• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chateau Mouton Rothschild

adrian1

I have the opportunity of aquiring either:

1970 Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Premier Grand Cru or the 1988. Unfortunately I can't get both.

Is anyone out there lucky to have tried either. I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance.

1970, if it has been stored properly should be singing. I'm assuming you plan to drink it shortly upon acquisition.

I have a bottle of the 1988 myself, that I have yet to try. The interest thing about that one, for those who are marginally interested in point scores, is that Wine Spectator gave it 100 points, while Parker gave it 89, I believe. I also believe that Spectator lowered its score upon a subsequent tasting a few years later.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Either would a delight. I tried the 1970 about a year ago and like many 70's it still had the austere edge to it. Go with the 1988 :smile:

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

We bought a case of that 1988 Mouton on release based on the Spectator's review (our first ever first growth purchase). The last time I cracked a bottle I scored it around 85/86 (not that I actually score wines when I taste them, but this is where I thought it would land). The remaining 9 bottles were auctioned off earlier this month.

I would strongly recommend the 1970 unless you have an aversion to older wines. Not sure what (or if) you're paying, but the 1988 isn't worth much IMHO.

I have the opportunity of aquiring either:

1970 Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Premier Grand Cru or the 1988. Unfortunately I can't get both.

Is anyone out there lucky to have tried either. I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance.

Being pedantic I wouldn't get a 1970 Mouton Rothschild, Premier Grand Cru as it never exsted. In 1970 Mouton was a Deuxieme Grand Cru.

I would prob take the 1988.

Edited by ctgm (log)

for immediate consumption, ill raise a bit of a dissent from all the calls for the 88 and take the 70. my experience with the 88 recently was not fantastic. i think it showed a lot more promise than is being realized in it, so i wouldnt necessarily buy it to cellar either.

my one tasting of the 70, a few years ago now, still stands out.

I wouldn't buy any of them.

The 1970 is a risk since you will never know if the bottle was stored perfectly for the last 33 years.

The 88 is a big disapointment and since the Baron is no more, Mouton has changed and the vintages 88-89 and 90 are just really disapointing and really not up to the other 1GCC from these vintages.

If you want a Mouton absolutely, try to find a perfect bottle of the 82 or 86 (the 86 is not drinkable now, way too young but the 82 is perfect at the moment).

Wine Searcher data aside.... does someone here have an idea what would be a fair price for a bottle of 2001 Mouton???

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar

Just tried at a private tasting the 82. 83, 86, and 88 yesterday. In order of preference: 1986, 1982, 1988, 1983. I'd still buy the 88 if the price is right.

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Stephen,

don't you think the 86 is a little too tannic now? I had it 2-3 times during the last 2 years and this wine is way too young with masses of tannins like many 86.

BTW, I had my first perfect 1982 of Mouton 2 weeks ago. For the first time this wine was really amazing, still so young, perfectly balanced and so long.

The price for the 2001 should be around, 130$ and 170$usd.

Stephen,

don't you think the 86 is a little too tannic now?  I had it 2-3 times during the last 2 years and this wine is way too young with masses of tannins like many 86.

BTW, I had my first perfect 1982 of Mouton 2 weeks ago.  For the first time this wine was really amazing, still so young, perfectly balanced and so long.

The price for the 2001 should be around, 130$ and 170$usd.

Yes you are right about the tannins in 86...I just liked it the most out of the flight.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

MY BLOG

was back in the states to do a few wine dinners and the first night, 1929 was poured from a standard bottle. right out of the bottle it drank amazing but faded in the glass. wonder how the magnum would be... someone once said "if you can't afford such wines, its nice to know someone who can." :wub: