• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Other North-Jersey Dim Sum?

Jason Perlow

Other than Silver Pond in Fort Lee, Dim Sum Dynasty in Ridgewood, China 46 in Ridgefield (which isn't really dim sum, its Shanghainese) and Noodle Chu in Parsippany, what other Hong-Kong style Dim Sum parlors are there in North Jersey?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I like China Gourmet in West Orange.

Tell us about their dim sum offerings, larry.

That would be good for all subsequent posts as well, let us know when they offer dim sum (some places it's just Sunday and/or Saturday, others it is everyday), and what do they offer. Hong Kong style? otherwise?

China Gourmet has Hong Kong style dim sum on Saturdays & Sundays.

Pushcarts with your typical specialities come around: shrimp dumplings, pork dumplings, dai bao, ribs, chicken feet, etc. , as well as carts with fried items & dessert items like sesame buns, spring rolls, custard buns and something called a mexican bun that my kids love (basically a sweet roll with frosting & custard)

There is also a station near the front where they are cooking items such as clams, turnip cakes, pan fried scallion dumplings (yum!), and congee.

Waiters also circulate with large plates such as prawns and chinese broccoli.

Not that I'm recommending, but if interested, there's Majestic up in Wayne by the mall. They're buffet style, but you can sit down and order entrees off the menu (which I prefer) for dinner. If I recall, the dim sum is available in push cart style with a guy up front frying up certain items if you request it. The normal buffet has a select few dim sum items available like dumplings and such but the weekend lunch is the actual dim sum carts.

Also, I'm not a huge fan, but there's Canton Gourmet in Montvale on Chestnut Ridge Rd with push carts too. They get pretty packed on the weekends.

Then there's always King Fung supermarket in River Edge with the hot foods section where you can pick up some dim sum to go. They've also got non-HK style items too. Also not my favorite, but when you're in a bind for some dim sum, I will go to one of these places.

1 - 9 Seafood Restaurant has been discussed repeatedly.

It has? Rt 1-9 in what town?

EDIT: Never mind, its in Edison... Thats -barely- North Jersey, as its in 732 land, its about an hour from where I live according to Google Maps. It does look very good, though.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=87676

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

1&9 Seafood can be great, or not so. I've had dim sum there more than a dozen times now, including weekend cart service. It only once was "spectacular", and that was on a Friday when they were preparing the weekend stuff; on the weekends, twice, it's been 'okay' to 'good'.

The restaurant China Chef, Secaucus does qualify as a dim-sum place on weekends - it's a small place, but they have carts that circulate and provide most of the requisite stuff. It's fairly lousy, though. That doesn't stop me from going for a fix every now and then, because it's a mere 2 miles from my house. But it does answer the question of what dim sum "parlors" exist - except that this one's never better than lousy!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

After seeing that Dim Sum Dynasty got a health department :blink: conditional... :shock: I decided to go with hubby to Minado today. :cool: Maybe we can find some tastier and healthier dim sum when we head southbound!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Stacey: A "Conditional" can mean anything. You can get a Conditional for things as stupid holding ice cream or dairy products at temperatures a few degrees too high. And even four star restaurants in NYC get the occasional rodent running in and out of the kitchen. If you knew what the reality of running a restaurant kitchen was you probably wouldn't eat anywhere.

"Conditionals" should not cause you to run screaming away from restaurants. "Unsatisfactory" should.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

What Jason said.

And just to make a small observation about the nature of Dim Sum Dynasty, at least in so far as I have observed it, is that their attention in general to things is quite good. So I would not discount them because of this.

Edited by dumpling (log)