• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sri Thai --Montclair

Rosie

Is this the Thai place on Bloomfield in between Blu and the other Thai place (name escapes me...they do 'fusion' and make souffles)? Thai Chef, maybe? If so, I've been a few times, and always enjoy what I get. I'm rather partial to duck, and liked their duck salad a lot; also had the dish with duck and pineapple (by accident) and enjoyed that too. Anything else I've tasted has been fresh, well-spiced, and reasonably priced.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There are at least 3 Thai places in Montclair - Thai Chef, Sri Thai, & Tuptim.

The scuttlebutt I've run across says that Brookside Thai, on Broad St. down in Bloomfield, is better than any of them.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Uh, never mind...I was talking about Tuptim! Never can remember the name of that place...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Well, I may have to try Tuptim then, so thanks!

Thai Chef gets everything right except for the "well spiced" part, IMHO, just a little too toned-down for my taste. Nice to know there's an alternative in that area.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Tuptim used to be good...discussed on a different thread that it is terrible now..new owners I believe.

I was underwhelmed by Tuptim last time I was there. I did not return. I thought Thai Chef was far superior.

I'd like to try Brookside Thai on Broad St, now that I've read a couple of positive reviews.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, based on the places I've tried, Brookside is far and away the best Thai in the area. Though I haven't been to Wondee in Hackensack, admittedly. If it's similar to Won Dee Siam on 9th Ave. in NYC then I can imagine it's very good. Of course, all of these places pale in comparison to the supreme emperor of all Thai restaurants in the U.S., Sripraphai in Queens -- but that's a real trek from Jersey, even for such amazing food.

And as for the original topic, for whatever it's worth, the NY Times reviewed Sri Thai recently. YMMV.