• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Things Blueberry

Suvir Saran

• 3 weeks later...

i just picked up some blueberries at a local farm yesterday and now i'm anxious to make some muffins, anyone have a really good recipe? last time i made them, they turned out so-so, thanks! :biggrin:

i just picked up some blueberries at a local farm yesterday and now i'm anxious to make some muffins, anyone have a really good recipe?  last time i made them, they turned out so-so, thanks! :biggrin:

I love the recipe in Bakers Companion. They are almost more cake than muffin though. Absolutely delish.

-Becca

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I haven't tried this yet, but I just made the honey-blueberry cake from Emily Luchetti's Four Star Desserts, and after I baked it, it seemed to me that it would be good baked as muffins.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

This one for Lemon Blueberry Muffins from Food Network is my current favourite.

Inspired by this thread, and the fact that blueberries were on special offer at my supermarket, I made these last night, and I have to say, kind of disappointing. Sorry, middydd. Not lemony enough, too sweet, and the stub was soggy (top nice + crispy though). I will have to keep trying!

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I am not much of a baker, but I like Donna Hay's Sour cream blueberry muffins. Last time I made them, eons ago, I used some Lemon Myrtle. They were fabulous.

I love blueberry muffins, but I reserve my deepest love for corn muffins; so much so that during blueberry season I either make blueberry corn muffins by just adding blueberries to the batter, or I make plain corn muffins and eat them, buttered, with some homemade blueberry compote or jam served alongside. I just can't think of any better way to enjoy a muffin.

Try Cook's Illustrated's recipes for blueberry muffins and blueberry buckle. Both are very good with the buckle recipe being the better of the two. We made the muffins on sunday morning with some store-bought blueberries. We picked blueberries on sunday afternoon and made the CI blueberry buckle recipe for breakfast on Monday. It's fabulous!

I always use this one, but I don't remember where I got it:

1/2 c oats

1/2 c orange juice

1 t orange zest

1/2 c oil

2 eggs beaten

1 1/2 c flour

1/2 c sugar

2 t baking powder

1/2 t slat

1/4 t baking soda

1 1/2 c blueberries

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes

Try Cook's Illustrated's recipes for blueberry muffins and blueberry buckle.  Both are very good with the buckle recipe being the better of the two.  We made the muffins on sunday morning with some store-bought blueberries.  We picked blueberries on sunday afternoon and made the CI blueberry buckle recipe for breakfast on Monday.  It's fabulous!

Ditto to the recommendation re the Cooks Illustrated Recipes. Last year I enter the C.I. blueberry muffins---using the lemon sugar topping variation----and won 1st at the California State Fair.

I tried the buckle from a recent addition and agree that it was fabulous.

My favorite blueberry muffin is from a very old issue of Glamour magazine. The authors mother got the recipe from the old Jordan Marsh department store cafe. I cant find my copy, but I wrote to glamour today and they are mailing me a copy. I asked them to email, but they cant.( never heard that before).

Ill post it when I get it.

Can someone post the Cooks Illustrated recipes please? I'd like to try them. They can be posted if you adapt the recipe and put it into your own words.

P.S. Please enter your best recipes in RecipeGullet. Then link it back into your post in thread.

Thanks........

Can someone post the Cooks Illustrated recipes please? I'd like to try them. They can be posted if you adapt the recipe and put it into your own words.

P.S. Please enter your best recipes in RecipeGullet. Then link it back into your post in thread.

Thanks........

Here you go Wendy, I posted it for you on recipe gullet. I had been making them for a long time but find the recipe from Austrailian Women's Weekly ( I posted a link above in my first response) is actually a little better. If you have time, maybe you can try those too. Be sure to let me know what you think if you do try both.

Thanks........

I posted the CI Blueberry Buckle recipe in the Recipe Gullet.

This one for Lemon Blueberry Muffins from Food Network is my current favourite.

Inspired by this thread, and the fact that blueberries were on special offer at my supermarket, I made these last night, and I have to say, kind of disappointing. Sorry, middydd. Not lemony enough, too sweet, and the stub was soggy (top nice + crispy though). I will have to keep trying!

Ahhhh!!! I'm so disappointed to hear these didn't work for you. It's amazing how a recipe works well for one baker and not another, I've never had them turn out soggy, more a little on the dry side even.

Try Cook's Illustrated's recipes for blueberry muffins and blueberry buckle.  Both are very good with the buckle recipe being the better of the two.  We made the muffins on sunday morning with some store-bought blueberries.  We picked blueberries on sunday afternoon and made the CI blueberry buckle recipe for breakfast on Monday.  It's fabulous!

I recommend CI's blueberry muffins also. I got it out of the Baking Illustrated book a few months ago and have received major raves with it. They're definitely the best blueberry muffins I've ever made or eaten!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I recommend CI's blueberry muffins also.  I got it out of the Baking Illustrated book a few months ago and have received major raves with it.  They're definitely the best blueberry muffins I've ever made or eaten!

I agree... the CI recipe rocks! I made them yesterday but opted for tossing in a bunch of spices in lieu of making a special trip to the store for blueberries. Excellent muffins with just the texture I'd been looking for.

Di

I dug thru my recipes and found it!! Yay.

Anyway, I love these. This is from an article in Glamour mag( 1993)

Author: Jany Kirby RD

2 cups flour

2 tsp powder

1/2tsp salt

1/2 cup butter( softened)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/3 cup milk

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Oven to 450.

combine dry ingredients in bowl, set aside. cream butter, sugar till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. add flour and milk, mix until well blended. stir in blueberries. sprinkle tops with sugar. bake 5 min, reduce heat to 375, make 30-35min. makes 12 medium or 8 jumbo.

I've also made these in mini loaf pans. So good. Rich and buttery.

Enjoy.