• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food artisans in Cambridge/Boston?

I'm teaching a culinary anthropology class for seventh graders in Cambridge this summer, and we'll be discussing handmade vs. mass produced food. I'm thinking about either having them visit some sort of artisan (a cheesemaker, a dairy farmer, etc.) or asking one to come visit us. Any recommendations in the Cambridge/Boston area?

Thanks!

I have a book called "A Food Lover's Guide to Boston" which has what you are looking for. Unfortunately, my cellar flooded and we boxed up all the books and I can't get to it right now. However, I checked on Amazon and they do have it. Also, you might want to shoot an email over to the Globe to see if they have any thoughts. They run those short bits on Wednesday's food section showcasing new products. I'd also call the extension service.

Does Herrell's still make their ice cream on site? That might be a nice trip- you could compare it to Brighams. Also, what about one of the bakeries? Marino Lookout Farms in Wellesley is an interesting place for kids. We get our milk from Hornestra Farms in Hingham, but their cows moved up to VT a few years ago. You might want to see if Crescent Ridge Dairy has some cows locally.

What a cool class. If my boys were a little older they'd be all over it.

what about a cheese affineur?

at formaggio kitchen they could learn the fifference between a slice of american and the real thing....

and at hi-rise bakery one can see the bakers work in an open kitchen

Well, Formaggio Kitchen have a cheese cave and ages cheeses there as well as curing a few meats. At Arax in Watertown, you have beautiful Armenian food cooked and solf from the store's hidden kitchen. Hi-Rise Bakery is pretty darn artisanal and so is Iggy's for that matter.

I'm teaching a culinary anthropology class for seventh graders in Cambridge this summer, and we'll be discussing handmade vs. mass produced food. I'm thinking about either having them visit some sort of artisan (a cheesemaker, a dairy farmer, etc.) or asking one to come visit us. Any recommendations in the Cambridge/Boston area?

Thanks!

"Sauces N' Love" used to be in Somerville/Union square-- they do high quality Italian sauces...you can find the sauces at Whole Foods.

http://www.newenglandcheese.com/allabout/types.html

can also get you to regional cheese artisans...

KV

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing