• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Cocktails

Cook456

Here's a few recipes I found that make great use of pomegrante juice.

Pomegranite Martini

3 oz. Absolut Citron

2 oz. Pomegranite juice

1 oz. of Cointreau

Mix like a regular martini, strain into champagne glass.

Add a few pomegranite seeds and a curl from a lemon peel for a nice presentation.

Serves 1.

POM-TINI 1

2 ounces pomegranate or citrus vodka

2 ounces pomegranate juice

Juice of one lemon

1 ounce simple syrup

Simple syrup is 1 part sugar 1 part water heated til the sugar disolves

Shake well with ice until condensation begins to form on shaker, then strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a lemon wedge.

Not a pom 'tini, but a Pom cocktail.

2 Oz. rye

1/4 Oz. Pommagrante molassas

1/2 Oz. simple syrup

3/4 Oz. lemon juice

3 dash Orange bitters

Shake, serve up. garnish with a flamed orange twist.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 2 weeks later...

Tried making a pomegranite martini using

2 shotsstraight vodka

1 shot triple sec

2 fresh pom. juice

half a lime

shaken with crushed ice

garnished with rose petals

tasted ok.. but seems to be missing something.. needs to be really chilled

• 2 weeks later...

Long article about pomegranate cocktails in today's SF Chronicle Wine section:

Drink to your health with pomegranates, Leah Greenstein

Pomegranates are mythical and sensual, with rusty skins and regal crowns that peel away to reveal tiny little gemstones that deliver bursts of piquant flavor. They're challenging to eat, staining hands and tongues, which explains some of the appeal of drinking their juice. Using pomegranate juice instead of cranberry in a cosmopolitan imparts depth to the drink: a sweet-tart, slightly tannic flavor and stunning garnet color that is extremely alluring.

It includes recipes for a "Pomegranate Martini" from the Martini House in St. Helena and the "Regina Viola" from Santi in Geyserville.

Funny they don't mention making your own grenadine; but, I guess since all the bartenders interviewed are skipping grenadine altogether it would be superfluous to the subject.

It seems, the field of pomegranate vodkas will soon be crowded with contenders.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Our favorite is the juniperitvo.

gin

mint

lime juice

pomegranite molasses

Very fabulous

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Our favorite is the juniperitvo.

gin

mint

lime juice

pomegranite molasses

What's your recipe? Have you tried different brands of gin and/or pom. molasses? Any preferences?

Thanks.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

From the Pegu Club thread in the NY Forum:

This is a great sweet-sour drink created by Jerri Banks.
Juniperotivo

2.0 oz : Junipero gin

1.0 oz : fresh lime juice

1.0 oz : simple syrup

0.5 oz : pomegranate molasses

2 sprigs of mint

Shake all ingredients vigorously with ice.  Strain into chilled cocktail glass and garnish with mint leaf.

This is one drink where the brand of gin makes a big difference. There really is no substitute for Junipero in this one, although Tanqueray might do in a pinch.

The name of this drink is curiously commonly misspelled, even on bar menus. It is Juniperotivo, after Junipero gin, but one does see Juniperitivo. Regardless, it's a tasty drink and, like the Last Word, is fairly friendly to modification with other spirits.

--

Wow- I just made a Juniperotivo and it's blowing me away, it's so good. My hubby has the Junipero bottle at work (it's been a hard week), so I used Plymouth gin. I have to state that I am not a gin drinker, but this little cocktail might change that. Thanks.

My pomegranate molasses is on the brownish side, so the drink looks a little muddy-colored. But the tart-sweet taste makes up for that in spades. YUM!

Karen

It really doesn't take more than three bricks and a fire to cook a meal, a sobering reminder that it's the individual who makes the food, not the equipment. --Niloufer Ichaporia King

FamilyStyle Food

[...] My hubby has the Junipero bottle at work (it's been a hard week), so I used Plymouth gin. I have to state that I am not a gin drinker, but this little cocktail might [...]

Uh, I wish I could work somewhere where the Junipero bottle wouldn't be noticed!?

Really, it's just a "juniper tonic"?!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The name of this drink is curiously commonly misspelled, even on bar menus.  It is Juniperotivo, after Junipero gin, but one does see Juniperitivo....

Thanks, Sam. Guess that explains why my search came up empty. I thought this cocktail had been discussed here previously.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

FWIW, I like the Al-Wadi brand of pomegranate molasses, which is what most of the good bars around NYC seem to use.

Flatiron Lounge seems to have quite the way with pomegranate. Seems like I've had a number of drinks with pomegranate there over the years, including their outstanding "pomegranate martini" which I believe is called something like the Persephone.

--

The Carlo brand is the most commonly available on the West Coast.

Idle question, they make both a "Pomegranate Concentrate" and a "Pomegranate Molasses". Is the Molasses just a more concentrated version of the same thing?

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

FWIW, I like the Al-Wadi brand of pomegranate molasses, which is what most of the good bars around NYC seem to use.

I use the Al-Wadi because it's available close to home at Kalustyan's. A fresh bottle is a good thing. I recently endeavored to make a batch of JuniperOtivos (thanks Sam) with an old bottle of Al-Wadi pomegranite molasses. Not good. The color was brown and the acidity mostly gone. Illogically I had to use more to get the same sweetness. I ended up using a little Pom, extra mint and doing this and that to rescue the drink. Wasn't terrible but also wasn't my finest hour. That bottle ended up in the trash.

I've used Boodles, Miller's and Junipero. Like 'em all. I'm inclined to think using a gin like Tanqueray would result in disaster.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Try this one...

Fill glass with ice. Fill 3/4 of the glass with Stoli Peach, then top off with Pom Wonderful Mango. Sounds like it would be too strong, but trust me you can't even taste the alcohol--this drink goes down so smooth.

• 1 month later...

Really, really like Pama pomegranite liquer! It just takes so sublime! My friend randomly started to mix it with other drinks, and it doesn't seem to come off strong or weird. I particularly liked the mix involving 1/4 cup Pama, 1/2 cup lemon/lime soda, 1/4 cup strawberry juice.java script:emoticon(':raz:')

I just bought a bottle of the Pama as well. How should one convert recipes that use pomegranate juice into amount of Pama?

Kent:

I have to be honest. I really like the Pama, but find it tastes more like a splash of cranberry juice in a drink than Pomegranate. Pom Wonderful juice brings a whole lot more pom-y flavor to the party at a fraction of the cost. It also doesn't add any additional alcohol, which when making martini-type almost-all-booze drinks, matters a bit to me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

See: Y'all can afford to buy random liqueurs 'cause you're in the business! IMHO, Pama is just not worth stocking a home bar. I'll go with amari, umpteen orange brandy variations, etc., but I have no use for fruity-flavored booze of that sort.

I'm still infinitely more fond of pomegranate molasses than juice, and it's darn cheap.

My favorite option is the Pom'Tini:

3 vodka

2 pomegranate juice (or 1 1/2 pomegranate molasses)

2 grapefruit juice

1/2 lime juice

1 honey syrup

1 simple syrup (or 1/2 if using molasses)

1/2 velvet falernum

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

• 6 years later...

I made a Juniperotivo the other night when I realized that I had a bottle of pomegranate molasses that I had bought a few weeks ago and never used. I liked the astringent character of the drink, which reminds me of Campari-based cocktails. It's a very approachable aperitif cocktail. It's interesting how the pomegranate seemed to temper the Junipero quite a bit. I imagine that I milder gin would get completely lost in this cocktail.

8246453412_168e29f815_z.jpg