• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: therese - Hey, wanna play a game?

Cornbread (I've already taken a bite in the second picture): made with white cornmeal and no sugar (never, and I mean never---corn bread with sugar is called "cake").

AMEN to that too! Nice veggie plate. Mmmm... lima beans.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Your dinner at Watershed looked wonderful. I would have been hard pressed to choose, but I think I would have found a way to have grits. Here is one Canadian who LOVES grits. Thanks for the pics. I have the cookbook which I love. It is great to see the presentation.

Should I go to the trouble of visiting the Orange Julius in downtown Atlanta? Or just wait until I happen to walk by one while visiting some other downtown?

Orange Julius is never a destination. It's a happen-stance, waiting for you in the mall as you walk by. :wink:

When I was a kid we used to try and make our own Orange Julius at home using vanilla ice cream and orange juice. It was more like drinking a 50-50 Bar or Orange Creme popsicle. Still, it was very good...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have made that kind of cornbread once, from an old Craig Claibourne recipe. It's pudding-souffle like.

I'll take a stab at the one of the unanswered questions (not a boldface one), but it leads to my own question. The fernlike vegetable alongside the beansprouts and spinach or whatever, it looks to be "mountain vegetable" which I've seen at Japanese and Korean restaurants, and which is nobody ever has been able to qualify for me. You know, there are several, and for one vegetable to be called mountain vegetable implies one has never been to the mountains. So what is this mountain vegetable?

Should your travels ever take you up Philadelphia way, be sure to make your way to Cheryl's Southern Style in downtown Chester (see my foodblog for a brief review).  This is one of those "little divey corner joints" -- it's literally a hole in the wall, with no inside seating -- and Cheryl does it right.  If she stayed open past 5, I'd grab a platter to go and take it with me on the train home--Chester train station is right across the street.

There are some inexpensive restaurants that do a decent job of this sort of food, and it sounds like Cheryl's is one of them. But for every Cheryl's there will be a number of places that just get by, using canned vegetables and making liberal use of the deep fryer and miniature marshmallows.

When I first moved to Atlanta there was a small place called Deacon Burton's that was very good. Cafeteria style service staffed by friendly sorts who wouldn't hesitate to tell you whether you'd made nutritionally appropriate choices. It smelled like my grandmother's kitchen.

When the deacon died there was a dispute over ownership of the restaurant, presumably because he wasn't necessarily married to the mother of all his children. One of them opened a restaurant in next door to the original, calling it Son's. I've been a couple of times, and was served canned vegetables each time, and that was that.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Therese

I'm still trying to convince myself that Rubber Biscuit was in the BB movie. Searching the internet didn't help, all I found was listings on albums. But no mind. I will watch the movie seriously in the future...

I can certainly fill in the details on a

wish sandwich - two slices of bread and you sincerely wish you had some meat

ricochet biscuit - the kind of biscuit that's supposed to bounce back from the wall - if it don't bounce back...you go hungry!

cool water sandwich and a Sunday go to meeting bun means that I had a watermelon and I took a little lady to church.

It's all good.

Can't help with the Atlanta based questions from my grey day in Sydney Australia, I'm afraid, but having a great time reading your blog

Maliaty

I'm guessing Dave the Cook can describe the scene in detail. Or maybe I'll just rent the movie tonight, as my husband's going out to play poker.

I knew pretty quickly which song therese was asking about, but I don't think it's in the movie, either. We'll have to wait for therese's report tomorrow, I guess.

Should I go to the trouble of visiting the Orange Julius in downtown Atlanta? Or just wait until I happen to walk by one while visiting some other downtown?

Absolutely wait until you happen to walk past one . . . and then keep walking past it.

On my way to something worth the trouble, no doubt.

Orange Julius is never a destination. It's a happen-stance, waiting for you in the mall as you walk by. :wink:

When I was a kid we used to try and make our own Orange Julius at home using vanilla ice cream and orange juice. It was more like drinking a 50-50 Bar or Orange Creme popsicle. Still, it was very good...

For those who venture way outside the Perimeter, there's an Orange Julius in the food court at Mall of Georgia. where you can often find my 15 year-old son and me running the sample gauntlet after the movie matinee. As Zak says, it's worth a taste, but you wouldn't actually want to pay money for a whole serving (which, I'm proud to say, is his reaction to pretty much everything in the food court).

It's kind of sad that the traditional vegetable plate gets overlooked among all the talk about fried chicken, shrimp and grits, barbecue and the like. As therese says, it's the most traditional of the dishes on the Watershed menu. And like salmon croquettes, though it's identified as Southern, what it really is is rural -- both dishes were staples at my grandmother's table in Indiana farm country.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

and backrubs if you are a "strapping young buck" as my dining companion was called.

From the waitstaff? (Male, I'm guessing?)

Most of the wait staff at Mary Mac's is female. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if one of them were to pop out with the observation that either my husband or my son was a "strapping young buck."

The Colonnade is another place in town that serves this style food. I don't like the food quite as much, but it does have great people watching and is very popular with men who do not appreciate the female form.

So tell me more about this Mary Mac. And the Clermont, if you're up to it.

I don't have any pictures from the Clermont (and for this you should be most heartily grateful), but it has been discussed previously here eG. Check out this thread to find some information, including the ringing endorsement of a guy whose opinion was actually featured in Gourmet magazine.

I ate at Mary Mac's for my last blog, so I'll scavenge some pictures from the archives for you:

gallery_11280_802_335612.jpg

gallery_11280_802_306148.jpg

I knew pretty quickly which song therese was asking about, but I don't think it's in the movie, either. We'll have to wait for therese's report tomorrow, I guess.

Oh, dear, now I'm obligated to watch the movie tonight. I can't think where I'd have picked up on the fact that the Blues Brothers did this song unless it was in the movie, as I don't have much of a memory for music. Maybe a music video?

For those who venture way outside the Perimeter, there's an Orange Julius in the food court at Mall of Georgia. where you can often find my 15 year-old son and me running the sample gauntlet after the movie matinee. As Zak says, it's worth a taste, but you wouldn't actually want to pay money for a whole serving (which, I'm proud to say, is his reaction to pretty much everything in the food court).

I'm also clearly not spending nearly enough time in mall food courts. Is there a Chik-fil-A there? I am headed way outside the perimeter on Sunday, taking my daughter to a camp at University of Georgia in Athens. We're planning on doing brunch at five and ten.

Those of you who crave the full-on Atlanta experience will want to check out The Varsity (if you listen to the sound track on this loop you can hear one of the counter guys listing beverages, among which is the frosted orange).

The Varsity is famous for its hot dogs, but actually serves a pretty good egg salad sandwich.

Your dinner at Watershed looked wonderful. I would have been hard pressed to choose, but I think I would have found a way to have grits. Here is one Canadian who LOVES grits. Thanks for the pics. I have the cookbook which I love. It is great to see the presentation.

I did find a way to have grits: how do you think my husband got my fried okra?

gallery_11280_3009_821521.jpg

What is this? (Yes, its obvious.)

How do I know that it's ripe?

Why would I say that the sight of it makes me wolfishly hungry?

I believe that it's know as a "personal size watermelon" and just like its' big brother, you thump and also check the stem end for fragrance and a bit of "give".

"Wolfishly hungry" ? I ain't got a clue. :blink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Oh, dear, now I'm obligated to watch the movie tonight. I can't think where I'd have picked up on the fact that the Blues Brothers did this song unless it was in the movie, as I don't have much of a memory for music. Maybe a music video?
Are you saying you never watched Saturday Night Live?
I'm also clearly not spending nearly enough time in mall food courts. Is there a Chik-fil-A there? I am headed way outside the perimeter on Sunday, taking my daughter to a camp at University of Georgia in Athens. We're planning on doing brunch at five and ten.

Yeah, but we're usually there on Sunday -- a dilemma you've covered already.
I believe that it's know as a "personal size watermelon" and just like its' big brother, you thump and also check the stem end for fragrance and a bit of "give".

Would it have something to do with sugar type and content?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Yep, it's a watermelon. Bigger than what I'd call personal size, as it's over 12" in diameter (difficult to tell, as there's no scale in the photo) and this particular sort has a very thin rind. So plenty of watermelon there.

