• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ariel

I saw a new place on my way home from work this evening. Ariel, in the old location of Les Caprices de Nicolas. Anyone know when it opened? Or eaten there? What's the word?

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Well, to answer my own question. They are open.

Les Caprices de Nicolas website is still functional and the phone number listed there goes to Ariel.

Always wanted to try Les Caprices de Nicolas, now it's too late, but I am going to Ariel!

Ok, so I went! No, ariel i not a Jun I competitor.

The chef and sous-shef are japanese but the food is french inspired. With a few asiatic twists. The japanese input is more on the estetics and presentation.

Hardly anyone there and I set at the bar where "Karen" served up an excellent Mojito.

This was a quick off-the-cuff sampler visit so I elected to just have the "Tartare de Boef Asiatique". Coarsely shopped beef served with "egg confit" (a barely coagulated egg yolk) and sweet potato chips.

I was first servced a small amuse-bouch a filo parcel with a lamb ragou.... very tasty

Les caprice used to be a fine dining (french) resto and they are now trying to reposition to a more informal space as ariel. Same owner. A small menu with 7 appetizers and 6 mains. Very simple minimalistic format. No table d'hot or tasting menu.

The logo presentation is:

Ariel

Bar à vin | Cuisine local

They opend last Saturday and I would say they are still quite tentative in their new format.

Certainly worth a repeat with company.

• 10 months later...

I went on friday night with my beau...Nice decore...warm...a bit of a windy room...there is even an indoor courtyard that has been dressed up to mimik a quaint european street complete with a clothes line with starched clothes hanging!! Very cute and perfect for an "outdoor" meal in the middle of winter!

We only had oysters and champagne at the bar, as my mission was only to get a feel for the place, however the staff was very hospitable, and helpful.. We took a look at the menu and were excited to return to try some of their dishes..

Hope this was helpful