• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rehearsal dinner

phlawless

I need some recommendations for a friend's wedding rehearsal dinner in June. The wedding is in Black Mountain, and they would prefer to have everything there, but are willing to travel to Asheville.

Requirements:

-preferably italian

-accomodate 25-30

-wheelchair accesible

-not a crazy price

Anyone have any suggestions?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

La Caterina Trattoria has a website with a menu and the prices ...

La Caterina Trattoria is a favorite Asheville restaurant and has become known as one of the best Italian restaurants in the South. Opening its doors in 1994 it was originally located in a small storefront on Pack Square in the heart of downtown Asheville. Ten extremely successful years later the restaurant has moved to a larger location on 39 Elm Street providing the chef with a kitchen that compliments his skill and the guests with an unpretentious, vibrant environment in which to enjoy great Italian food.

Savoy Cucina also has a delectable menu online here and includes the prices.

The Award Winning Savoy is a modern restaurant with the perfect balance between rich elegance and friendly comfort. The menu features an array of innovative dishes that provide a creative twist on traditional favorites.

Vincenzo's

One of our guests graciously described the Vincenzo's Ristorante as"elegant, comfortable and better than wonderful". We strive to leave you with the same opinion. The Ristorante is our elegant, white tablecloth dining room. Named the areas most romantic restaurant, the Ristorante is dedicated to providing wonderful food, outstanding, knowledgeable service, a wine list featuring Italian wines unmatched any where in the area, all in an atmosphere where memories are made.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My family has had a house in the mountains outside Black Mountain since before I was born... I know Black Mountain a bit. This is an easy question: There is no Italian in Black Mountain, so it's Asheville or nothing.

If you want something more Black Mountainesque, give the folks at the Red Rocker Inn a call. It's not exactly sophisticated and urbane (although presumably you're not in Black Mountain for those things anyway), but it is excellent. The best place in Black Mountain, I'd say.

In Asheville, you might consider Gabrielle's in the Richmond Hill Inn.

--

I second the Red Rocker Inn. I used to have a client nearby and always stayed there when I visited, and was thrilled to wake up for breakfast, or take the client there for dinner. If I went to a wedding in a place as beautiful as Black Mountain, I would want to eat fresh local food rather than italian,.......just me. I assume ya'll have some reason for wanting italian though.

To my mind the best Italian food in Asheville is either Vincenzo's or La Caterina Trattoria. Vincenzos, however, is not wheelchair accesible, and parking for that size crowd could be troublesome downtown.

La Caterina is just outside downtown with a large parking lot and should be able to handle your party. I love the house made sausage there.

Haven't eaten at Savoy in years so can't comment on them.

Johanna

This isn't my deal, just some friends who I'm helping out. The groom's parents live in Jersey and are pretty old school italian, so the couple wanted to incorporate an aspect of his/their family in the week end.

I think they have chose to go with La Caterina. I'll report back after the wedding...

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Ah, I figured there was some reason for the italian connnection! They should not go wrong wtih Caterina's. My husband and I still think about a dish we had there.....very simple pasta but incredible flavor. The closest we have had to food in Italy anywhere. I haven't been since the move but PAck Square, but it should be great! Have fun!