• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cantina Los Caballitos

KatieLoeb

Philadining, Dining Companion Chuck and I had the rare pleasure of being invited guests at tonight's soft opening of Cantina El Caballito, a new Mexican gastropub at 1651 East Passyunk Avenue between Tasker and Morris Streets. This great addition to the Philly dining scene is brought to us by the fine folks that own Royal Tavern and the Khyber Pass. Imagine a gastropub like Standard Tap or Royal Tavern that was in Mexico and you'll have a good idea of what has been accomplished at Cantina El Caballito. A great neighborhood place for a drink of your choice and a nice meal. Just perfect. A very cool concept that is extremely well executed.

The room is warm and inviting, with cool architechtural details that include lots of perforated tin shades over the wall sconces, lots of candlelight and small hints of exposed brick that show under archways in the bar, and through several "windows" in the dining room. Comfortable booths line the wall on the far side of the room. The bar has an astounding tequila selection (try the El Tesoro de Don Felipe Reposado for sipping after dinner), and some really interesting and creative drinks that feature both the abundant tequila selection and some creative use of juices and agua frescas in the cocktails. The favorite of the evening was the Bicicleta which contained a hibiscus agua fresca that gave the drink a most refreshing flavor and beautiful color. Fantastic summer drink. A close second was the Cadillac which was a guava based margarita. Tambien un refresco muy bueno!

Chef Miguel Aguilar (formerly of Alma de Cuba and Valanni) creates cuisine that isn't quite as down and dirty as La Lupe or Veracruzana's, but isn't as fusionesque or high falutin' as Lolita's either. It walks the fine line between authenticity and "utility", with appetizers like perfectly crunchy beef empanadas that miraculously are still perfectly textured even once they cool down, a delicious quesadilla served with cilantro creme, and crispy flautas. Entrees include a chicken with mole sauce that is perfectly spiced, a banana leaf wrapped snapper with Mole Verde and cilantro rice that was everyone's favorite dish of the evening, vaca frita tender fried skirt steak, and a pork and bean soft tortilla wrap that was earthy and delicious. We also tried the chile-chocolate mousse dessert and the Platanos Machos which were sweet ripe plantains with a very delicious custard-like sauce. Everything was well prepared and delicious. Service was friendly and well informed, and our waitress Danielle was extremely helpful with suggestions.

I'd like to wish the management and staff the best of luck when they open to the public later this week on Wednesday 5/31. But I don't think they'll need it. They've got the formula down and they've hired a great staff. This one's going to be a winner for sure.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll concur with Katie, the Cantina is going to be a great place: good vibe, friendly people, and most importantly, delicious food. Oh yeah, and very tasty margarita-ish cocktails too...

This was a get-the-kinks-out, soft open, so I'm not going to get nit-picky about anything, but I can honestly say there was very little that seemed to need tweaking, we really enjoyed everything we had.

gallery_23992_2987_25094.jpg

Guacamole

gallery_23992_2987_3.jpg

Empanadas (these were especially good...)

gallery_23992_2987_13416.jpg

Flautas

gallery_23992_2987_22087.jpg

Snapper with Mole Verde (outstanding)

gallery_23992_2987_18193.jpg

Chicken with Mole Negro

gallery_23992_2987_28714.jpg

Tinga Poblano

gallery_23992_2987_62924.jpg

Vaca Frita

gallery_23992_2987_35860.jpg

"Macho" Plantanos (outrageously good)

gallery_23992_2987_2121.jpg

A Chocolate Mousse-ish thing with a hint of chile....

The food really was all good, and I'm eager to go back. More reports, with more specific critiques after they open for real, but this preview bodes well. It's good food, a cool place, and fills a niche I didn't even know needed filling: simple, but slightly haute Mexican food, with good drinks. But you know, it does need filling. And I think these folks are just the ones for the job....

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

when is the regular opening,those drinks sound great.

katie let me know if you go on a tuesday again

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

when is the regular opening,those drinks sound great.

katie let me know if you go on a  tuesday again

Opening to the public today - May 31, 2006.

Greg - I'd be happy to go with you any Tuesday night I'm not working. I want to go back and try some more of those yummy drinks! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Went last night, and I agree with Katie. All the food was very good. Sampled the Empanadas, Flautas, a salad with grilled cactus, the Vaca Frita, the Snapper, and the Chili Chocolate mousse. The mole verde on the Snapper was the highlight for me.

The drinks were great as well, including watermelon, blood orange, pomegrante, and raspberry margaritas.

Service was friendly and effecient, and everything went very smooth for a week old restaurant. Place was almost full when we left around 8:30.

I highly recommend getting over there to try Miguel's tasty menu.

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

Hopefully the Cantina staff isn't tired of my face yet. :unsure: I've been over there several times since opening night and have had a wonderful time each and every visit. The food is just delicious and the staff couldn't be nicer. I've taken several friends for their inaugural visit and everyone loves it. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Does anyone know if they take reservations?

They do not. I just spoke to Andy the bar manager and he said it's all on a first come first served basis.

FWIW I've never been in there when it was so packed there was a line out the door or anything, but I tend not to go out at peak times on Friday and Saturday nights because I work in the business and I know better. Weeknights are pretty good for strolling right in and sitting down at the bar for a drink and a bite to eat.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hiked down to the Cantina last night for dinner. We are big fans and fairly regular diners of the Royal Tavern, so I think we expected a lot.

The margaritas, guac and salsas (fiesta) were really excellent. Slow service we should be used to from going to the Royal, but it was really slow service. Pleasant, though. I don't know if it was a function of the actual servers being slow or new, or the kitchen and bar being overwhelmed. As we were waiting for our pitcher of margaritas, I decided that it would have been much easier to sit there and wait for our margaritas if we had margaritas while we were waiting. :biggrin:

Apps came out first, followed by drinks, followed by a long wait for entrees. Next time we go back, I think we'll try more of the apps and salads, the entrees were tasty, but not spectacular as we expected from the quality of food at the Royal. I thought the mole was a little thin and was a little underwhelmed by the other entrees. Maybe over time they will bring on a few "specials" each evening? I'd go back to try those.

I liked the feel of the place, the tables along the street, and mismatched chairs, it definitely gave it a lived in, less "brand new" atmosphere. The mismatched glasses and silverware were a fun touch, but the fact that a few of us ended up with tiny dessert forks instead of dinner forks seemed odd.

Now, if they could move the place a few blocks closer to my apartment, I would settle in as a bar regular. A few margaritas, some guac and maybe some of those beef empanadas that everyone mentioned over a long evening would be ideal. If they could keep my glass full, I would never care how long the food took.

Edited by urbanfabric (log)

gallery_23992_2987_53052.jpg

Another visit to "the Cantina..."

gallery_23992_2987_3650.jpg

Empanadas might not have had as much (chicken) filling as the first time, but they were still moist and flavorful inside, light and tender and crusty outside. I'm getting these every time.

gallery_23992_2987_14187.jpg

Quesadillas had good cheese, tasty salsa, and were fresh and crisp. What more do you want from a quesadilla?

gallery_23992_2987_62182.jpg

Tacos de Tinga, served with nice fresh warm, soft tortillas

gallery_23992_2987_25417.jpg

These might have been even better than the first time we had them, the shredded pork was very juicy and assertively spiced.

The only bad thing I can say is that the menu's feeling a little small to me. That's not such a terrible thing if everything's good, which has been true for me so far, but still...

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

When I read the tag line of this thread I was excited since I just returned from

a 2 week business trip to Santa Fe. Upon reading the thread you meant "new Mexican" rather than "New Mexican".

This place looks great and thank you for both the heads up and the photos.

But now I need to ask: does anyone know a place in the area that dishes up New Mexican food?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

But now I need to ask: does anyone know a place in the area that dishes up New Mexican food?

I had a friend from Las Cruces who was working here. Her comment about her local cuisine (?) reminded me of my youth in Utah.

They eat a lot of Jello. I think UT is Jello's per capita capital.

So what is New Mexican food?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I had a friend from Las Cruces who was working here. Her comment about her local cuisine (?) reminded me of my youth in Utah.