I actually pick my watermelons based on the presence of a yellow patch on the surface. So far the technique has served me well.

gallery_11280_3009_821521.jpg

What is this? (Yes, its obvious.)

How do I know that it's ripe?

Why would I say that the sight of it makes me wolfishly hungry?

>> I look for the yellow patch too and a hollow thump I think... served me well so far at least. As for the wolf bit, I think its because wolves like watermelon? (I cheated.. I googled and found a wolf park in Indiana that takes donations to buy waltermelons for wolves!!).

-w@w

Okay, maybe we need to do some reverse engineering on this whole "wolfishly hungry for watemelon" question and consider some of watermelon's more interesting properties, food-wise.

and backrubs if you are a "strapping young buck" as my dining companion was called.

From the waitstaff? (Male, I'm guessing?)

Actually it was an older lady - which sorta added to his discomfort. I personally was jealous because the backrub looked really comforting and homey. but i got no love, cuz i'm not a buck.

So tell me more about this Mary Mac.  And the Clermont, if you're up to it.

Mary Mac's Tea Room is an Atlanta Institution for the classic Southern meat and three. It's jsut down the street a bit from the Infamous Clermont Lounge - where, well old (female) strippers go to die.

The Colonnade on the other hand is also a Classic Meat and Three - they still serve a wedge salad (iceberg with blue cheese dressing). As Therese mentioned it is popular with men who do not appreciate the female form. what Therese didn't mention is that it is equally popular with blue-haired old ladies - sometimes in the company of men who do not appreciate the female form. Especially after Church. it is definitely great people-watching.

Therese - after looking at your Mary Mac's picture - all i can say is I was totally robbed - that cornbread and Pot likker looks delish.

As for your wolfish hunger - isn't it common to have big watermelon orgies at like wolf reserves and rescues and such?

Edited by tryska (log)

So tell me more about this Mary Mac. And the Clermont, if you're up to it.

I don't have any pictures from the Clermont (and for this you should be most heartily grateful), but it has been discussed previously here eG. Check out this thread to find some information, including the ringing endorsement of a guy whose opinion was actually featured in Gourmet magazine.

I ate at Mary Mac's for my last blog, so I'll scavenge some pictures from the archives for you:

gallery_11280_802_335612.jpg

gallery_11280_802_306148.jpg

Looks promising. Tastes as good as it looks?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The Blues Brothers did “Rubber Biscuit” as a follow-up to the movie. Although the Blues Brothers did a pretty good job of impersonating musicians, the other performers were what made the movie special: the band (Booker T and the MGs minus Booker T and Al Jackson); Aretha, John Lee Hooker, James Brown, Ray Charles; and Sam and Dave on the radio.

Not that I’ve watched the movie a lot or anything.

I meant to say also that I totally called the pimento cheese appetizer thing when you posted the menu, or rather, that's what I would have gotten for an app, then I realized I'll probably never go there so I stopped reading it too deeply. A couple I hang out with just decided to move there, he's going to music school, she's a teacher, so you never know though. That's the secondary reason I'm checking out this thread, the first is trivia and I check for weight and the sound a watermelon makes when knocked, but have no idea what it has to do with wolves, maybe the seeds get in the way of the eating creating some sort of wolfish anxiety?

Heh. The only trivia about watermelon that I can think of is this (actually pretty apropos) aphorism attributed to Mark Twain: "It was not a Southern watermelon that Eve took: we know it because she repented." :biggrin:

I am notoriously lousy at picking out ripe melons of any species, so I'm sitting out that question. :laugh:

I believe these are called "Ma Tai Goh" in Cantonese, made with water chestnuts not chestnuts.

Do you know what the jelly matrix is flavored with, if anything?

(Referring to this dim sum item):

gallery_11280_2978_151455.jpg

I searched some Chinese recipe sites and their recipes on this "Ma Tai Goh" are similar.

Here is one recipe (in Chinese, but there is one picture):

http://www.leisure-cat.com/frm_1122.htm

The jelly mixture is basically brown sugar dissolved in boiling water and mixed with water chestnut powder. Some add coconut creme/milk and skim milk. Mix that with chopped or shredded water chestnuts and 1 tblsp of oil. The mixture is then steamed for 40 minutes. Let it cool down, slice it up and lightly fry each piece.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"