• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

renkon (lotus root) chips...

recently i bought some lotus root with the idea of deep-frying it as snacks/garnishes. here it is after rinsing:

gallery_7958_2957_118422.jpg

during frying:

gallery_7958_2957_42987.jpg

and when they are hot and crispy after frying: :smile:

gallery_7958_2957_25639.jpg

my questions are: has anyone tried this with sweet potatoes, gobo (burdock), taro, or any other root veggies? it'd be nice to make a little mix of fried root chips. if you have tried this before, do you have any suggestions, for example, of veggies which just don't work out so well?

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

gobo chips (ok, more like sticks) are one of my favorites:

gallery_6134_91_1103245049.jpg

renkon chips are quite popular as a salad topping here in Japan, I have been served them that way a number of times.

I have never tried taro as chips, but it is wonderful deep fried :biggrin: , sweet potatoes I have also done and they turn out lovely...

kabocha chips are nice but it is really hard to slice them very thin.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My wife and I made non-fried versions of yasai chippu (vegetable chips) a couple of times when my children were smaller, using a microwave. Like Kris said, kabocha chips are wonderful. So are kabocha rind chips. :biggrin:

my questions are: has anyone tried this with sweet potatoes, gobo (burdock), taro, or any other root veggies? it'd be nice to make a little mix of fried root chips. if you have tried this before, do you have any suggestions, for example, of veggies which just don't work out so well?

Frying lotus root chips. Interesting...

I have fried sweet potato chips before. They were a little bit like what we had in "House of Nanking" (San Francisco). The upper right corner is the fried sweet potato chips. Soft, sweet, camaralized. Taste terrific.

gallery_19795_2014_4367.jpg

My favorite is fried taro chips. You need to slice them very thin (it's easy with a mandolin) so that the chips turn very crispy.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 3 weeks later...
Kristin--does the gobo (burdock) have to be peeled, or can it just be well-scrubbed under warm water?

Never peel gobo! :biggrin: the skin has the best flavor, just scrub it to remove the dirt.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"