• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Party

Hi Fellow Egulleters,

We had our very first Dessert Tasting Party. Eventhough we were nervous about

getting all the desserts finished on time, everything went smooth. Everyone

seemed to have really enjoyed all the desserts and the evening was a great

success. Here are some pictures of the two dessert tables.

Les and Jeff

gallery_39446_2956_387085.jpg

gallery_39446_2956_685703.jpg

gallery_39446_2956_682016.jpg

gallery_39446_2956_154100.jpg

Edited by pastrychefwanttobe (log)

WOW!! That is one impressive spread. Can you talk about what items you served and how long it took you to get everything put together. How many people were there and got to sample all those delicious treats. Wish I were one of them... :wub: What did you serve as drinks?

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Hi Newbie,

We started a week before the party with some preparations and then in the two days before the party went all out to make all the desserts. We had around 35 people. We served a number of wines but the one that was most popular was the Cowichan Valley Blackberry Port. Here is a list of the desserts:

- Hazelnut Ganache Tart (aka PH Nutella Tart)

- Gingerbread Pudding with Caramel Sauce

- Sweet Potato Cheesecake

- Triple Coconut Cream Pie

- Key Lime White Chocolate Tart

- Chocolate Dome

- Gateau aux Crepes

- Plasir Sucre

- Creme Brulee

- Hand Dipped Chocolates (Lavender, Burnt Caramel, Caramilized

Ganache with Sesame Nougat)

- Pecan Turtle Pie

- Peanut Butter Bark

- Dacqoise Cookies filled with Chocolate Whipped Cream

- Cheese Bougatsa

- Lemon Sorbet in Lemons

Les and Jeff

Mmmmm, gingerbread pudding with caramel sauce. I was very fortunate to get to try the infamous g-pudding at the Hamilton Street Grill in Vancouver and it was FABULOUS!!! What desserts were the "hit of the party"?

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Wow, great job. That's quite a spread. If you and LordBalthazar got together...I'd better not go there.

With so many desserts to choose from, which ones stood out for you personally?

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Yes, I heard some great things about LordBalthazars last chocolate tasting.

The top three desserts for people at the party were:

1) Gateaux aux Crepes

2) Turtle Pecan Pie

3) Key Lime White Chocolate Tart

Our top three:

1) Plasir Sucre

2) Hazelnut Chocolate Tart

3) Triple Coconut Cream Pie

Les and Jeff

Hi Lorna,

No the Plaisir is not too difficult to make, it just requires time to make as it involves making 5 seperate components of the Plaisir (the Dacqoise, Praline, Chocolate Sheets, Chocolate Whipped Cream and Chocolate Ganache). But I have to say it is well worth the effort because the taste is incredible. The Plaisir is chewy, crisp, rich, soft, and crunchy with every bite.

Les and Jeff

Thanks for reporting. It all looks wonderful! I've been thinking of hosting a dessert evening as it would give me an opportunity to make a lot of delicious things without having to eat them all! :)

Did you have a lot of leftovers or was it about right? What time did you start your evening? Was it instead of dinner, or after dinner?

What did you really like about your eveing and what would you do different next time?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

We had the right amount of desserts, we maybe could have made one or two less, but we liked that there was so much variety. It started at 7:00 pm, so most people had a light dinner. The evening went smooth, so we probably would not do anything different. It helped that there was two of us as we each made half the desserts.

Les and Jeff.

Very impressive! Were there a lot of leftovers? And, how long did it take to put everything together?

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!