• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Eds....ribs...best in NJ??

theslag

Hi all:

I love Big Ed's ribs..been there many times...so far everyone I took there wanted to go back. I think they are the best in NJ or for that matter other cities that I have been too...

But what does everyone on this group feel about Big Eds...

RB

Big Ed's is in Old Bridge, on Route 34 near Perrine Road. They have been there quite a number of years. We went there not long after they first opened and thought the food quite good. However, they permit smoking and still do not have a "No Smoking" section, so we have never been back.

The Man,The Myth mentioned Belmar. Well, we have recently discovered that there is a very good rib place there called Atlantic BBQ. It's been there for several years, a very unfancy joint with only a couple of booths. (Looks like it might at one time have been a pizza place.) But it's the ribs that count, and those served there are, in my estimation, mighty tasty. Great homemade barbecue sauce and lots of homemade sides. Lots of other items as well. Check out their website:

Atlantic BBQ

Yes both Big Eds are owned by the same folks and churn out the same bogus commercial BBQ, slathered in sickly sweet sauce to ensure the flavor of pork is not evident.

I agree that the tiny Atlantic BBQ in Belmar is better for spares, but for baybybacks I'd have to go with Memphis Pigout in Atlantic Highlands, or what I consider the ultimate babyback slab, Armadillo Crossing in South Belmar.

Of course none of these places comes close to my ribs, but then I've not crossed forks with Col Klink either... :raz:

Armadillo Crossing Online

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak