• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cookbooks for Vietnamese and Mediterranean?

saltylj

Hi, I have been wanting to get into and learn how to cook various types of food from various regions, and I figured nows a good a time as any. I was wondering what books do you suggest teach Mediterranean and Vietnamese cooking best, easy or authentic? Any and all suggestions are appreciated, whether to a book or a forum already dedicated to this, I searched but couldnt find one, thanx.

saltz

Hi, I have been wanting to get into and learn how to cook various types of food from various regions, and I figured nows a good a time as any.  I was wondering what books do you suggest teach Mediterranean and Vietnamese cooking best, easy or authentic?  Any and all suggestions are appreciated, whether to a book or a forum already dedicated to this, I searched but couldnt find one, thanx.

saltz

Which part of the Mediterranean are you interested in ? Most people think about Mediterranean as French but the Mediterranean Sea has much more interesting parts to visit ( and foods). One part most people are often not familiar with is Croatia which has some of the best places of the whole Mediterranean Sea. Also the food is quite unique and has many influences. One book to start with is "The Best of Croatian Cooking" by Liliana Pavicic.

A Mediterranean Feast by Clifford Wright and Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen (October 2006 release).

Have you seen a preview of Andrea Nguyen's book? I love the articles she's written.

I keep in touch with her via email. She's really knowledgeable and generous with what she knows. I'll ask her if I can have a peak. :wink:

Many here know that I'm a huge fan of Cliff's writing, but his reputation speaks for itself. I highly recommend A Mediterranean Feast for beginners and experts of Mediterranean cuisines.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

A Mediterranean Feast is a wonderful choice.

I also think Paula Wolfert's World of Food and Mediterranean Cooking are essential and Joyce Goldstein's The Mediterranean Kitchen is great, too.

Love all the Alford/Duguid books. I find Mai Pham's Pleasures of The Vietnamese Table to be a great asset as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My favorite Vietnamese cookbooks are Mai Pham's Pleasures of The Vietnamese Table and Corinne Trang's Authentic Vietnamese Cooking. Also great are Nicole Routhier's The Foods of Vietnam, Alford/Duguid's Hot Sour Salty Sweet (Southeast Asian, not just Vietnamese) and Nancie McDermotts' Quick and Easy Vietnamese.

When it comes to pan-Mediterranean food, I adore Paula Wolfert's passion for those cuisines, especially in World of Food, but her recipes can be a bit labor-intensive for someone just learning. Both Joyce Goldstein and Clifford Wright , mentioned above, are excellent. For Spain, try Pepita Aris or Penelope Casas. For Greece I love The Food of Greece by Vilma Liacouras Chantiles or anything by Diane Kochilias. For Italian food my favorite is Biba Caggiano, although most dishes are inspired by the Bolognese region she comes from, recipes are easy to make and always scrumptious.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"