• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods I refuse to eat during hot summer days...

Seollongtang -- Hearty Korean Beef Stock Soup.  That is a definite winter thing.

I look forward to summer because that's when I can eat gobs of my favorite Korean dish -- NaengMyeon.  Buckwheat noodles swimming in a bath of slightly sweet beef stock with radishes and Asian pear and mounds of shaved ice.  Throw in a few squirts of the condimentary (new word) vinegar and Chinese mustard.

When I put the large stainless steel bowl up to my mouth to drink the soup, I can't physically put it down, it's so good.  It's like diving into a chilly spring.

OMG !

I've never HEARD of such a dish, let alone TRIED one..........

I want to ~

is there a recipe or just 'guidelines' as you have supplied ?

Kathy

I look forward to summer because that's when I can eat gobs of my favorite Korean dish -- NaengMyeon.  Buckwheat noodles swimming in a bath of slightly sweet beef stock with radishes and Asian pear and mounds of shaved ice.  Throw in a few squirts of the condimentary (new word) vinegar and Chinese mustard.

When I put the large stainless steel bowl up to my mouth to drink the soup, I can't physically put it down, it's so good.  It's like diving into a chilly spring.

OMG !

I want to ~

Kathy

I have attempted to make it at home, and it's hard to get the noodles just right. As soon as I am successful, I'm posting it on my web site. I am planning on doing a big tribute to Naengmyeon sometime this summer.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Risotto - hot, stodgy (And I don't mean that in a negative way!) and standing over a hot stove stirring? No thanks!

Spicy I have no problem with, though I do tend more towards the zingy southeast asian variety of spicy rather than more warming indian or mexican kind.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

There's not a lot I won't eat in summer, but I do tend to avoid hearty soups, stews, risottos, and braises. Just too heavy when it's 100 degrees with 80% humidity.

And I know that curries are supposed to cool you down in summer, but I have a really hard time eating super-hot curry after about May or so. Mild curries are fine, particularly if they have a nice, sweet, coconut element, but ultra hot just won't do.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Seollongtang -- Hearty Korean Beef Stock Soup.  That is a definite winter thing.

OMG !

I want to ~

Kathy

In case you're curious. I had me a bowl of NaengMyeon delivered tonight. Here's what it looks like.

normal_IMGP2983.JPG

normal_IMGP2987.JPG

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

OMG !

I want to ~

Kathy

naengmyun

Thorough instructions I'd say with tips on how to make it at home and how to get the noodles just right.

edited to add that my MIL learned how to make naengmyun from a relative from Pyongyang who had a restaurant.

Edited by chefzadi (log)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I guess I'm one of the minority. I eat pretty much anything any time of year, without any thought. Sweating doesn't bother me a whole lot.

But, I do try to eat more seasonally in the spring, summer, and fall, when there are things like asparagus, morels, strawberries, peaches, cherries, and tomatoes at their only points of edibility.

But, I have found that the more water I drink, the more tolerable heat is.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I agree with many here who said they don't like thick/creamy soups in the heat. I'll add chili and burritos to that list. Too much density feels bad when the humidity is pressing on you all day (and often night). Chocolate cake, or most types of cake really, are a no-go too.

Thinking back, my favorites of summer: corn on the cob, hotdogs/hamburgs on the grill, ice cream/sorbet, watermelon/honeydew, cherries(!)

I remember my mom used to make great tomato,lettuce and mayo sandwiches on toasted wheat bread. Big wet sweet slices of Tom, and crispcool iceberg lettuce...*sigh*That is the bee's knees.

More recently, back in Toronto I would end up buying an ice blended coffee almost every day in the summer heat. And I ate Korean fairly frequently.

~Radio7

the tall drink of water...

I agree with many here who said they don't like thick/creamy soups in the heat. I'll add chili and burritos to that list. Too much density feels bad when the humidity is pressing on you all day (and often night). Chocolate cake, or most types of cake really, are a no-go too.

1) Some kinds of chili at the peak of tomato season make me crave the stuff even if it's muggy outside. A/C units have changed my seasonal diets now that I'm not just sitting in front of a tiny fan carried to the dining table.

2) Cake? Have to agree with you there, for the most part, though the one exception was tomato-soup cake on picnics for July 4 (haven't had that for years! New England's response to tuna hot dish?).

However, summer means peach and berry pie. Now is the time for Mayham Man's thread to be bumped up again.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I love curries year round. They warm you up in the winter and cool you down, as noted above, in summer! They're the perfect food!

That said, I find most restaurant curries far too rich, and I detest coconut milk curries, so it really comes down to make my own or go without.

I tend to avoid rich &/or greasy foods of any sort during the heat, they just leave me with an unpleasant feeling. (I avoid them for the most part during cooler months too but there are times when I will make exceptions! :raz: )

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I don't like to eat at all really, but one has to and this year I am determined most of my cooking will be out on the grill so that it does not heat up the house. The "real heat" is just beginning here in Oklahoma and I have all but shut down my kitchen, except to prepare grill stuff, of course.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I agree with the person who said cooked food.  Anything raw I can do, but cooked...no go both in restaurants or at home.  When I say cooked, I mean anything cooked, including pasta, rice, bread.  My threshold has to do both both % humidity and temperature.  The extreme of no cooked foods kicks in at high summer DC temp/humidity.  At 80F and 60% humidity, I can still do rice and pasta. Probably why I used to drop 5 pounds over the summer.  I also avoid any hot beverages (duh), including my morning coffee.

Will you eat cold cooked foods? Like, cold chicken? Pasta salad? That's one of my favorite summer things. One of my favorite anytime things, really. :biggrin:

Judging by the inclusion of "bread" in your list, I'm guessing not, but I'm not sure...

No to chicken or pasta salad. Salad yes. I pretty much survived during the day on cold vegetable salads and cold cereal. I did eat, but only after 10pm. Thank goodness that it's been 10 years since i've been in sweltering heat (only gets properly hot for about 3 days in the UK).