• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Melter/Holder

I had a chance to use my new melter on the weekend. I would've posted sooner, but I've been battling a head cold this week. (guh)

Anyway, I meant to let the chocolate melt overnight, but forgot to set it up. So first thing in the morning, I put my chocolate in and turned the melter up to about 50° for 4 hours (as instructed on the Mol d'Art site). After that time, the chocolate was only about half melted, so I put the cover back on and let it go for a couple more hours. It still hadn't melted fully, and the temperature by thermometer was only about 35°. So at that point I poured the chocolate into a glass bowl, melted it fully, and returned it to the melter to seed and temper. It seemed great! I tested temper and it was perfect. And what a joy to not have to keep returning the bowl to the microwave to bring it back up to temperature.

However... I only got about half of my items dipped before I noticed the chocolate was getting thicker and thicker. I checked temperature and it was still good. I checked with another thermometer, just in case, and yes it was good. I had been stirring regularly as I dipped. And even with the thick chocolate, all the items I dipped set up nicely so I'm confident it hadn't gone out of temper.

Here's the thing. I'd made Peter Greweling's strawberry balsamic ganache. The recipe called for tempered white chocolate, but I'd read that while he always calls for tempered chocolate, a lot of people don't bother. Well, I was lazy and didn't bother tempering it. I just melted it and added it to the mix. It ended up a nice smooth creamy ganache... but it never really set up. It stayed quite soft and gooey. Could the chocolate have picked up enough moisture from this ganache that it would seize? Or is the problem that it was melted for such a long period of time?

Sadly, I didn't have any cocoa butter to try thinning it out, so I put the remaining ganache in the fridge and poured the leftover chocolate out on some parchment. Worst comes to worst, I'll use that chocolate in baking.

Any ideas?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I make that recipe all the time and it will set up when the room is cool enough. I sometimes have to put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Even though my room is about 70, it still seems to like it cooler. I have piped it into shells when it is really soft, and it always firms up.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Another question on melters. I have an 80# Hillliard that I have had for almost 30 years and I love it. I need/want another one. I have a chance to buy a used Savage 50# tempering melter for about half the price of a used Hilliard. Does anyone have any experience with a Savage?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

If whatever you're dipping hasn't set-up, then contamination of the chocolate can be an issue. How did you dip it if the ganache hadn't set up?

When dipping, I expect that the chocolate will become thicker and thicker (due to an over abundance of beta crystals) as I work. I always keep a heat gun by the melter to hit the chocolate from time to time to keep it fluid. You just have to be careful not to overheat it and, therefore, move it out of temper. Stir well!

Also, if your chocolate hasn't melted after x hours you can just warm the top with your heat gun until it's soft enough to cut up into chunks.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

When dipping, I expect that the chocolate will become thicker and thicker (due to an over abundance of beta crystals) as I work.  I always keep a heat gun by the melter to hit the chocolate from time to time to keep it fluid.  You just have to be careful not to overheat it and, therefore, move it out of temper.  Stir well!

Hmmm. I need to buy a heat gun.

So before I had the melter, when I had to keep re-heating in the microwave to keep temperature, did that do the same thing as using a heat gun as far as keeping the chocolate liquid?

If whatever you're dipping hasn't set-up, then contamination of the chocolate can be an issue.  How did you dip it if the ganache hadn't set up?

The ganache wasn't completely liquidy, but it wouldn't hold its shape if it was touched or handled in any way. It was probably the texture of soft butter. I pre-bottomed with a layer of chocolate and that helped the pieces hold their shape and gave me something to hold onto while I dropped them into the chocolate.

wanna come with?

When dipping, I expect that the chocolate will become thicker and thicker (due to an over abundance of beta crystals) as I work.  I always keep a heat gun by the melter to hit the chocolate from time to time to keep it fluid.  You just have to be careful not to overheat it and, therefore, move it out of temper.  Stir well!

So before I had the melter, when I had to keep re-heating in the microwave to keep temperature, did that do the same thing as using a heat gun as far as keeping the chocolate liquid?

If whatever you're dipping hasn't set-up, then contamination of the chocolate can be an issue.  How did you dip it if the ganache hadn't set up?

The ganache wasn't completely liquidy, but it wouldn't hold its shape if it was touched or handled in any way. It was probably the texture of soft butter. I pre-bottomed with a layer of chocolate and that helped the pieces hold their shape and gave me something to hold onto while I dropped them into the chocolate.

emmalish, you can also just use the microwave as before. Reheat a small portion and mix it in, and then you don't need a heat gun.

In his book, JPW recommends not to use cocoa butter once it's thickened. slight heating is the way to go. Actually, JPW mentions something else- an alternative to the heat gun is to keep on raising the temperature slightly over time, up to 93.5 for dark chocolate. The bottom will be undertempered, the top will be overtempered, and when you mix them it will be perfect.

emmalish, you can also just use the microwave as before. Reheat a small portion and mix it in, and then you don't need a heat gun.

In his book, JPW recommends not to use cocoa butter once it's thickened. slight heating is the way to go. Actually, JPW mentions something else- an alternative to the heat gun is to keep on raising the temperature slightly over time, up to 93.5 for dark chocolate. The bottom will be undertempered, the top will be overtempered, and when you mix them it will be perfect.

And yet, a heat gun (or hair dryer) is an immensely helpful tool in the chocolate maker's arsenal.

Yes, adding some already melted chocolate to the thickening batch and/or raising the temperature will work, too.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Morning all.

Just got the go ahead to post, so this will be the first one. I am really looking forward to being part of these discussions.

