• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First time in Hawaii

ghost

I'm currently in Honolulu at Waikiki Beach. I'm here on my honeymoon and I nor my wife have ever been here before. Anyone care to give me a list of good places to eat? A few fine dining and more casual dinig establishments would be great. We have a car so we can drive around a bit. There is only so much hotel food a palate can take before it shuts down.

Also, I've never had sushi before, I know its sad, but I've never had it. I figure an island in the middle of the Pacific is a great place to start. Any sushi recommendations for a beginner?? ;-)

Thanks!!

Edited by ghost (log)
WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

Congratulations!

Check out these other threads in the Hawaii forum:

Fine Dining in Honolulu, Experience and Recommendations

and

Oahu Recommendations, No Frills Please

For a very reliable (but somewhat pricey) traditional sushi experience, I'd suggest Yanagi Sushi. (Needs reservations.)

Yanagi Sushi

808-597-1525

762 Kapiolani Blvd.

Honolulu

There are also the cheap conveyor-belt sushi chains like Genki Sushi. Not the best quality, but cheap and fun. They have a branch on Kapahulu Avenue just outside Waikiki, and another in Ala Moana shopping center.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

wow - i get to paste this link twice in one day:

http://www.onokinegrindz.com/

if you look to the side, he's got his entries split up by location, and I believe he's based in Oahu.

Couple of places I intend to try on Oahu:

Mariposa (Ala Moana Shopping Center - it's in a department store)

The Kahuku Shrimp Trucks

Zippys

And Matsumoto's Shave Ice on the North Shore.

Mariposa will be closed 5/29 - 6/15 for kitchen renovation. We had lunch yesterday at

the Mermaid bar on the 3rd floor and it was quite good, had a nice view as well. I would

say though that the Buffalo Chicken spinach salad runs just under being exploitive in

seasoning and the dressing was over abundant, if you like mushrooms - which I don't - there

are PLENTY! My dining companion was the happy recipient. A hui hou :raz:

Mariposa and the Mermaid Bar are in Neiman Marcus.

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

well good - i'm not gonna be there until September, so hopefully the Mariposa renovation will be all done, and they will be in fine form.

Have y'all done any of the High Teas at the various hotels?

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to be in Waikiki anyway, try going to Todai (1910 Ala Moana Ave-808-947-1000) for their sushi buffet. They have more than sushi and for the price, it's worth it for lunch (dinner is pricier, but they offer crab legs at night).

Miulang

Second rec for Todai Sushi. It was a really good experience.

ghost, you and I probably rubbed elbows on Waikiki. My wife and I were there from the 23rd through the 30th of May.

If you have a military ID, one of the best deals on Waikiki is eating at any of the restaurants at Hale Koa. No-star prices, 4-star food. If you haven't a military ID, you can still use two of their snack shacks that are right there on Waikiki. Look for Ft Derussey, and if you can find that, you can find Hale Koa.

Also, if you have a chance, go up to North Shore and have some fruit from the fruit shacks and shrimp from the shrimp shacks. You won't be disappointed.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I like Makino Chaya on King more than Todai's. Makino Chaya is AYCE but you can order items off a menus (3 at at time) as well as go to the regular buffet line. Ironically, Makino Chaya is owned by the former owner of Todai.