• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail Order Puffin?

AnnieTea

My boyfriend is crazy about Iceland and he regrets not having tried puffin while he was there. Yes, they are the very cute birds, and a local delicacy. Does anyone know if puffin could be mail ordered for a special birthday surprise? I would also appreciate recipes and any input anyone could give who might have tried it either there or at home.

We have puffins in Canada but I'm pretty sure they're a protected species. You'd have to order them from Iceland if they're even available.

Buuuut, I think you should remind your boyfriend that it's just weird to eat black & white animals.... killer whales, penguins, puffins, zebras, pandas, skunks..... notice nobody eats these things? :huh:

Puffins are protected by Federal law in the U.S. See the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service's list here. Consequently, puffins (or parts of puffins) may not be imported legally into the U.S.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Buuuut, I think you should remind your boyfriend that it's just weird to eat black & white animals.... killer whales, penguins, puffins, zebras, pandas, skunks..... notice nobody eats these things?  :huh:

But we can drink their milk!

SB (couldn't think of anything else)

Edited by srhcb (log)