Hairdryers work great, but what I use is a student-type lamp with a heat bulb. This is the red type of bulb you see in heting lights at carved beef stations and serving windows.

In the morning I will find a "crust" on my couveture when I take off the lid, so I just swing over the heat lamp, arrange the bulb about 8-10" from the surface of the couveture, give it a brief stir, and do something else for a few minutes, give it a stir, then turn off the lamp and do a sample dip on a spatula.

It was a cool weekend here, so I decided to try this again. This time with a heat gun.

I made a couple batches of caramels this time. I wanted to try the chocolate I'd had a problem with last time to see whether it was contaminated or just overcrystallized. It melted and tempered perfectly, so it was just overcrystallized.

Having both the melter and the heat gun? Made this such a painless process! Thanks everyone who's helped me wrap my head around working with tempered chocolate! :wub:

wanna come with?

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone heard of the CALORIBAC melter or temperer (Im not sure which, in some places Ive looked its listed as a melter and in others a temperer)?

Thanks in advance

It's a melter. I bought one recently, and perhaps its a problem with just this one unit, but the temperature is not stable. The temperature goes too high with no adjustment on the dial.

If it's a choice between this one and the Mol d'art - I'd go for the Mol d'art. A really nice thing about the Mol d'art is the removable bowl. The caloribac is all one piece so hard to keep clean.

Which reminds me - got to see if I'm too late to take it back!

Thanks Kerry, I had a feeling it was a melter. In my case its this or nothing as its the only one Ive found here (israel) and its too expensive for me to order from abroad. Id rather get nothing than rubbish

If you purchase it and have the same problem, you could plug it in to an inexpensive PID controller and get good temperature control that way. It does mean having a wire over the side and a thermometer in the bottom, but it would control it well.

I haven't heard they are unreliable - I think mine might just be a lemon.

gallery_60187_6088_35680.jpg

I just brought these 3 beauties home. I have them cleaned up and just waiting for some instructions on how to use them. They are Savage tempering melters. Anyone have any experience with them?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

gallery_60187_6088_35680.jpg

I just brought these 3 beauties home.  I have them cleaned up and just waiting for some instructions on how to use them.  They are Savage tempering melters.  Anyone have any experience with them?

Oh Ruth, those are real purdy...

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone :)

Has anyone heard of or had experience with KeyChoc Melting/Holding Tanks? It would be easier for me to get that a Mol d'art but if it is no good then Ill wait

Thanks

They look good - the small one looks like the opening might be a bit small for pouring molds. They are certainly more reasonably priced than the Mol d'art.

Thanks for your reply Kerry :smile: , Im thinking of getting the 8k. It would work out cheaper than the Mol d'art as Id save on customs and postage but I dont want to get it if its unreliable etc, I googled it but there isn't much info on it.

Will the company give you some references of people who have bought them?

Hadnt thought to ask. I sent them an email requesting information about the weight etc (hoping to con a friend into bringing it when she comes to visit )and am waiting for a reply. They sound like a solid/good company as they have been in business for nearly 40 years and have been appointed as the long term ‘Official Machinery Partner’ of the Barry Callebaut UK Chocolate Academy.

Hadnt thought to ask. I sent them an email requesting information about the weight etc (hoping to con a friend into bringing it when she comes to visit )and am waiting for a reply. They sound like a solid/good company as they have been in business for nearly 40 years and have been appointed as the long term ‘Official Machinery Partner’ of the Barry Callebaut UK Chocolate Academy.

A phone call to the Academy would probably give you your answer then if you talked to the right person.

I've got a few "quibbles" with the Mol d'art, most of which have to do with design, the actual performance is good.

1) The "on/off" button is AT THE BACK OF THE MACHINE. This is a rocker switch and can be accidently switched off. The thermostat dial is at the front as is the thermostat light, thus if the machine is up against a wall and is accidentaly turned off, you have no way of knowing other than to quickly raise the thermostat knob to see if the light comes on, or to move the machine bck and havbe a peek at the behind. Why they can't have the on/off switch at the front, or combined with the thermostat is beyond my comprehension.

2) The material of the machine is made of plastic, polystyrine, I think, and is screwed on to the base. No matter how gentle you are, you will develop stress cracks in the housing, especially around the screws and in the inside corners of the cavity. I guess this doesn't make a big difference in the performance of the machine, but when you fork out $800 and the thing deveops cracks after 6 mths, it kinda ticks you off a bit.

3) The machine is European, which is good, but the Europeans use "euro-norm" hotel pans, and the N.Americans use "gastro-norm". The differences are slight, with Euro-norm have more radiused corners, but Gastro-norm will not fitin these machines. Most people like to keep several hotel pans of couveture warm and untempered, and then have one pan of, say, white, work with it, then, and you drop in a new pan of hot, untempered milk, temper it off, work with it, then go on to dark. To order additonal pans from the Mnfctr is quite expensive, and the N.American ones won't fit, and you only get blank stares when you want to order Euro-norm pans from a local restaurant supplier.

As I stated above, the quibbles about "Mol d'art" melters only deal with design, the performance is quite good. Still, it's a lot of money for a melter and these issues should be dealt with by the Mnfctr.

I have 3 Mol d'art melters, purchased several years ago, and have had none of the problems you specify.

1) No rocker switch on mine, just the thermostat dial; so, there's no chance of accidentally turning it off.

2) I appreciate the light weight easy to clean construction - even though it's plastic, there have been no stress fractures after several years of use

3) When I purchased the melters, I assumed I'd want extra pans to swap out so I got extra ones at the time of purchase. Definitely pays to plan ahead in this regard.

YMMV

John DePaula
--------------------