• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daniel Boulud cast iron cookware

Lori in PA

I've had to watch my tendency to envy Marlene ever since I saw her LC buffet/braiser pot. I'm the proud owner of a 9 qt LC oval French oven, but I've felt the "need" for a shallow braising vessel for ribs and such. At TJ Maxx's yesterday, I saw a Daniel Boulud 5 qt. "braising roaster" that looks very nice. I brought it home with me, but 2 things may make me return it:

1. Hearing from egulleteers that the quality isn't up to snuff

2. Hearing from The Husband that $40 is still not enough bargain for our budget. :hmmm:

So, what say ye?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I've had to watch my tendency to envy Marlene ever since I saw her LC buffet/braiser pot.  I'm the proud owner of a 9 qt LC oval French oven, but I've felt the "need" for a shallow braising vessel for ribs and such.  At TJ Maxx's yesterday, I saw a Daniel Boulud 5 qt. "braising roaster" that looks very nice.  I brought it home with me, but 2 things may make me return it:

1.  Hearing from egulleteers that the quality isn't up to snuff

2.  Hearing from The Husband that $40 is still not enough bargain for our budget.  :hmmm:

So, what say ye?

I just bought a large shallow La Creuset roasting pan at my local thrift store for the equivalent of 2 dollars. I have found several Wüsthof and Sabatier knives, loads of La Creuset as well as countless old copper pots.

You would be surprised what you can find at a thrift store! I suppose garage sales would yield equal treasures.

I've had to watch my tendency to envy Marlene ever since I saw her LC buffet/braiser pot.  I'm the proud owner of a 9 qt LC oval French oven, but I've felt the "need" for a shallow braising vessel for ribs and such.  At TJ Maxx's yesterday, I saw a Daniel Boulud 5 qt. "braising roaster" that looks very nice.  I brought it home with me, but 2 things may make me return it:

2.  Hearing from The Husband that $40 is still not enough bargain for our budget.  :hmmm:

So, what say ye?

I just bought a large shallow La Creuset roasting pan at my local thrift store for the equivalent of 2 dollars. I have found several Wüsthof and Sabatier knives, loads of La Creuset as well as countless old copper pots.

You would be surprised what you can find at a thrift store! I suppose garage sales would yield equal treasures.

When I browse through thrift shops I never find LC or Sabatier or French copper. But I did buy a medium size LC knock off (La Campagne) at Hudson's Bay for about $40. It has been superb, for what it is supposed to do, for three years. And no chips or cracks, though I was warned that I might expect this by an egulleter. I am really hard on my gear, but this Chinese casserole has worked out well, and I would buy another.

No more opinions on Boulud cast iron cookware?  I'm trying to decide whether to keep it, so speak up!

Lori, sorry I don't know anything about the Boulud cookware, but I found my Le Crueset oval braising casserole at a store that sells overstocks, leftovers, etc., called "Home Goods". It has a couple of minor imperfections that don't affect the cooking at all. I also found a fabulous large Staub there for 1/2 normal retail price.

There are also LC outlets, in fact I think I remember one at an outlet mall near the PA-NJ border that I stopped at.

I think if you look around for these types of stores, you can get the best quality for less money (but maybe not $40, I would think $80-90 instead of retail of well over $100).

Good luck in your decision!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I recall seeing these in a discount store, TJMaxx I think, a year or two ago and thinking they looked okay. You would have to pay about $100 for an LC second of that size in one of these stores. How does the enamel look to you? Any cracks or chips? The color okay? That is, the lid matches the bottom and doesn't look like a manufacturing error?

Your budget is up to you, but the price is about right.

The ones I remember at TJ Maxx and Marshall's a year or two ago were the Paul Bocuse versions of Staub, which were actually manufactured by Staub/Nomar. I should have bought them all.

I don't think there's much risk in buying the knockoffs and secondary brands. To the best of my knowledge, the enameled cast-iron production process is not terribly complex. It's not like bonding copper to stainless steel, which is highly specialized. And in this case, you have the Boulud name to rely on -- I think he was actually developing the pieces, rather than just licensing his name. I think his DBK products were generally well regarded, but just didn't do all that well at retail because the markets are so impenetrable. So I see a lot of them in clearance sections, which is probably a good opportunity.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't think there's much risk in buying the knockoffs and secondary brands. To the best of my knowledge, the enameled cast-iron production process is not terribly complex.

Hear, hear! I give a lot of credit to Le Creuset for maintaing their brand's mystique and their obscene pricing, but any good piece of thoughtfully designed and well-made enameled cast iron will do the job just as well. Not feeling ripped off is a happy side-effect. Those little lidded pumpkin casseroles, for example, are the cutest things! But that's big bucks for stuff that in most kitchens will be mostly decoration.

Of course, I'd happily unwrap a piece of Le Creuset if you send me one for my upcoming birthday. But I'd be glad knowing you didn't pay full price -- and some discounted Staub, Boulud et al would be just as welcome.

