my entire sunday making it in advance." nope, i'll just pick it up on the way home (or get it for lunch). then there's the money issue - if i just want a sandwich or two, it seems more reasonable to just pick up a sandwich somewhere.

Definitely chicken salad. No can do. If I were on Fear Factor and one of the challenges meant having to partake of chicken salad that had not been prepared by Yours Truly, I would have to walk away from the $50k right then and there.

tracey

Yikes, I too have made these things while working at a summer time Sub Shop.. I wouldnt eat tuna salad if you paid me..

:huh: Why, what's in tuna salad? I understand what could possibly end up in chicken salad because that's hand picked chicken, but the tuna comes from a can. What else do they put in there? :unsure:

tracey

:huh: Why, what's in tuna salad? I understand what could possibly end up in chicken salad because that's hand picked chicken, but the tuna comes from a can. What else do they put in there? :unsure:

I don't think I personally want to know the answer to this one! I've not been able to eat fish since the detailed discussion and pictures related to seafood parasites posted here.... I think for me being totally ignorant is the best thing!!! :shock:

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Soup! Because I have to have it burning your lips hot, and you can never,ever get it that hot when dining out. And I hear you on the tuna/chicken salad thing. I have to know what's in it if I didn't make it my own self. :unsure:

---------------------------------------

Ditto on lobster, although I like to cook it in a variety of ways. And for the most part steak.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Ditto on the Carbonara - hardly anywhere makes it right (cream, mushrooms and god knows what else) and anywhere that does make it right probably has something more exciting on the menu that I can't do well at home.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I am with y'all with the chicken and tuna salads... although, I would still like to know, like Sugarella, what else can end up in tuna salad.

Other than that, all forms of steak - with the exception of filet mignon, spaghetti as well as any bolognese sauce pasta - I have never had a sauce with enough flavour...

Seems simple, but tomato sandwiches too.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Ditto on the bolognese. Mine is so much better than just about any restaurant's that I would feel like an idiot paying money for it.

Also, I've lately become this way about shrimp as well. At home, I can have as many of the little buggers as I want, for a fraction of the price. In a restaurant, the portion is always stupidly small (FOUR shrimp on a salad for $12?! Thank you, but no) and you also run the risk they will be overcooked. At home, I can eat as much as I want, cook them the way I like them, and really enjoy them.

I'm one of those few souls who will eat chicken and tuna salads outside the home, but I am very particular about where.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Unless I am at a deli or sandwich shop, I won't order a sandwich made with deli meat. But since I typically don't roast a whole turkey for just the two of us at home, I will order a sandwich in a restaurant made from real roasted turkey.

I won't order an egg salad sandwich as I much prefer my own. And unless I am at a nice restaurant, I won't order rice pilaf when it is offered as a choice for a side dish. I guess that's from too much love for mashed potatoes combined with too many bland, disappointing rice pilafs.

I usually don't order cooked lobster in a restaurant unless the restaurant is at a lobster pound. I will, however, let my local fish market steam them for me so I can bring them home to eat.

Edited by TPO (log)

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry