• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Shell Crabs

I was walking down Church Street on Friday and noticed the sign in the Church Street Cafe that Soft Shell Crabs are in. Crabs are my favorite seafood and soft shells are the favorite of my favorite. I dragged my husband there on Friday night. We actually had some discussion about calling Sesame to see if they had them on their menu, because I was a bit leary about Church Street Cafe. We decided to go there anyway. The service was fair, I received my entree while two thirds of the way through my salad, and the crabs were okay - just that.

The clock is ticking on the season. Has anyone had soft shell crabs anywhere that were great and memorable? I can't bring myself to clean them while they are alive. Sometimes I will have Whole Foods or Kings clean them and speed home to cook them, but a restaurant experience is preferred.

Thanks.

Marie

NJDuchess

Lorena's, in Maplewood, currently has them as an appetizer.

Soft Shell Crab, Israeli Couscous, Raisin, Apple, Fried Caper Berry, Fennel Purée.

I don't eat soft shell crabs, but I have no hesitation in recommending them there because Chef/owner Humberto Campos' cuisine is sublime! :wub:

Last week, I was a Dim Sum Dynasty in Ridgewood and they had some, fried with chilies and garlic I believe. Wow, it was really good. I'm not sure they're still available as a special. They may have already tapped out their supplier? My impression was that they were not going to be able to offer it beyond last weekend (even though I still see soft shell crab being sold elsewhere).

My wife loves soft shell crabs. Are there any places between Trenton and past New Brunswick, including most of Monmouth County, that currently have the dish?

We are willing to travel but not as far as the Monclair area.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Last week, I was a Dim Sum Dynasty in Ridgewood and they had some, fried with chilies and garlic I believe. Wow, it was really good. I'm not sure they're still available as a special. They may have already tapped out their supplier? My impression was that they were not going to be able to offer it beyond last weekend (even though I still see soft shell crab being sold elsewhere).

That would be a very good place to get them, as well as China 46 and also Sakura Bana in Ridgewood. Also, if you want a Westernized preparation, I would call Seafood Gourmet (click) in Maywood and ask them if they've gotten them in.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks for the suggestions. We usually go out for dinner once a week (all my waistline can afford). I think we should break the rule and do two times this week - once Asian and once non-Asian. I'll give you an update at the end of the week.

Marie

NJDuchess

New England: L'Espalier; soft shell tempura black sesame mango lychee.

YOu mean the place in Boston? Might as well mention some great places on Cape Cod, too, but that's a long ride from NJ...

It just dawned on me that I had taken a pic of the fried soft shell crabs at Dim Sum Dynasty. I only had my phone on me, so pardon the poor quality. Also, this is only 1.5 crabs left on the plate. If anyone were planning on trying theirs out, I suggest calling them to see if they are still available. All this talk makes me want to go eat more! Well, I'd been planning to go to Sakura-bana this week so....=9

gallery_19886_2656_10844.jpg

i'm digging the soft shell crabs at Oceanos in Fair Lawn.  the owners are very serious about seafood here.  soft shell crabs, some of their great twice-cooked french fries, and a couple of glasses of sparkling wine, and you've got yourself one fine meal.

http://www.oceanosrestaurant.com

Not on the website menu; I assume it's a seasonal/special. Do they have steamers, by any chance?

i'm digging the soft shell crabs at Oceanos in Fair Lawn.  the owners are very serious about seafood here.  soft shell crabs, some of their great twice-cooked french fries, and a couple of glasses of sparkling wine, and you've got yourself one fine meal.

http://www.oceanosrestaurant.com

Not on the website menu; I assume it's a seasonal/special. Do they have steamers, by any chance?

i would certainly hope it's seasonal! :shock:

not sure about the steamers.

had the soft shell crab at Dim Sum Dynasty. thought it was overcooked and dry.

My wife loves soft shell crabs. Are there any places between Trenton and past New Brunswick, including most of Monmouth County, that currently have the dish?

Ray's Seafood in Little Silver does them really well. Either fried or pan sauteed with garlic and oil over your choice of pasta.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Ray's Seafood in Little Silver does them really well. Either fried or pan sauteed with garlic and oil over your choice of pasta.

I am in Philly and I was looking for soft shells the other week and called Whole Foods, who said they are no longer carrying soft shells, as they have had customers voice their "concerns" over the treatment of the live softshells. The Washington Post ran a little squib about this last week. Whole foods does not carry live lobsters either. Call your fish market before you go to save yourself sometime.

wondee's in hackensack usually has them (basil and chili...yum-oh).

and then they continue to have them well after june. methinks they use frozen soft shells. but then is that really a horrible thing? i'm not even sure i can tell the difference most of the time.

China 46 has them as well.

Based on Tommy's recommendation of Oceanos, we tried it last night. It was a bit of a trek from West Orange, but we left feeling like it was worth it. My husband started with octopus which he really enjoyed. I had roasted beets with an almond spread that was outstanding. It was a very generous portion and could have served two of us easily. The soft shell crabs were nicely prepared with a side of ribboned vegetables. The fries were also good. My husband had the arctic char which was generous and very nice. I felt compelled to have a Greek wine. I can't recall the name, but it was similar to a savignon blanc and very nice. We finished with a Greek pastry - phyllo top and bottom with custard in between. I can't recall the name, but you should try it. Both the host (owner?) and server were gracious and charming. There didn't seem to be a lot of "fancy" cooking here - but the food is extremely well-prepared.

Now about that idea that we will also hit an Asian restaurant for soft shells this week...I think we may delay it until next week. It's the morning after, and I'm still feeling as though I really overindulged last night.

NJDuchess

njduchess, i'm glad you enjoyed Oceanos!

i love greek white wines. they've very crisp and bright, and to my mind a great compliment to simply prepared fish dishes.

the owners are Peter and his son, Nick. they are, as you say, very affable and gracious, and they're the type of people who are truly grateful for your business. Peter has had a restaurant at that location for years (Peter's Whale) and before that elsewhere in the Glen Rock/Fair Lawn area. it's a family business that has been around for quite some time. you don't find that very often.

wondee's in hackensack usually has them (basil and chili...yum-oh).

and then they continue to have them well after june.  methinks they use frozen soft shells.  but then is that really a horrible thing?  i'm not even sure i can tell the difference most of the time.

China 46 has them as well.

I second that - Almost anything with basil and chili is yum in my book.

On Friday afternoon, I decided to call Sesame in Montclair to see if they were serving soft shell crabs. I was told that they received 3 cases of them that very day. Off we went that very night. They offered them with 3 different sauces, and I chose black bean. The crabs were deep fried and the sauce was flavorful and definitely gave me my fix. Now my husband ordered the XO shrimp. At almost $30 it is one of the most expensive items on the menu, but if you like shrimp, the sauce and preperation is exceptional.

They were having a private party on Friday night, but otherwise, the restaurant was not that busy.

NJDuchess

had an outstanding soft shell crab at Oceanos in Fair Lawn last night.  These are some of the freshest tasting and meatiest soft shell crabs i've ever had.  Here's a pretty bad pic in low light.

Now I have an "oo lee" (don't know how to spell it. but that's how it's pronouced in italian ) for SS crabs. It means a " yen for"

So which shall it be..Wondees or Oceanos...?

Oh, decisions, decisions..