• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland Restaurants

And that reminds me:

Whose whole bean coffee should I take back with me? I'd like to take back a few pounds of good coffee. I can't recall the names of the roasters whose coffee I purchased 2 years ago, but most of it was pretty damn good.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Quick visit - Park Kitchen was lovely, except that the last of 6 small plates arrived some 1-1/2 hours after the first 3. But we liked the food, location, and feel of the place.

Le Pigeon on SE Burnside was fabulous for Saturday brunch.

And the Saturday Market was a dream, as always - sorry to have missed Jim.

BTW, if you travel to Portland and plan to bring home chocolates from any or all the great places, take a cooler! The I-5 drive home created a serious melt-down.

Oh, and our resident cat, who is not a beggar, was very interested in the toasted baguette from Ken's! Two times even.

Edited by tsquare (log)

I have one cat that goes crazy for the crusts from Ken's country blonde! Just crazy.

Bummer about the chocolates.

I'm guessing you mean the Portland Farmer's Market (which happens on Saturday and is mainly food), or do you really mean the Portland Saturday Market (which happens on Sat and Sunday and is arts and crafts)?

regards,

trillium

I'm in Portland for the second time in the last eight months and am curious to know if anyone can name me some amazing restaurants to try while I'm in town. Last time I was in town I ate at The Harrison, Wildwood, Noble Rot and Gotham Building Tavern. (Noble Rot impressed me the most.) I hear Paley's Place is wonderful and have heard mixed things about Lucy's Table. Anyone have others they'd like to throw into the mix?

I have one cat that goes crazy for the crusts from Ken's country blonde!  Just crazy.

Bummer about the chocolates.

I'm guessing you mean the Portland Farmer's Market (which happens on Saturday and is mainly food), or do you really mean the Portland Saturday Market (which happens on Sat and Sunday and is arts and crafts)?

regards,

trillium

Correct - the Portland Farmer's Market! I stay away from the Saturday Market...

Ate the chocolates anyway...not pretty, but good.

Paley's is not really a favorite. Its a lovely, romantic restaurant, but the food just has not kept up with the advances in the rest of town. Lucy's table is not even close to being a contender for one of PDX's best restaurants, although it too is a pleasant place.

In my opinion, by far the most inventive food, and often the best for my palate, in town, is being made at Park Kitchen. Good work is being done at Olea, as well. Fenouil puts out some good food but is very expensive. Roux, as well, although, like Fenouil, they are mostly playing it safe. Vindalho puts out some tasty treats, though they aren't trying to be a gourmet destination. I've heard good things about genoa, but their cuisine seems a bit boring to me.

While quite expensive, clarkelewis does good work, as well. Gotham tavern has, sadly, closed.

There are also some excellent places in wine country, such as the joel palmer house.

Oh, the old Mallory Hotel, west of 405, has been renovated into the Hotel Delux. Very nice looking. The bar looks great and has a good priced happy hour for food. The restaurant (Gracie's?) is quite formal appearing, but the menu looked good and the chef was the sous at Lucy's Table. I guess that is good? This is close to the Stadium (the older one.) Someone should check this out. The bar especially.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Carlyle is another restaurant that garners good reviews, although I haven't been there. One of the bartenders that works there is a great mixologist and I've been meaning to check it out for lunch when it wouldn't be so spendy.

Ken's Artisan Pizza is now open, and if the pizze are anything like the bread...

And yes, Nick's Coney Island is still in operation, as of last weekend anyway. Boy does that stretch need some better food options! If another pseudo Thai vegetarian place opens....

I'm on the bar at the Hotel Delux, planning on checking it out later in the week. I loved the Mallory Hotel, and the bar especially.

regards,

trillium

Whose whole bean coffee should I take back with me?  I'd like to take back a few pounds of good coffee.  I can't recall the names of the roasters whose coffee I purchased 2 years ago, but most of it was pretty damn good.

I like Stumptown; they're all over the east side, not sure about west side. I especially enjoy the Holler Mountain Blend, good, organic, smooth, well-rounded, no acidity to speak of. The Hairbender blend is a bit more intense, but it's the same price as HMB and not organic. The staff are well-trained to answer questions about all their whole bean coffee.

Eilen

Just under 3 weeks to Brewfest! We're staying at the Hotel Delux this time (couldn't get into Inn @ Northrup) and have reservations Friday at clarklewis, and Saturday at Andina.

Let the pre-diet begin!

A.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a nice lunch at Fenouil this summer. We also very much enjoyed our dinner and brund at the Heathman Hotel when we stayed there a couple of weeks ago. clarklewis, Paley's, Park Kitchen, Hurley's, Higgins are all very nice places to have great meals in PDX. Cheers! :)

Just under 3 weeks to Brewfest!  We're staying at the Hotel Delux this time (couldn't get into Inn @ Northrup) and have reservations Friday at clarklewis, and Saturday at Andina.

Let the pre-diet begin!

A.

You souldn't be disapointed, both dark, er... I mean clarklewis and Andina are good.

The first time I ate at Andina I did not have a very good main course, but we were there for a co-worker's going away party and there were 20+ of us for lunch. I have since be back twice and had excellent meals both times.

At clarklewis I wasn't crazy about how the lamb was prepared, although it had very good flavor, I wouldn't order it again. Everything else I've had there was very good and I find the space to be romantic in a *non* cutesy-pie way.

Cat

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR