• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Budapest

When I was in Budapest last year, I used Fodor's Guides to check out dining options and was fortunate to find some delightful places .. see which appeal to you among those offered ...

I enjoyed Kiskakkuk.

All the classic Hungarian poultry dishes are well done, include goose and duck leg with cabbage, and there are a few refined dishes, too, such as veal medallions in cream sauce and lamb with rosemary. Service is friendly and attentive.

more Budapest options of all sorts .. keep turning the pages for more and more ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked over the Fodor’s list, and knowing who works for Fodors Guides, I am not surprised that it is about as inaccurate as you can possibly get without making a list up. Ignore it completely. The Al-Amir is not on Andrassy, it is on Király utca, and has closed. The Alhambra is not a Moroccan restaurant. The Castro has moved to Madach tér (and I will recommend it for Serb grills and the only legitimate gulyás soup in the downtown area. And cheap.) Use the Time Out Budapest City guide for a better guidebook, and check out Pestiside web blog restaurant listings.

A lot of us old time foreign residents bemoan the state of the Hungarian restaurant scene today. Prices have soared, and pseudo-Germanic fusion cuisine seems to have taken over a lot of new menus: add soy and ginger and call it “Asian Fusion” and charge double. It has become hard to find good old Magyar chow, but it’s out there, mostly in neighborhood places out beyond the train stations.

First, avoid the Gundel. It’s gone down tremendously. Instead, if you want upscale, eat at the neighboring Bagolyvár. Also, do not eat inside the Buda castle. Below the Buda castle at Moszkva tér/Szena tér market are sevral good eateries, such as the Markus etterem and the Szent Jupát. In Downtown Pest, the Fátal is good for basic Hungarian. The Kis Kacsa on Király utca (corner of Kazinczy utca) is another good, simple Magyar eatery. The Kadar Etkezde on Klauzal tér is great for lunch.

The Arányhal, out on Thõkõly ut (Amerikai utca stop on the 7 bus – not the red express 7) is good for fish soup and regular Hungarian food. Also, pay a visit to the market at Bosnyak ter at the end of the 7-bus line. Old Slovak peasant ladies still wear folk costumes while selling vegtables in the back market, where you can buy illicit home-made palinka (plum brandy) on weekends from the stands (look for the clear liquid sold in plastic Pepsi bottles….) You can also get a good fresh langos (fried potato bread) at the stands in the back, but try the “fank” instead – a huge donut, fresh fried and topped with jam. For sausages and such, these things are eaten inside the butcher shop itself, and one on the corner outside of the Bosnyak ter market is exceptional for all things tubular and piggy. Another good market is the Lehel tér market ("piac") on the Blue Metro line. There is a self service resturant on the corner outside the market entrance. (They grill chickens by the entrance.) Try it out. Old fashioned communist workers' factory grub like we had in the old days. Cheap.

Edited by zaelic (log)

• 1 month later...
I am headed to Budapest in August.  Looking for any recommendations--fine dining, street food, fast food, you name it.  What must I have??

Definitely go to Cafe Kor--wonderful for dinner, GREAT food. Go to the market for lunch--upstairs there are some restaurants--delish!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'd like to bump this thread as I am going to Budapest in late Aug. Looking for a few of good bars and a recommendation or two for some good breakfast/lunch places and if there are any can't miss dinner spots.

Thanks

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I can't recommend restaurants anymore, but my family is Hungarian and my mom is an amazing cook so if anyone needs what to try and their recipes - I'm your girl! mmmm

August will be gombocz time (plum dumplings, they do cherry tooo) yum

No idea about bars, but I could recommend Central Kavehaz for casual dining/breakfast/lunch etc. I've been many times and found it quite reliable and it's a really nice room to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon... The food isn't exceptional but choose from the section called "Zonaetelek" which are kind of slightly sanitised versions of traditional regional dishes but good all the same.

For cakes & coffee try Ruszwurm Cafe on the Buda Hill near the Matyas Church - it's absolutely tiny but the cakes are delicious (better than the Gerbaud which is a bit of a tourist trap).

Or you could try the very inexpensive Jegbufe at the end of the Vorosmarty utca - it's a bit bizarre like a relic from a different era, very hectic at times and there is no seating, but the cakes & pastries are very good indeed for the price.

I recently went to Alabardos restaurant for dinner, which was wonderful - lovely setting in a courtyard (if it's a warm/dry evening) and the food was excellent - some of the best I've had in Budapest. The sommelier recommended some outstanding wines by the glass. It's at the higher end (about £50 per person for three courses inc wine) but well worth it.

Definitely avoid the Gundel at all costs - the food is utterly appalling and incredibly expensive - one of the worst dining experiences of my life.

Next on my list to visit were Nancsi Neni and Bock Bisztro which was full up last time I tried to get a table. I've heard good things about both of those...

Looking for a high-end Italian restaurant in Budapest? Neither were we, but my husband and I stumbled upon a gem. I highly recommend Fausto's on the Pest side near the Opera. The service is impeccable, the food is superb and the value is fantastic. It's a close second to Gary Danko on my favorites list and 1/3 of the price.

1061-H Budapest,

Székely Mihály street. 2

+36 1 877-6210

Thank you for your help. I will try as many rec's as possible in my time there and post about my trip when I get back. I understand I will be there for independence day which should be a great dust up. i am very very excited.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 9 months later...

I arrived in Budapest today and will be here for five days. My head's a ball of fuzz from jet lag and starvation--the worst airplane food ever, inedible--but soon we'll want to eat. Any updates? Thanks to Martin H and other posters for their recommendations on this thread.