• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

E. M. Pashman

E. M. Pashman

I have seen..and whacked the new Schott Zwiesel glasses, using titanium and zirconium instead of lead. Whacked it on the bowl and whacked it on the rim. Wow! At least two ranges as far as I can tell -- the classico at about $7.50 per stem and the Top Ten at about $15 per stem. Schott Zwiesel

Is anyone using these?

Schott-Zwiesel's titanium-zirconium crystal (marketed under the name "Tritan") really is tough stuff. I had one of their maxi Bordeaux stems while in college, and I recall it getting knocked across the room by a flying tennis ball with no ill effects. As I don't often break wine glasses (tennis balls aside), the thing I appreciate most about them is that they don't scratch like ordinary lead crystal, which makes cleaning them much easier.

But then, Schott-Zwiesel's titanium-zirconium lines are rather difficult to find in the States -- anyone know an online store that carries a wide selection?