• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chapel Hill/Triangle Recommendations?

dimsum

We thinking of relocating to the Chapel Hill area and will be down there visiting for a few days.

Looking for a few restaurant recommendations. Chinese and dim sum especially (Jujube? Neo China?) but not exclusively. Kid friendly -- or at least not kid unfriendly -- would be a help.

Any other advice about the area -- culinary or otherwise -- appreciated.

Thanks!

Looking for a few restaurant recommendations.  Any other advice about the area -- culinary or otherwise -- appreciated.

Dimsum, I envy you that you might have the option of living in the Triangle area! I often read the many posts here and wish it was my destination!

Some very interesting, and, I hope, helpful discussions on the Triangle exist here:

Best restaurants in the Triangle is here

Chapel Hill discussion here

Enoteca Vin in Raleigh discussion here

Three new dining options in the Triangle here

Japanese food in the Triangle is here

Food lovers' Guide to the Triangle is here This is about food shopping and is quite interesting!

Please note: anything written about food in the Triangle by our own manager Dean McCord ("Varmint") is exceptionally reliable. He knows the area and the food like few others ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Kid friendly in Chapel Hill - Elmo's is a good bet (somewhat upscale diner food). It is actually in CArrboro, I think. And I think Jujube would be worth a visit. My favorite dim sum place is up by me in Durham, tho (Hong Kong on Guess Rd).

The Triangle is a great place to be - the weather is good and folks are generally friendly to newcomers (because they're either Southern and hospitible or transplants and have walked in your shoes).

~nibbs

This area is a wonderful place to live! I really love it here.

But don't waste your money at Jujube, they are watering down Asian food for a timid audience, IMHO. The best dim sum is at that place on Guess Rd., like nibbs said.

Can't tell ya about Chinese food so much, but if you like Vietnamese food, I can tell you that I really like Lime and Basil on Franklin St. in Chapel Hill. It's not the most authentic, but it reminds me the most of the delicious Vietnamese lunch places I used to frequent in New Orleans. More expensive, though.

Check out Crook's Corner, for Southern cuisine.

My favorite restaurants in town are Elaine's on Franklin, Lantern, and Acme.

Good luck with it all, this is really a great place to live!

• 1 month later...

Thanks, everyone -- this is all very helpful!

I'm looking forward to being in a place which, relative to where I am now (Richmond, VA), seems so much more supportive of good food.

But don't waste your money at Jujube, they are watering down Asian food for a timid audience, IMHO. The best dim sum is at that place on Guess Rd., like nibbs said.

Jujube isn't trying to be one specific kind or even a blend of strictly Asian cusines and making bad food out of it. Jujube is making very good bistro food with an Asian influence in the flavors and ingredients. These are very different things. I'd much rather have the later than most of the specific Chinese, Japanese, Indian, or otherwise restaurants we have here.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

• 2 months later...