• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just got back from the Juvenile Diabetes Walk for the Cure fundraiser and among the many generous sponsors offering free samples and food items there was a new Salsa from a company in Kamloops called "Fresh is Best Salsa & Company"

I was just about to walk by them, as I really don't care for store bought salsa finding it's often too sweet and preferring to make my own, but this stuff was fabulous!

Give it a try and support a small local company - their info sheet said it’s available at Overwaitea, Save On Foods, Coopers Foods and Safeway.

And no, they are not my client... :biggrin:

Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I was just about to walk by them,  as I really don't care for store bought salsa finding it's often too sweet and preferring to make my own, but this stuff was fabulous!

Can you describe it?

Thanks.

Edited by shelora (log)

I was just about to walk by them,  as I really don't care for store bought salsa finding it's often too sweet and preferring to make my own, but this stuff was fabulous!

Can you describe it?

Thanks.

Hi Shelora, it was nice and tangy, clearly had some fresh lime or lemon - I liked how fresh tasting it was. Chunky, but not so much that it was hard to eat on a chip. It was a traditional salsa with fresh tomatoes, onion, a bit of cilantro but I didn't examine it as I was walking away from the table when I ate it. It was not “hot” with garlic, as I have found some of the fresh made salsa in the plastic tubs and it didn't have corn or black beans in it, which many jarred brands seem to.

I also like that it was a locally made product, similarly to a pasta sauce line that I pick up when I am in Oliver at the Golden Mile Fruit stand - made in Oliver by a woman. Again I like to make my own pasta sauce from scratch but this one (which name momentarily escapes me) (darn, I can picture the label too, brain fart!) is so good that I usually buy a case when I am up there. The pomodoro sauce is particularly fabulous.

Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Can you describe it?

Thanks.

Hi Shelora, it was nice and tangy, clearly had some fresh lime or lemon - I liked how fresh tasting it was. Chunky, but not so much that it was hard to eat on a chip. It was a traditional salsa with fresh tomatoes, onion, a bit of cilantro but I didn't examine it as I was walking away from the table when I ate it. It was not “hot” with garlic, as I have found some of the fresh made salsa in the plastic tubs and it didn't have corn or black beans in it, which many jarred brands seem to.

I also like that it was a locally made product, similarly to a pasta sauce line that I pick up when I am in Oliver at the Golden Mile Fruit stand - made in Oliver by a woman. Again I like to make my own pasta sauce from scratch but this one (which name momentarily escapes me) (darn, I can picture the label too, brain fart!) is so good that I usually buy a case when I am up there. The pomodoro sauce is particularly fabulous.

Cate

Thanks, woman.