• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cutting smaller cakes from larger sheets

JeanneCake

I'm exhausted from the weekend's wedding work, and tomorrow I have a small 8" cake due. It was a last minute order and I should have said no, but I didn't.

I have several "leftover" layers from half-sheets I did this weekend (I do three layers of cake when I build my cakes, and I use 2" pans so I torte each one in half). I could cut 8" circles from these sheets and assemble the cake order without having to bake a separate 8" cake (which would mean getting up very early tomorrow). Aside from not having the browned crust "edge", is this a bad thing? We do it for little 3" cakes all the time, but I've never done it for a larger layer cake.

Whaddya think? Can I sleep in a little longer tomorrow or do I get up and bake....?

thanks, that's what I thought. I guess I was wondering whether the customer would notice. Usually I crumb coat, chill, cover with a slightly thicker layer of bcrm, chill and then if I need another coat, I go over it again, otherwise it's decorating time. I've never been crazy about the icing tip, it's faster and easier for me to apply the icing by hand.

Good night!! :biggrin:

As a cake eater (not baker) I don't think I'd notice at all. Yummy cakes get eaten, not evaluated. It's the ones that taste funny or less than devourable that I start to dissect.

sleep well.