I know from a previous trip to Salt Lake City that Utah has the largest per capita consumption of ice cream in the world. And I'll bet they lead in orange soda consumption too.

Lotsa green chiles in New Mexican cuisine, if I recall correctly.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I know from a previous trip to Salt Lake City that Utah has the largest per capita consumption of ice cream in the world. And I'll bet they lead in orange soda consumption too.

Lotsa green chiles in New Mexican cuisine, if I recall correctly.

Yes green or red is the question waitresses ask.

Would you guys like the photos from my treo of the grub I downed in Santa Fe?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

We were in the neighborhood this evening and decided to stop by the Cantina. Not all that hungry, we decided to focus on drinking and just eat a little bit; that meant margaritas and nachos. The margaritas were excellent, both in frozen and on-the-rocks versions: not too sweet, nice tequila flavor.

The nachos were pretty good; they'd have been better if they'd been hotter. You know how as they cool, nachos congeal into a solid mass of cheese and beans and chips and stuff? These were well on their way to congealing when they got to the table; not enough time for two of us to polish them off before the core temperature had dropped.

Still, it's a neat place, and the drinks alone are enough to draw me back for another shot. I'll try something else then...

Andrew, those empanadas are worth another trip for sure. The house salad has corn nuts too! Great crunchy contrast.

And yeah. Those drinks are so good! I was thinking about how perfect they are on a hot humid night like tonight. I might have to go make myself something with tequila now... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

We were in the neighborhood this evening and decided to stop by the Cantina.  Not all that hungry, we decided to focus on drinking and just eat a little bit; that meant margaritas and nachos.  The margaritas were excellent, both in frozen and on-the-rocks versions: not too sweet, nice tequila flavor. 

The nachos were pretty good; they'd have been better if they'd been hotter.  You know how as they cool, nachos congeal into a solid mass of cheese and beans and chips and stuff?  These were well on their way to congealing when they got to the table; not enough time for two of us to polish them off before the core temperature had dropped.

As much as most of the food at Dave and Buster's sucks, they are onto something with how they serve their nachos. Rather than a pile of chips with the toppings on top, they come as a plate of individual chips, each with their own perfect portion of toppings. No chips are left over without toppings, and no toppings are wasted. When I first got them I thought it was silly, since you couldn't control how much of what was on your chip. Now I think it's much more enjoyable to eat nachos with friends when you aren't also competing with them to get the best stuff on your chip, or trying to make sure they get enough of what they like on theirs.

i don't get nachos. they're always a mess. they always break and drip toppings all over and turn into a hassle. they taste fine, but rarely if ever are they more than the sum of their parts. and they fill you up before dinner comes.

there i said it.

Well, the thing about nachos is I usually order them in lieu of dinner. Take yesterday: we'd had a late lunch and weren't into the idea of a full meal; mainly we wanted a drink. And whereas something like empanadas are something you eat pretty quickly, you can kind of pick at nachos for a while while you booze it up. Which is what we did.

As much as most of the food at Dave and Buster's sucks, they are onto something with how they serve their nachos. Rather than a pile of chips with the toppings on top, they come as a plate of individual chips, each with their own perfect portion of toppings. No chips are left over without toppings, and no toppings are wasted.

That's so very... Martha Stewart. Or maybe the Anal-Retentive Chef.

• 7 months later...

Katie and I hit the Cantina the other night, and had a really nice time. Drinks, as usual, quite tasty, and the food was really good as well.

Pork Picadillo Empanadas

gallery_23992_2987_96789.jpg

I really loved the original chicken empanadas that the original chef made, and I might still prefer those by a little, but these are not a bad consolation at all. In fact I'm definitely getting them again next time...

Costillitas

gallery_23992_2987_58961.jpg

I'm not sure these struck me as especially Mexican tasting, the tamarind glaze and pineapple salsa suggested Asia just as readily, but who cares if they're good? And they were. Rib purists might be horrified that the meat was falling off the bone, but it didn't bother me at all, the meat was nice and tender, and the sauce and accompaniments complimented it beautifully.

Mahi Tacos

gallery_23992_2987_97731.jpg

Juicy grilled Mahi Mahi with cilantro and onions on soft tortillas. Simple, excellent.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com