• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You DON'T make this at home . .

sorry marlene <hangs head in shame>.  how much is a quick trip up to canada these days?  i can be your kitchen helper... for rack of lamb.  i am a good dishwasher...

:biggrin: No problem. It can't be all that expensive can it? Hmmm, maybe I need to look for or start a rack of lamb topic. It's been ages since I've made it.

i'm doing lamb burgers tomorrow if you can make it......

end of july johnnybird is gone, i'm painting our bedroom and i can grill some lamb.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Pork since the rest of my family will not touch it. Many Asian dishes even though I make a lot of them at home they sometimes are hard to replicate exactly. There are many more like deep fried foods. I tend not to go out to eat much since I find I usually enjoy the results of my labor more.

Count me as another one that orders fried foods out. Also ice cream - we don't have the machinery, electrical outlets, space, or patience to make it at home. Other than that, really time consuming dishes - braised short ribs or smoked meats for example.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Fried foods? Check.

Lamb? Check. (Although lamb is something I REALLY want to make at home, the offerings at the local grocery store are, well, pathetic. I need to find a decent butcher...)

For me, although I love salmon and eat it at home once every week or two, its invariably the fish I get when we go out for seafood. It just tastes so much better when its cooked right, and I haven't figured out how to do it yet. So it kinda counts as "I don't make it at home."

My arrogant "I can make anything" self tried to make the Koreanized Chinese dish JjajangMyeon (Noodles in Black Bean Sauce) at home Friday night. 

Hee hee. I can relate to this attitude. Generally I can pull it off but I've been consistently stumped by what appeared for all the world to be a straightforward preparation of salmon in a hot pot that is my husband's absolute favorite thing at our favorite Vietnamese restaurant. Try as I might, I'm stumped. I think I might need a clay crock or something. That's one thing I *always* order out, now... still trying to analyze what I'm doing wrong.

Pizza, subs, pitas, naan, french fries -- all those I can make better at home (with an awful lot of trial, error, and just plain practice.) I never buy bread in a store, or pasta (except for tube-type pastas.) But the elusive salmon, along with sushi (no access to sushi-grade seafood,) and, of all things, fried mushrooms (I know, I know...) serve to keep me at least somewhat humbled.

Great. Now I'm craving that salmon...