• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Magnetic chocolate molds

sote23

This is probably going to sound very stupid (...), but could you say more about the "magnetic" mold? Why is it magnetic?

no question is stupid.

a magnetic mold is a 2 part mold. the bottom comes apart, then you can put a transfer sheet on the bottom and mold as usual. when the chocolate sets, the pattern will be on the chocolate.

here is an example of one.

http://jbprince.com/index.asp?PageAction=V...ROD&ProdID=3399

It'll probably be ok. Rinse it well then wipe it out with straight vinegar on some cheesecloth, rinse again and buff dry. The vinegar will help loosen any soap residue that's left. (If it'll take dishsoap off a black SUV - Yes I AM that stupid! - then it'll take it off plastic too I'd expect.)

I don't generally wash my molds with dishsoap but have had to at times. Rinse well as sugarella suggests, polish them well and mold in them once or twice to reestablish a cocoa butter surface.

I don't generally wash my molds with dishsoap but have had to at times. Rinse well as sugarella suggests, polish them well and mold in them once or twice to reestablish a cocoa butter surface.

Kerry's right. You really need to mold once or twice to re-establish the microscopic cocoa butter layer on the plastic, so that afterwards your finished pieces will pop out smoothly and full of glossy shine. Don't count on these "repair" moldings being perfect. Re-use the chocolate, of course.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

It'll probably be ok. Rinse it well then wipe it out with straight vinegar on some cheesecloth, rinse again and buff dry. The vinegar will help loosen any soap residue that's left. (If it'll take dishsoap off a black SUV - Yes I AM that stupid! - then it'll take it off plastic too I'd expect.)

lol, i've heard vinager will take water spots off of a car along with the paint if your not careful.

• 6 years later...

I intend to purchase a couple of magnetic molds for chocolates. Most standard places (J.B. Prince, Bakedeco, e.g.) have them for around $47, but I note that Tomric's are $67. Is there some significant difference I should be aware of? Perhaps metal vs. plastic base? It appears that most produce chocolates that are approx. 1/2" tall. Is that a correct assumption? (I ask because I have had trouble with buying regular molds that vary too much in size--not all sites provide the weight of chocolate the cavity holds (J.B. Prince does not) and the dimensions of the cavity have limited usefulness for judging how large the praline will be).

Thanks for any help.

Most of the molds are about 1/2" tall. Chocolat Chocolat in Montreal has a lot of molds, but with the exchange rate, the prices vary. They do provide the dimensions of the molds, which is helpful. I've bought most of mine from BakeDeco. They seem to have the best prices. Tomric and Chef Rubber seem to be the most expensive. There's no difference that I've seen in them. I only have one that has a metal back, and I got it from someone online. No difference in metal or plastic in how they come out. In my experience, most of the chocolates I've made weigh about 1/2 oz, give or take.

Most of the molds are about 1/2" tall. Chocolat Chocolat in Montreal has a lot of molds, but with the exchange rate, the prices vary. They do provide the dimensions of the molds, which is helpful. I've bought most of mine from BakeDeco. They seem to have the best prices. Tomric and Chef Rubber seem to be the most expensive. There's no difference that I've seen in them. I only have one that has a metal back, and I got it from someone online. No difference in metal or plastic in how they come out. In my experience, most of the chocolates I've made weigh about 1/2 oz, give or take.

Thanks very much for replying. It is exactly the information I needed.

• 3 years later...

I'm adding to this old topic because I am having a new issue with some magnetic molds. The ones with plastic (as opposed to metal) bottoms are in some cases losing their magnets--that is, some of the magnets come out when I am removing the bottom (and stick to the magnets embedded in the bottom). I am concerned that I am going to misplace these loose magnets. There is no brand name on the molds, but I bought them at J.B. Prince (those of you who make chocolates would readily recognize them: one round with scalloped edges, the other rectangular with notched edges). Is there a food-safe glue that could be used to restick the magnets into the top part of the mold? Thanks for any advice.

@Jim D. The magnets don't touch the chocolate so I would not worry about food safe.  I'd try a thin super glue, the only problem with something thicker like hot glue is that it could be too thick a layer and leave a gap at the bottom of the mold when the two pieces are together.  I do have a mold that's lost a magnet or two, I'm just more careful when tapping the bubbles out so it stays together.

8 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

@Jim D. The magnets don't touch the chocolate so I would not worry about food safe.  I'd try a thin super glue, the only problem with something thicker like hot glue is that it could be too thick a layer and leave a gap at the bottom of the mold when the two pieces are together.  I do have a mold that's lost a magnet or two, I'm just more careful when tapping the bubbles out so it stays together.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I just spent half an hour looking for the where missing magnets had landed, so I am motivated to solve the issue.