(Other brands of enameled cast iron have actually outperformed my LeC over time.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I picked up most of my LC on ebay. The outlet in NJ is in Flemington. Prices are still high there, except when they have a sale. There's some good deals on Staub on QVC.

The ones I remember at TJ Maxx and Marshall's a year or two ago were the Paul Bocuse versions of Staub, which were actually manufactured by Staub/Nomar. I should have bought them all.

I don't think there's much risk in buying the knockoffs and secondary brands. To the best of my knowledge, the enameled cast-iron production process is not terribly complex. It's not like bonding copper to stainless steel, which is highly specialized. And in this case, you have the Boulud name to rely on -- I think he was actually developing the pieces, rather than just licensing his name. I think his DBK products were generally well regarded, but just didn't do all that well at retail because the markets are so impenetrable. So I see a lot of them in clearance sections, which is probably a good opportunity.

You're right!

Also watch out for the annual Williams-Sonoma sale if you want to pick up LC at a best price. Whenever they bring in a new LC color, they discount the old one substantially. For example, one year I got the 9 1/2 qt oval for $90. Another year the large rectangular baking pan for $39.

So, what say ye?

I think you got a pretty good deal. Amazon seems to sell the whole range at prices comparable to what you paid.

Did a google search on Daniel Boulud Cookware, but couldn't find any reviews.

Strongly suspect that you've got a good pot at a good price

No more opinions on Boulud cast iron cookware?  I'm trying to decide whether to keep it, so speak up!

There is no reason it shouldn't work well. Enamel coated cast iron is not rocket science. Mario Batali makes one too that is very good. The French pots are always alot more expensive for various reasons, however, comparable pots that cook just as well are made using cheaper labor not materials. Use it and ejoy it! You got a deal.

i have a daniel boulud piece that i believe is the same one you refer to. i picked it up at marshalls for around $40. i like it alot. it has higher straighter sides than the equivalent piece in LC, so it holds alot more. i braise with it often.

After much dithering -- wants vs. needs, ya know -- I decided to keep it. I made Sort Of Beef Paprika in it last night for dinner with chuck steaks. I think I made the right decision re the pot -- very nice to use and a terrific size complement to my 9 1/2 qt. LC. The thing I liked best was that, unlike my LC, the dish maintained a perfect simmer on the lowest setting of my "simmer" eye. Now I have to figure out where to store the thing...

Thanks for all the advice -- it helped me make my decision more confidently.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Lori, congrats. That braiser pot looks very nice. Is the handle easy to grasp? It's hard to tell from the pictures of it that I saw on Amazon. Next up, try some short ribs in it!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Boulud at Bloomies some months back. A very nice personable fellow. I had asked him about this cast iron line and whether it was being expanded. He said it wasn't going to be and cited quality issues. I think another reason why his line failed and Batali's line didn't was because cast iron wasn't tied very closely with his type of cooking, where Batali's line was more closely tied with his Italian style of cooking. Batali's line is successful because it has an identity, concept, image, and a reason for being. It's a very well designed and well thought out line. I think the Boulud pieces are very nice though, and well made. I didn't care though for the white interior on the Boulud red and grey pieces, and liked the solid white and black ones better.

So, what say ye?

I have to admit I was constantly jealous of pics of everyone's wonderous LC enamel/cast iron pots but just couldn't stomach the cost. I searched e-Bay, looked at outlet stores and then read of a line that I think SLKinsey mentioned was available at Target and he had some good things to say for it.

That started a search of Targets with no success.

I finally found this:

gallery_28847_1134_93882.jpg

It was found at Fred Meyer's, a west coast (I think) superstore akin to a Wal-Mart superstore, for $39.99.

While I am still a braising newbie, it seems to perform well and washes up like a dream, even when I reheated some pork chili verde on the stove at too hot a temp and it stuck like hell... a little Bar-Keepers Friend and a VERY little elbow grease and it shone like new.

The enamel is in good condition (no flaws this newbie eye can see) and the lid has a very nice fit.

It's marked "Innova" on the bottom. It's a 5 qt. and I don't know if more sizes are available, but I'm not ready for them anyway.

Other than the unique sizes, shapes and colors, I don't think LC or Batali is for me right now. Doesn't stop my coveting of other's pots tough! :laugh:

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Julia, that is just what I've been looking for. I have been to discount stores all over my town looking for porcelain cast iron and found LC irregulars for $120. I have seen other "no name brands" that weren't so cheap either. I too can't bring myself to spend near $100 for one pot. I found the Innova 5 qt at SmartBargin via Amazon but save an additional 12% through Smartbargin directly as a new customer. $39 shipped.

Just received my pot today. The finish inside and out looks great. The brand I received was Kitchen Select. On the bottom is says Color Cast. The lid is heavy and fits tight with no room to slide. Even better than the LC I've seen. The only color available was green but that was perfect since it matches the kitchen. I'll have to give it a try this weekend. I only wish more sizes and shapes were available.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)