• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary Picnic

snowangel

Paul and I celebrate our 25th early in June. It will be a week night, which sort of eschews a fancy night out. But, as the teen is more than capable of getting the littler two fed, and given that we live but 400 yards from the mighty Miss and a huge park with all sorts of little nooks and crannies along the River, I'm thinking bikes and a picnic.

So, what would you take along? And, no, I'm not taking a camping stove along so that we can cook something ala site. I'm not sure if our county's park allows wine, but regulations never stopped me!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Did you have a honeymoon? Is there something you could re-create from that? Otherwise, I'd go for cheeses, olives, some Italian salamis, a baguette and fruit, and, of course, a bottle of good wine.

Stop Family Violence

Barefoot Contessa always seems to be doing picnics, regardless of the season. Recently I watched a show when Ina and Michael sat bundled on the boardwalk with a thermos of French onion soup. Maybe checkout some of her cookbooks for some ideas.

You could really do just about anything that can be room temp or chilled. I keep thiking lobster rolls, but maybe you want to go with something fancier?

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Barefoot Contessa always seems to be doing picnics, regardless of the season.  Recently I watched a show when Ina and Michael sat bundled on the boardwalk with a thermos of French onion soup.  Maybe checkout some of her cookbooks for some ideas.

You could really do just about anything that can be room temp or chilled.  I keep thiking lobster rolls, but maybe you want to go with something fancier?

Funny you mention that, as the show I caught today was a beach picnic. Pasta, pesto, and pea salad, a shrimp salad, lemon poundcakes.

Or maybe a muffaletta - my favorite picnic food to carry along.

Will you be able to transport food from your car to the picnic spot?

If so you could do something like this:

poached salmon with a dill mousseline sauce

green bean vinagrette salad

orzo dressed with lemon, olive oil and oil-cured black olives.

fresh cherries with a soft triple creme cheese (this is a particularly good combination)

dense almond cake (lots of good suggestions on the egullet thread)

pink french champagne to drink alongside.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm also from a Mississippi River town (Memphis,) and grew up having picnics on the bluff regularly. Maybe it's those roots, but the most romantic picnic food to me is still cold fried chicken, cole slaw, biscuits, and corn on the cob. With a checkered tablecloth, a stable candle, and a bottle of wine, I can't think of anything I'd rather have. I might go a little nuts with food in other instances, but for picnics -- especially with a river view and someone you love -- I find simple suits me best.

Happy anniversary!

Barefoot Contessa always seems to be doing picnics, regardless of the season...

Funny you mention that, as the show I caught today was a beach picnic. Pasta, pesto, and pea salad, a shrimp salad, lemon poundcakes.

Or maybe a muffaletta - my favorite picnic food to carry along.

That pesto pasta salad is really good...she mixes spinach in with the pesto and adds some peas and pine nuts. I made it for a reception at my brother's theatre company last year (for large donors - I'm on the board and yet I still end up doing the work :laugh:), and it was a HUGE hit. Everyone wanted the recipe.

Here's a link: click!

My favorite thing for a picnic is cold chicken. Prosecco to drink, definitely. Maybe some blanched asparagus with homemade lemon mayo?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

susan and paul - happy anniversary!!!

ok- no cabin - boo-hiss!!

this is a big one. a really good bottle of wine/champagne to accompany whatever you want. cheese and crackers? some smoked fish - want me to fed ex some Perona Farms salmon - choose your flavor.? i buy it out the back of the building since i work in town. since you didn't send me any of that wonderful fish paul caught did you dry or freeze any? or you could go old school with herrings and deviled eggs.

really good sandwiches? muffaleta? steak sarnies? i know you really kick butt - in more ways than one- but do you have anything in the freezer that you can feed to each other?

chocolate covered rasberries? chocolate covered strawberries? any chocolate?

and sweetie - get a room then suprise him with a new..............pm if you have to!

have a wonderful time

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We did not picnic tonight. In fact, we didn't really eat much at all. One of the kids (Heidi) took a nasty tumble, so we spent the evening at the ER. It has been an anniversary we won't forget! The patient is just fine, and I almost, but didn't quite pass out, so we are considering the evening a success. It was grazing out of the fridge. Fruit and hummus and pita. Worked well for us.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Susan, I'm so encouraged to know I'm not the only one who experiences "real life" holidays/special occasions and takes that in stride. I appreciate your excellent attitude -- I'm a big believer that the days which have made up The Husband's and my almost-21-years together are far more valuable than one less-than-ideal anniversary -- and it's clear you share my philosophy.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

• 4 weeks later...

And are you allowed to drink wine in public like that? Just wondering, as I've wanted to do that for awhile. Or should it be soda?

I had a picnic with my SO recently before a concert in a park. Got there early. I had to work beforehand, so got a nice prepared veggie salad from the market, picked up two Quiznos subs (he loves Bob from the commericals), and I made a crab dip and brought raw veggies. couple of cans of soda.

After the concert, went to Baskin Robbins and got two sundaes. Drove to a park that was along side the Husdon River, sat on a bench in the darkness, around 11pm and ate and watched the starts. So quiet, it was wonderful.