• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: therese - Hey, wanna play a game?

dont foget this is all related to Gout also

Excellent point re gout (or as we call it here in the south, "the gouch"). I've got to go to a meeting (where I'll have the pleasure of freaking out my colleagues with Korean fish cake), so how about you construct a trivia question that addresses the connection with gout?

Okay, looks like rooftop1000/tracey is doing something else at the moment, so I'll keep going.

The most common type of kidney stones are oxalate stones, formed when the fluid (urine in this instance) has such a high concentration of oxalate that it will no longer stay in solution and so forms crystals.

Urine is not the only fluid in which crystals may form, however, and there are instances in which oxalate can form crystals in the synovial fluid, the liquid that's produced by the membranes lining joints. The crystals are very irritating (sort of like sand) and the joints become swollen and painful.

The most common disease-causing crystal found in synovial fluid is not, however, oxalate, but something else. What is it?

Can you pee in the ocean?

Arthritis? Or was this the question constructed about gout?

Arthritis refers to inflammation of a joint or joints, and there are lots and lots of different sorts (infectious, autoimmune, etc.).

When the inflammation is the result of crystal formation in the synovial fluid the generic term (one of them, anyway) is crystal arthropathy (which just means joint disease). Oxalate can do this (as was suggested upthread in our discussion of kidney stones) but there's a much more common substance that typically does it.

So, what is that substance?

And I'm sure a number of people here at eG have the condition that's caused by joint deposition of this substance, as the term "gluttony" is almost synonymous with it.

[edit to add a word]

Edited by therese (log)

Sorry work keeps getting in the way...Uric acid

Sour cherry juice is a good homepathic remedie/preventative

very strange lists of foods are bad for gout including the obviouse booz and gravy but also beans...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

My breakfast (with skim milk):

gallery_11280_2992_356403.jpg

When topped with milk this cereal is not photogenic. It is, however, pretty tasty, and does contain 14 gm of dietary fiber per 1/2 cup serving. I get very hungry very quickly, and this is one of the few cereals that keep me from getting grumpy and headache-y too soon after I've eaten.

And all these years I thought "Super Colon Blow" was a parody*. :smile:

But thanks for reminding me that maybe I should start eating Kashi GoLean Crunch!--a high-fiber** cereal I really like and which would go well with my exercise regimen--again.

*Edited to add: The City of Philadelphia is currently running an ad campaign reminding residents what items they should recycle and what they shouldn't. (A radio ad features two women talking about "recycling your mail," and one of them agrees that she should dispose of her no-good boyfriend.) One of the ads in the subway reminds you to recycle cardboard boxes and features a fictitious cereal whose label reads "One Bowl and You'll Feel ... BRAN Tastic." Since the product is described on the label as "Semi-crunchy flakes of bran with rock-hard raisins," I don't think I'm going to look for this stuff at my local supermarket anytime soon.

**Relatively speaking. With a mere 8g of fiber, it doesn't even hold a candle to this stuff.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Excellent point re gout (or as we call it here in the south, "the gouch"). I've got to go to a meeting (where I'll have the pleasure of freaking out my colleagues with Korean fish cake), so how about you construct a trivia question that addresses the connection with gout?

Okay, looks like rooftop1000/tracey is doing something else at the moment, so I'll keep going.

The most common type of kidney stones are oxalate stones, formed when the fluid (urine in this instance) has such a high concentration of oxalate that it will no longer stay in solution and so forms crystals.

Urine is not the only fluid in which crystals may form, however, and there are instances in which oxalate can form crystals in the synovial fluid, the liquid that's produced by the membranes lining joints. The crystals are very irritating (sort of like sand) and the joints become swollen and painful.

The most common disease-causing crystal found in synovial fluid is not, however, oxalate, but something else. What is it?

Aha! That would be crystals of uric acid, the immediate chemical culprit behind gout. The underlying condition involves faulty processing of uric acid in the bloodstream--either the kidneys aren't clearing it as fast as normal, or the body's churning out faster than normal--and so the excess uric acid crystalizes, usually following gravity to pick just one joint to collect in, most typically in the feet, especially the right big toe, though eventually it could strike anywhere. Uric acid crystals are shaped like sharp little needles, so the little buggers hurt like the blazes. I have never experienced such vicious pain as my first gout attack--just one toe, and I was completely laid low for a good two weeks.

But I'm really intrigued by this bit:

Lets see Oxalobactor Formigenes degrades oxylate in the intestine ....

and Inulin is probiotic friendly, and fiber gives ya that little push and yogurt contains probiotics....

tracey

Now, unless I'm misinterpreting here, this is suggesting that gut flora also have an influence on gout? This is something I didn't know, and would love to know more about.

And I'm sure a number of people here at eG have the condition that's caused by joint deposition of this substance, as the term "gluttony" is almost synonymous with it.

[edit to add a word]

Fat?

Gluten? (playing on homophony)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Sorry work keeps getting in the way...Uric acid 

Sour cherry juice is a good homepathic remedie/preventative

very strange lists of foods are bad for gout including the obviouse booz and gravy but also beans...

tracey

Aha, I see you were faster on the trigger, while I was taking my time laboring over my post ... :smile:

The bizarre list of foods on the anti-gout diet lists mostly have to do with avoiding purine, one of the naturally-occurring amino acids in most all protein-rich foods--only this one amino acid is the direct chemical predescessor of uric acid. Research has shown that gout, or tendency to it, is mostly due to hereditary factors, but long-term excessive dietary purines can take a predisposition to gout and kick it over the edge. And booze makes the anti-gout list because alcohol ups the volume on whatever other gout-leaning activity is going on--plus I think the yeast content of beer adds some purines of its own.

In real life, it's almost impossible to avoid all purines entirely--your body needs protein, after all--so you're basically looking at either eating a low-protein diet or taking meds to control uric acid for the rest of your life. :sad:

Those look like the chewy bits usually served on top of patbingsu - ice and fruit and chewy bits served with red beans during the summer. McDonalds always did a nice one with vanilla soft serve, as I recall. Does anyone know their official name? Zenkimchi? Are you out there?

Is that related to Halo Halo?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Those look like the chewy bits usually served on top of patbingsu - ice and fruit and chewy bits served with red beans during the summer. McDonalds always did a nice one with vanilla soft serve, as I recall. Does anyone know their official name? Zenkimchi? Are you out there?

Is that related to Halo Halo?

I've never specifically had halo halo (which I think is the Filipino version of this dessert), but since there are similar dishes in Vietnamese and Malay and almost certainly every other cuisine from that general part of the world I'm going to go ahead and say yes, it's the same (or very similar).

I call these dishes "shave ice" sweets generically.

I've never specifically had halo halo (which I think is the Filipino version of this dessert), but since there are similar dishes in Vietnamese and Malay and almost certainly every other cuisine from that general part of the world I'm going to go ahead and say yes, it's the same (or very similar).

"crap in a glass" wasn't working out anymore, huh?

have you decided what you are doing for dinner?

"crap in a glass" wasn't working out anymore, huh?

As tryska knows, I've been known to include these in a yet more generic category called "crap in a glass." This includes not only shave ice desserts but basil seed drink, bubble tea, falooda, and about a million other interesting beverages.

have you decided what you are doing for dinner?

No. But I have decided that I'd ideally combine dinner out with the purchase of a new car.

Wish me luck.

Wow, all I did for my blog was buy a new stove! :laugh:

Oh my God! You have to purchase appliances for blogging?? I was just going to clean my kitchen up a bit and tidy the fridge! :laugh: This runs into big bucks! :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Wow, all I did for my blog was buy a new stove! :laugh:

Oh my God! You have to purchase appliances for blogging?? I was just going to clean my kitchen up a bit and tidy the fridge! :laugh: This runs into big bucks! :huh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Perhaps you can get a new toaster? $15 at Costco...

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

oy.  get the food first, then the car.  or you might make a rash low blood sugar decision.

anyway - good luck and god speed!

I'm more likely to make a rash alcohol-fueled decision.

So, I looked at cars before dinner. Why? Well, because I was definitely going to have a beer (or two) with dinner, and it just seems like appallingly poor form to take a car out for a test drive after one's had a beer (or two).

So husband and daughter (who went to swim practice this AM and didn't feel like practicing twice in the same day, though she should) and I set out for the closest nidus of car dealerships to our home. To give you an idea of just how little I care for Atlanta traffic I've already decided that I will pick a car from one of these dealerships (Infiniti, Nissan, Subaru, Isuzu, and BMW), as the next closest nest of them is irritatingly distant from my abode and/or work (which are walking distance from each other, for those of you who didn't read my last blog).

We still didn't know where we'd be eating when we left the house. There are lots of good Indian restaurants near the car dealerships, but in the interest of providing eG's readership with the "southern" experience it craves we decided instead to go to:

gallery_11280_2992_272301.jpg

This place has all sorts of street cred:

gallery_11280_2992_213568.jpg

Note the outdooor dining area on a busy intersection, next to a gas station. Note also that the guy in the black T-shirt sitting with his back to the camera is the lead musician in the band. The woman sitting opposite him was both extraordinarily attractive and extraordinarily enthusiastic. Or at least she managed to look extraordinarily enthusiastic.

The inside is pleasant enough, and because there's no smoking in restaurants (and many bars) here that's never an issue. The table in this photo is for a large group of about 12. The woman in the white shirt is holding an 18 day old infant. Later on, about halfway through the first set, we realize that the group is there for a party of some sort, very possibly a baby shower for the infant:

gallery_11280_2992_317014.jpg

You place your order at the counter:

gallery_11280_2992_209628.jpg

From this menu:

gallery_11280_2992_65979.jpg

You take your beverages to your table and wait for your food. Here's my husband pouring me a Shiner Bock (it's okay, he's from Texas):

gallery_11280_2992_650654.jpg

We sat right next to the band stand. I didn't take a picture while they were playing, but here's the stand:

gallery_11280_2992_146848.jpg

Our food arrives in good time, and here's where things get dicey:

gallery_11280_2992_629354.jpg

I've got pulled pork, which is cooked beyond done to mushy, and the sauce on top doesn't help. The cole slaw was clearly made in a factory someplace far, far away. The mysterious item with a plastic spoon sticking out of it is Brunswick stew. In addition to pulled pork (non-mushy pulled pork) it should contain corn, tomatoes, and (often) lima beans. This picture actually makes it look better than it really was---those yellow specks are appear to be corn, but in fact they cannot be discerned by either taste or texture from the background mush.

gallery_11280_2992_346530.jpg

You can see a little bit of char on the meat in the foreground, but its mostly so mushy you could use it for baby food.

gallery_11280_2992_629735.jpg

This tastes of potassium benzoate, not cabbage.

gallery_11280_2992_361653.jpg

The ribs (my husband ordered these) are the best meat option. I find them a bit flabby, but at least there's a bit of char.

gallery_11280_2992_294999.jpg

The best thing in the place, apart from the beer. The menu (vide supra) describes these as made by "Miss Mary Nell" and offers both sweet potato and egg custard. We all got egg custard, which is actually chess but of course so few people actually know the difference that they describe it as egg custard and call it a day.

Important additional info:

1. The band was decent.

2. I only managed to make it to the Infiniti dealership (my present car is an Infiniti) and can't make up my mind between the big luxury car and the sporty little coupe. The color I like best is only available in the sporty little coupe.

And I still have to check out the other dealerships.